Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tested moderate for sleep apnea right before my surgery, < 2 episodes per hour now so I no longer need my CPAP but I keep using it cause I'm addicted to it!! Strap on that mask and go right to sleep :biggrin:

I was tested this past spring and was told I had severe sleep apnea. I didn't have a clue!! I really thought I slept like a baby all night but I still woke up tired. I think they said I stopped breathing for almost 40 seconds at one point. Finding out I have this is one of the pushing factors of me going through the steps for lapband. At 35yrs old and father of 6 with heart desease in my family I have to do something before something happens to me........

I tested positive for it and now use a cpap machine to sleep, uncomfortable, but not for long lol

How many people tested positive for sleep apnea? I have my overnight in a couple of days and was just wondering.

I've had a couple of tests for sleep apnea done over the course of my lifetime. . I've tested postive and it had been recommended once to put me on a Cpap, but of course I think that is dumb and said no. . . if you've had the test, you'll see why its dumb, who in the world could sleep with that gaget on! :biggrin: Good luck!

I have sleep apnea. Test showed I stopped breathing when going into stage 3 of sleep. Now use a nasal cpap and actually really like it!

Any Ideas on how to get used to it?:bored:

I tested positive for it and now use a cpap machine to sleep, uncomfortable, but not for long lol

any tips for me? I hate and cant sleep with mine :bored:

Well, I had my test last night. I assume everything went well since they never woke me up to put on the mask. I went to bed around 10:30, they came in around 5 and took everything off and sent me home. I assume that is good.

Brent

I had to do the sleep study. It was the worst thing I HAVE EVER DONE! I was miserable for the whole 8 hrs. They said I have severe sleep apnea. I told the sleep study drs that the statistics were inaccurate because I only sleep on my stomach. When you are a stomach sleeper then you dont have the problems that the back sleepers have with the breathing. I have something called shallow breathing but they said it was severe sleep apnea. I am only doing this so I can get my surgery. It is good in a way cause it shows its a comorbidity but the day after my surgery, my breathing machine gets returned!!!!

My C-pap is 2 come Fri Oct 2nd so we will see if I can get used to it.

Tory,

Did you use the mask or the nose pillows? I have severe sleep apnea and use the nose pillows, they're so much easier to deal with than the mask!!!!! I'm very closterphobic!!! I had to redo my first sleep study because I had an anxiety attack because of the mask! Once they gave the pillow I had no problem. You really do feel a lot better once you get used to the machine. It was like night and day for me! I just did a home apnea link and am hoping that I can turn down my C-pap setting since I've lost 70+ pounds. I really hope to get off completely soon. Good luck with yours!

Hi Jeepman,

Like I said in the previous post...get the nose pillows if you can! My C-pap is set at 15, hoping to go way down on that setting soon. Good luck with yours! They really aren't that hard to get used to, and you'll feel SSSOOO much better!

I have used a CPAP for approx 10 years. I had no problems at all getting used to it. I was not able to use the nasal pillows and use a mask. Everybody is different. If one type of mask doesn't work your you ask for another until you find what works. :smile:

Liftingchic, try different ones. I first had a mouth mask with nasal pillows. I'd wake up because of dry mouth, nose hurting due to the air pressure/dryness and the pillows would blow out of my nose. I like the idea of the pillows though. I decreased the air pressure on my left nostril by putting a rubber band around the base of the pillow. My skin around the edge of my nostril was irritated, so I cut a piece of flannel with two holes and put them under the rubber bands. I then made a strap with flannel and velcro to hold the pillows in my nose.. I still had problems though. I now have a nasal mask and love it. Not the gel kind (that irritated my skin), but with a rubber cushion. Also switched my machine for a Fisher/Paykel sleep Style 600. This machine puts out more humidity and comes with heated coils in the tubing. Hence, rain out is less likely so you can do higher humidity. With the nasal mask I could actually turn down the humidity. A feature I liked on the old machine that this one doesn't have is that when you breathe out the air pressure goes down. But I've gotten useto this. Also I purchased on-line a filter that attaches to the tube but before the mask. Was surprised by how much dirt was captured by this filter even though the machine has a filter too! Would recommend getting the filter to everyone. Check it out on cpapexchange.com. You really have to hang in there to get useto it. In the beginning I also experienced some chest soreness. I guess from the air pressure blowing up my lungs, but that has gone away. Another thing I did...with the nasal mask I have this plastic thing across my forehead. Couldn't stand the two cushions on it. They created pressure points on my forehead and hurt. So, I took the cushions off and now cut a piece of a hand towel and put that between my forehead and the hard plastic. Now no problems! Yes, I really worked at making this work. I watched a TV show about a person who had a heart attack because they had sleep apnea and their heart just couldn't handle the stress anymore. Convinced me! Get creative! :smile:

I've had a C-PAP for over 10 years and LOVE IT !

Me too. I didn't know I could sleep so well. One thing I discovered during my sleep test: my O2 level in much higher with the CPAP.

Edited by GoneFishin
spelling