Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting in enough calories?

Hello,

I was banded 08/31 and now I am on solids. But I am only getting in about 500-600 calories a day. I am basically eating yogurt, egg, cottage cheese, turkey, chicken breast and fish. And don't forget the Protein shakes!

I am eating the recommended portions and have not overeaten. I have been getting at least 60 grams of Protein in a day.

Not supposed have to have veggies or fruit yet. Can we eat red meat yet? (like ground lean)

How are we supposed to lose eating so little calories? I know my body is taking everything I am eating so how do we get up to the 1000-1200 calorie range?

I do not get filled til 10/22. Someone was saying once the swelling is completely gone and everything completely healed, the hunger will come back. That has not really happened yet.

Since I started mushies and food and have only lost 1 lb! Compared to the 15 I lost on liquids after the surgery!

Would love to hear what others have experienced and when they found their groove, so to speak. Would be interested in knowing what and how people are eating to get the calories in.

Edited by tke100

I would like to know this as well, my circumstances are identical to yours. I was banded on the 15th, and am allowed onto the mushie stage right away. However, for the first 2 weeks I have to follow a very strict diet and when I have added the calories up, it only comes to about 600 a day.

The diet gives me alternative menus for each day and whichever one I choose only get about the 600 calorie mark. This is fine for now because I have no hunger with the swelling, but like you, I do not get a fill for 6 weeks and I am sure the hunger will return.

The hunger will return.... trust me! :biggrin:

Then you'll be posting on here saying "Oh noooo I'm so hungry and I don't get a fill for weeks yet!!" :smile:

The other thing to remember is that your hunger will not magically disappear at your 1st fill... I'm awaiting my third fill and while my hunger has subsided, it's deffo not gone!:biggrin:

I would suggest talking with your nutritionist. At weeks 3-6 I was getting about 700-800 calories a day and gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. She told me I should increase my calories. It will get easier once you have more of an appetite, but when you are trying to follow their portion rules it gets hard to get the calories in at first. Ask their advice about your calorie intake. I love beef (obviously it would increase your calorie count) and eat it often, but check with your doctor's office to see what he allows you to have at this point.

Thanks for the replies. I just feel a little frustrated right now I guess. Because I can't imagine eating so little and not losing. I guess it all makes sense tho!

Did you find once the hunger did return your calories increased and you started losing lbs again?

I went through this and was SO disappointed (not to mention exhausted) but I called the nutritionist and she told me that I needed to eat more calories and more carbohydrates. I was working out at least an hour a day so she said my body still thought it needed to hold onto calories. She wasn't joking...I had a couple days of eating higher calorie food (15-1600 calories a day for two days) and then went down to 1000-1200 calories a day and the pounds started melting and haven't stopped yet. I increased my workouts again so I added an extra serving of fruit with a boiled egg white and have been doing great. Hope this helps some. Also, when I initially began eating real food again, my weight loss stalled for about a week while my metabolism adjusted. I'm about 6 and a half weeks out now and have found that the first 4 were my most frustrating because of the ups and downs. Once you're body gets used to it, you'll be fine...actually you'll be great!

I am SO glad I found this thread! I am 2.5 weeks post op. I dropped 5# the 1st week, 3# the 2nd and only 1# so far this week. I am averaging about 700 cals in per day and avg of 300 per day post excersise and the scale is NOT moving now. I'm afraid though if I spike up my calories to lose that I'll get back into eating mode and then it's all over but the crying. Besides... how do you get your calories up without breaking the "golden rules"of no eating over 1C per sitting and no snacking unless your meals get 6 hrs. apart? If I eat ... I"m bad... If I don't eat... it's bad... How confusing!?:(

Man oh Man and I ever glad I logged on tonight. This thread is the exact thing I needed to ease my mind. I was banded 9/3 and am basically having my 2 Protein Drinks and 1 to 2 cups of very thin Soup and that's it. I don't tolerate yogurt. Yet here I am, not losing weight! Very frustrating until I read the above thread. I can't thank everyone enough. I feel so much better.:(

Thinin10...I don't know about your surgeon and nutritionist but mine told me those "golden rules" are really for those people not doing what they should be in the exercise dept. While you shouldn't be eating over a cup a meal because of the size of the pouch, eating 4-5 meals a day is a pretty common occurance for people exercising a lot. I added some extra calories to meals with low fat sour cream, a small amount of naked juice (lots of nutrients!), and allowing myself to use real ingredients rather then just fat free and sugar free. It is important to watch calorie intake if you're eating 4-5 times a day though. I actually eat meals that are like 3/4 cup to 1 cup depending on what it is. Don't forget that fruit has a lot more calories then veggies and healthy carbs before a workout. Sparkpeople is a GREAT site to keep track of your intake. Make sure you're getting what you need so you're feeling good and that you're not trying to increase your calorie intake by eating low quality food. I'm glad this thread has really helped some people...It's helped me to talk about it all!

dreak22: Thanks for the advice! I will wait til the end of this week and see if I do a drop towards the end and if not, I will call my dietician and get the ok. I do know from past dieting that doing 3 tiny meals with high Protein and only good carbs of 200 with 2 Snacks at about 100-200 calories or so worked great for me... so I was not taking in much more than I am now, but eating every 2.5-3 hours. I think If I don't drop this week I will indeed get the ok to do that. It feels great to know this is a common problem. I've learned so much from this site. Thanks all. Oh:biggrin:... and I do log what I eat on line. I use the livestrong/my plate site. I can track food, Water, nutrition, calories, excersise with a burn rate customized to my wt.and there's a journal spot too so I can track how I'm feeling, when and why.. Great site but it does move SLOW. thanks again all.

You should follow your doc's rules, but I'm not sure why no fruit or veggies if you are on solids now? I'd call and review your diet to figure out what's going on if you're eating the amounts they gave you (I'm sure they want you to have more than 600 cals. by this point). Maybe ask about adding some Snacks for a little while if you can't get more in at meals.

My doc's information was to get 1000-1200 cals per day. Also said anything around 800 cals. or less will put you into starvation mode and stall your metabolism so you'll stop losing (you'll lose for a little while, that's why we get a post-op loss, but your body will figure out it's not getting fed so then it stalls).

Happy losing all!

Band Groupie, thanks.

I am wondering the same thing because without the fruits and veggies and sticking to the 2-3oz portion sizes I am not getting the calories in. They gave me a handbook that says no fruits n veggies until the 5th week! For example dinner is 2oz chicken, that's it.

My average calories are 500-600 and I walk 2 miles a day burning up to 300 calories. hhhmmmmm

I missed that you were so early post-band. You'll be able to get in the cals. once you get the fruits and veggies week 5.

The first 6 weeks is just for healing...not weight loss. The stitches, especially those holding your band to your stomach need to heal without you eating things that might disturb it. If you eat too many solids your bottom stomach moves around more when it's moving the food along and digesting the food...this can pull on the stitches...and filling up your pouch more than a few ounces would do the same thing. I'd ask if you're allowed more meals a day or some Snacks to get more cals. in. At least eat the 3 oz. max you're allowed and eat higher cal. items if you're allowed (red meat vs. chicken?).

I was only allowed Clear liquids and skim milk (no full liquids) for the first 3 weeks...worst post-op diet I've seen here (but I could have things whenever I was hungry since liquids go right through). I did cheat the last few days, but with a few Protein shakes (I was so weak I was getting dizzy...and not because I'm blonde!). Then I moved to mushies and then solids.

Don't worry too much about the weight too much until you're on the full diet (I know, I know...easier said than done). I promise the weight will start coming off again once you get enough fills (my blog today shows when/how I lost the weight so far). Bandster Hell sucks, but it's a small price to pay in the end.

Hang in there!

band-groupie: Great post- thanks. I was never told that about why liquid, soft foods etc. I thought it was to shink our stomachs, get us used to how we should eat and chew. I had no idea it would effect the stitches. GREAT info. I wish the dr.s would explain some of that stuff better- or moreover- their staff (who sees there doctor post op??).

Band groupie: I've got to be on the Protein shakes and Clear Liquids for 4 weeks!! broth, popsicles, Jello and Protein Shakes, that;s it! I'm not banded yet - scheduled for Oct 1st, but I've already ordered Monster Milk (20 oz=50 gms protein) anf those fruit Protein drinks from GNC (my local GNC didn't have any Protein drinks except the powdered ones).

Does 4 weeks on this strict of a diet sound like a long time to anyone? And I'm so scared I'll never be able to eat Pasta ever again!! I think that'll be my last real meal!

Thanks!

Marci