Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does/did Lap Band work for you?

While talking to my husband about my possibly having LB surgery, he asked me why this will work if I've failed at all my other weight loss attempts. (To his credit, he worked very hard at asking this in a sweet, non-offensive way.)

I didn't want to say "because I'm focused this time" or "because it's a big investment and I'd cheat myself if I didn't," because I've said that all before. Everytime I begin a diet, I'm totally gung ho, and truly believe that it's going to work.

I finally explained that my biggest hurdle is overeating and a LB will help me combat that.

The only other thing I could think of to say was that most everyone who has gotten a LB has been unsuccessful at dieting, just like me. And most of them are larger than me and have been failing at diets longer than me so if they can do it, I know I can. (Sorry if anyone feels tossed under the bus. :) It's a toally valid question and I choked.)

Long story for a short question:

Why does/did Lap Band work for you, above anything else you've tried?

Totally relate to the question, because I asked myself the same thing - before and during. Not sure I have a real answer but here are my thoughts:

1. The liquid diet which I stuck too for 3 weeks was really helpful in breaking my love of white carbs. Why did I stick to this when I had fallen off the diet truck more times then I can count? Well.. I fought with my insurance company to get the band, opened my body up, and had the chance at real change - I wasnt going to risk that for a sandwich. Unlike diet where is is always "Monday".

2. The liquid phase led to real food but I took the time to re- learn what a portion is. Something I am not sure I had ever done on a diet. Not really as a result of the band per se but maybe a side benefit.

3. 1 &2 led to some wieght loss that I could actually see (which was never the case with a diet for me). This encouraged the eating habits and lead to trips to the gym.

My biggest battle had always been portions and the band really helped with that. Mentality I gave up the concept of a diet - if I really want a cookie - I have one, but I dont need 40. I try and make the right food choice 95% of the time and thats all we can ask.

Have you taken him to a seminar with you? I did that with my husband and it made all the difference in the world. This is not easy, but it is successful if you work at it. There is lots of frustration in the beginning waiting to get to the right fill level, but if your main issue is overeating, i.e. Portion Control, then the lapband is an awesome tool. That was my issue. Since my 6th fill I am now at about 6cc and I have awesome restriction. I can eat most anything I want (excluding bread and tortillas) but just a much smaller portion. Also a PB is a pretty good behavior modifier, it gives you immediate feedback that you pushed it or need to slow down. For the first time in my life I feel like this will work and stick and that is an amazing feeling. Good luck to you.

Duh me. I totally forgot about the free seminars! Thanks OnTheWay To Thin. I haven't even been to one myself. :thumbup: I feel pretty educated by my personal research but I don't know anything about my doctor or his philosophy. I meet him Monday at my appointment, I'll ask when the next seminar is so I can bring my husband.

Silvers320, I like your thoughts about how the pre & post surgery diets kind of reboot your system. I know how to be on a diet but I've never learned how to eat.

I hope more people still post their answers.

Because when I inevitably indulge in foods that I shouldnt eat, when I go off the rails for 3 days before my period as I sometimes do, when i get insanely busy for weeks and lapse in my dedication to shopping and cooking healthily, I *STILL* cant eat enough to gain any weight and I can ALWAYS get back on track by making a committment to staying away from soft foods and eating the more solid ones first.

Other than that I choose to eat healthy most of the time and I choose to go out and run every day. But even there, I found those behaviours much more rewarding when I actually saw weight lost as a result. The band gave me the results which enabled me to keep up those behaviours long enough for them to become habit. I now enjoy running just becuase and not because i expect to see 2 lb gone at the end of the week (which never happens any more).

I know this is an oft repeated cliche...but the band is just a tool. It is not a cure-all or guarantee. Just like buying a hamner - if you don't put in some elbow grease it ain't gonna pound the nails by itself.

So why did I get the band? Because it is a tool. And a good one if used correctly. By restricting the amount you can physically take in it will help you control your portions. And if you don't deliberately eat-around the band by having high-calorie, low nutrition junk food it will work. If you use the tool properly it will work.

I also agree with the person above who found that the 3 week liquid diet helped adjust to smaller portions and not having all the while bread and Pasta, etc. After that I can live on a lot less food.< /p>

No one can make this decision for you. It took me a long time to decide to do this. But now that I have I'm glad for it. Good luck.

It was my mindset that has helped me be successful. The lapband is not a diet, but a bew way of living. You have to reprogram your brain about how it thinks of eating and drinking. You have to think of it as a permanent physical change.

Because the lapband is always there and you can't turn it off. It is always a constant reminder of changing my habits.

It is not an easy process but the lapband sure helps!

I agree with Jacqui and Trobison. My band keeps me from overeating at every meal, every day. Before, I used to eat just a little too much at each meal, then "splurge" once in a while. That added about 10 pounds a year for around 6 years. With the band, I sometimes have dessert or a treat -- but I never overdo it to the extent I would have pre-band.

People say that the band is just a tool. . and that it's not a magic wand. That's absolutely true. BUT, if you follow the rules the majority of the time, it works like a charm. I love it. And, I've failed on enough diets (or succeeded, then gained it all back and more) to know that I would not be doing this well on my own. It just makes it easy to stay the course long-term.

Catherine