Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op- What can I eat exactly??

hey everyone! I was banded on 9/8/09 and my dr. wants me to be on liquids for two weeks. So far I've just been having Water, crystal light, Optifast shakes, and broth here and there. Is anyone eating actual Soups or anything? What else is part of your full liquid phase?? Any help/suggestions is appreciated!!!

It depends on your Dr. Check what is on their list. I was allowed yogurt,soup, custard etc. It was fine so long as it was thin enough to go through a straw, but every Dr has different requirements so stick with what yours recommends.

Yes, call your doc for clarification. For example, I was on liquids for 2 weeks but week one was Clear Liquids and NO Protein Shakes. Each doc is different. Call and find out exactly what yours wants you to do.

Hey there,

I'm 2 weeks post op. My doc wanted liquids only for at least 2 weeks, and it was tough. You might want to try different shakes from the Vitamin store.my magic bullet blender was really helpful, it still is really....In a pinch, i found some ready to drink ones at 7-11 that fit within the guidlines...200 cal, 3g fat 5g sugar, but thats different for everyone.

In the beginning i was a little scared, that i wasnt getting enough calories......but thats ok now.

Good luck to you! Email me if you ever need anything....givempills@aol.com

-Bill:smile2:

Thanks everyone! My dr allows me to go on full liquids the day after surgery and the info I was given basically recommends Water, crystal light, and Protein Shakes only but I had read that others were eating Soups, pudding, etc so just didn't know what "full liquids" meant exactly. I guess I'll stick with Protein shakes and water for 2 weeks but I'm also concerned that I'm not getting enough calories. I've been getting around 3 shakes in and that just doesn't seem like enough. I'm only 2 days post op though so maybe I'll be able to get more in as the days pass. How many protein shakes were you guys able to get in during the post op liquid phase?

Call your Dr. Their office should have given you a list of foods and the progression they would like you to follow up to solid food. My clinic has a nutritionist who gave me a list. I had an hr by hr for that first week and they had me drinking something every hr with a rest the 4th hr! I believe I had all the things you listed and was required to try to get in 3 or 4 Protein Shakes a day. I was very hungry by the 4th day and they let me start cream Soups then, but every Dr is different and you need to follow their instructions which of course they should have given to you! Good luck to you. It goes by quickly and you will be eating real food in no time!! Let yourself heal properly as it is so important.

You're correct - as the days pass your appetite will slowly return and you'll be able to increase your calories and intake. It's not unusual to be low on calories at this point. Just do your best!

Good luck!!

I was on "full liquids". My doctor said, low fat broth, cream Soups (strained of any solids), SF popsicles, SF pudding, yogurts, cream of wheat, Protein Shakes, FF or 1% milk, Water, crystal light, etc. Check with your doc though to be safe! 2 weeks was tough but then you get mushies and you think you are in heaven! LOL Good luck

I am 4 weeks post op now...

hey everyone! I was banded on 9/8/09 and my dr. wants me to be on liquids for two weeks. So far I've just been having Water, crystal light, Optifast shakes, and broth here and there. Is anyone eating actual Soups or anything? What else is part of your full liquid phase?? Any help/suggestions is appreciated!!!

congrats on the banding I was banded 9/9/09........the dietician that I had to see gave me a packet that I was supposed to follow in phases.............

I was on clear liquid for 3 days then I move to full liquids for the following week and a half which is like Protein Shakes and yogurt with Protein Powder and stuff like that (things that can fit through a straw) I will move to purees next then soft solids then solids .

Now you can follow these activities...

Week 1 – 2: Full liquids

Week 2 – 4: Full Liquid/Pureed

Week 5: Transition to Soft Foods

Week 6: Transition to Regular

Week 7+ : Regular- Raw Vegetables and Fruits, Lean Cuts of Red meat chewed thoroughly.

Exercise is the other key factor to making your weight loss winning and lifelong. Diet alone will help you lose weight, but adding in a daily amount of work out will help you burn calories and fat which will lead to faster weight loss with more results.

Whole discussion already discussed on this track:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/how-long-liquid-diet-86625

Hope this will help you a lot.

on full liquid you can have popsicle sugar free of course, yogurt, broth, freeze pops,protein shakes