Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Stories

09-09-09

I got my LapBand and thought I would share my surgery story with everyone. I was scheduled to register at 6:30 am at Central Baptist in Lexington which meant waking up at 3:30 to get ready and roll out around 4:30....ugh! My mom and hubby went with me and we took mom's minivan because I thought it would be easier to get in and out of afterward (it for sure was). We got there at a few minutes early and got the paperwork done. I didn't have to wait long until they came and got me to get in a wonderful hospital gown and get weighed in. I lost 14lbs on the pre-op diet! The iv was started and then my hubby and mom were allowed back there with me. I got to meet everyone working with me that day, they were all amazing and answered all my questions. The anesthesia nurse came by to give me a shot in the iv which calmed my nerves and helped me sooo much. Within a few minutes they were rolling me into the operating room and I told them all thank you before the mask was put on my face. Lights out.

When I woke up it was nothing like my gallbladder surgery. I was breathing fine with oxygen all the nurses were there telling me I had done great and all was well. I told them where the most pain was and I got pain medicine immediately. My family was allowed back and the oxygen was removed. I had to keep deep breathing which was hard because I kept trying to sleep. After a few minutes I was able to get dressed which made me very dizzy and nauseous so they let me lay down for a few more minutes and gave me some anti nausea medicine. I was ready to go about 15 minutes later. I loaded up in the car and I had a travel pillow to keep the seat belt off the incisions. I stopped and walked around once on the way home and kicked back in the recliner once we got here. In between sleeping I get up and walk around, use my spirometer, cough for my lungs to clear and drink a little. That's been the routine for the last 24 hours.

So the gory details... I have 4 incisions one of them is much bigger which is where the port is. My port had to be place under my breastbone which is a worry for me because of wearing bras I think that's going to be miserable. They couldn't put it on the side because of the walls of my abdomen were too thick (thanks a lot doc lol) I have an "ON Q" brand pain device near the big incision which pumps some numbing medicine in there for two days and then hubby has to remove it. The majority of my pain is at that incision so I'm thankful for the little pump. All the incisions are above the belly button and not sore at all at least not now. The gas they pump in you is miserable. I've tried everything to ease it but have had no luck burping or anything. I'm using gas x strips, heating pad, and walking as much as possible. Today I started some chicken broth I'm hoping it gives me a little more energy because I'm starting to feel a little weak from all the Water and nothing else. Tomorrow I'm allowed full liquids so I'll have some Soup with Protein powder. I wasn't given the liquid pain meds like everyone I've read about on the message boards, I got these teeny tiny little pills which work great without making me high as a kite. I opted to get the shots for blood clots, I was borderline on my BMI for them to require them so I figured better safe than sorry. The nurses showed hubby how to do them and they sting a little but otherwise no biggie. I get them in my upper thigh.

So that's it guys, it went smooth and the staff at the hospital was fantastic. They were so friendly and kind I couldn't have asked for a better experience. My surgeon Dr. Weiss spoke to me before surgery and also spoke to my family afterward to let them know how things went. He even told them that my liver had shrunk dramatically and he could tell I followed my pre-op diet just by looking at it. I did have two small salads on the diet because I couldn't handle another shake, but they were only lettuce, Tomato, cucumber and a tablespoon of dressing. Thankfully that didn't hurt anything. Now it's all about recovery and learning how to eat again. I'm so thankful that it all went well and huge thanks to all my wonderful supporters out there!

I hope others post their stories here too and good luck to everyone waiting on their bands! :w00t:

Glad to hear you are doing well. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hey fellow KY girl-I had my surgery 8/31 in L'ville. Spent one night in the hospital and was glad-I'm single and live alone. The nurses were so nice, God love em. I wish we could start a KY thread or group--let me know your thoughts. I'm doing great so far-every day gets better. I can't wait to get to mushies-I want to eat Beans and hummus! Take care-

WooHoo FINALLY someone near me! So far things are going okay, day three post-op was the worse pain wise, but everyday is getting better now. I have some drainage from my port incision but no fever and no bad smell so I am going to just keep monitoring it for now. I can not wait for mushies either, my appetite is slowly coming back and the thought of some veggies sounds nice. Hope to hear from you soon!

Hey fellow KY girl-I had my surgery 8/31 in L'ville. Spent one night in the hospital and was glad-I'm single and live alone. The nurses were so nice, God love em. I wish we could start a KY thread or group--let me know your thoughts. I'm doing great so far-every day gets better. I can't wait to get to mushies-I want to eat Beans and hummus! Take care-

Hi! congratulations on your surgery! Just wanted to let you know that there are Support Groups setup for each state in LapbandTalk. On the home page if you scroll down you will see the section called Lapband Support Groups- then you will see Local Lapband Support - USA- then when you select it you will see the list for all the states.