Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise?

What kinds of exercise is everyone doing? I just joined a gym and I'm not sure what I should be doing right now. I'm 3 weeks post-op, so I definitely will not be working out my abs, but I need suggestions on where to start.

I'm thinking treadmil, elliptical and the stair thing to start.

If you started lifting weights, at what point did you start?

I started at the gym three weeks post op.. Just 40-45 minutes of cardio... i go five days a week. (i did this pre op too since january) i do elliptical for about ten.. then bike for 20 then treadmill for the remainder. I am going to start lifting weights again after i talk to my surgeon on tuesday... You will feel great... so much energy!!

I am two weeks out from surgery today and so far I am just walking, trying to get my endurance back up.

I plan on doing the elliptical and treadmill at the gym as well as my Wii Fit at home. I do like the elliptical and get a good workout but I will have to work myself up on time, starting out at 10 minutes and then adding time weekly. I also plan on doing weights three times a week. My biggest challenge will be motivation to get to the gym... once I get into a routine I generally do well, it is just starting that is the hard part for me. :blushing:

Best of luck for you!!

Thanks for your input. My goal is to start with 3 days each week and see how it goes from there.

:w00t:

Prior to being banded, I was the kind of person who always wanted to work out on my own--I think I was more afraid of being compared to other people than preferring to "do my own thing." Since being banded, I have been doing a lot of classes, and I absolutely love it! I find that I get much better results when I've got an instructor than I do when I'm on my own. For instance, if I'm alone I get through about 3 pushups before I "can't" do anymore. In my class, I can do 10-15--it hurts like heck, but I'm able to really push myself.

I realize that you're not that far out from surgery and probably need to start slow, but once you build up your routine I'd highly recommend checking out what classes your gym has to offer.

Congrats and good luck!

I realize that you're not that far out from surgery and probably need to start slow, but once you build up your routine I'd highly recommend checking out what classes your gym has to offer.

I plan on exactly that. My incisions are healing pretty well and I thought that I would start with a Water aerobics class. I just joined 24 Hour Fitness (costco had an offer of a 2-year membership for $299 that I couldn't pass up) and they offer different aerobics, dance and yoga classes that I want to try.

:thumbup:

I've just stepped up the exercise routine and I'm loving it!

With my busy life-style in mind, my trainer decided my 'mandatory' gym activities would happen every SECOND day. This means that in a two-week period I must go to the gym on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun/Tue/Thu/Sat - this seems to be working REALLY well, because if I have something I need to do in the afternoons I *know* which days I can plan it for without feeling guilty.

My gym routine consists of:

- 5 minutes warm up on elliptical

- 2 x 15 chest-presses (22lbs, then 33lbs)

- 2 x 15 lat-pulldowns (22lbs, then 33lbs)

- 2 x 15 seated rows (22lbs, then 33lbs)

- 2 x 15 leg presses (88lbs, then 120lbs)

- 2 x 15 swiss-ball crunches

- 2 x 30sec hovers

- 10 minutes on elliptical

- 10 minutes on bike

- 20 minutes on treadmill

With the cardio, I am consistently keeing my heartrate between 110-130 for maximum fat burning.

Sometimes I push myself and spend 30 minutes on the treadmill rather than 20.

On the alternate days it really depends on my mood, but at least 4 times during that two week period I hit the pool with a friend for at least an hour - we swim laps, jog the length of the pool, etc.

I don't do any classes at the moment, I've never been a fan of them and still aren't keen. My opinion might change when I'm fitter, but for now, I'm very content challenging myself and doing my own thing. I'm loving the endorphines, loving the energy, loving me!

Edited by MissK

I did elliptical and treadmill for the first several weeks after surgery. I think I was at like 6 weeks when I started adding the weight circuit back in.

I do an hour of cardio - usually the elliptical or the adaptive motion trainer (the one where you can set your stride). Then I do floor exercises and the circuit. On Saturdays, I spend 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the gym. I try to go 2 other nights a week for about 90 minutes. If I can't make the gym, then I use my treadmill at home. My goal is 6-7 hours of working out a week.

I do about 20 minutes on the eliptical or treadmill. I then do some weights mostly working out my arms, back and belly. I do 50 of each. My legs, t highs and butt are made of steel, ( I have no fat there, I wish I did) so i don't work those out too much yet. Once I lose upper body weight I will do more leg and butt exercises. All my fat is from the belly up. After the weights I do a 45 minutes aerobics mix class which usually uses the stepper, arm weights, and ball. The classes exhaust me the most, after the class I am done. If I do a class before I do the eliptical or weights I will not have the energy to keep going! So I always do the classes last. I go at least 3 times a week, but I am forcing myself to do 4 times a week now. I actually feel so good when I am done.

Hi There- I started the gym 2 weeks after surgery with the eliptical doing 35 mins 4x week during lunch at the gym at work.Since then I've upgraded to doing the cardio classes which are 45 mins 3x week, elliptical for 35 mins 1x week and boot camp circuit training 1x week 45 mins. I'm really focusing on the cardio right now even though my surgeon said that weight were okay after 6 weeks post op. Becareful with the kickboxing class, some of the movements are considered ab core work and should not be done till 6 wks out according to my surgeon.

But it is a tremendous energy high ! Even though it hurts sometimes I just feel so damn good afterwards !!!:confused:

You all are so encouraging. Be bless