Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for support / feedback to get back on track!

I too am starting over. I got a fill today. I had not been since May, and some of the Fluid in my band had dissipated, and I had gained 9 pounds...ugh

I have to get back on the wagon, follow the rules, and lose this weight.

Next month will be my 2 yr bandiversary. I have lost a total of 33 pounds, however, that total was at 58 pounds lost, but I've gained 25 back. This is unacceptable. I have to start over. I'm in.

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for your informative reply. I have no issues with counseling. Other bandsters who I have termendous respect for have recommeded it as well. I was put out by the prickly response from one person. I beat myself up enough - that's not what I was looking for. Thank-you again for an educated and informative and friendly response!

Cheers,

Cheryl

Hi Paragirl,

I'm going to schedule another fill as well. Seems like I can eat and eat in the evenings! Very bad behavior. We need to learn from our mistakes and get back on track. The food diary sounds like a good idea but it will be a challenge. I travel for work and eat out every single meal - 5 days a week. Only the weekends home. I know...think like the Nike commercial - 'Just do it'. Good luck!

Cheryl,

I am sure eating out is quite a challenge. My hubby likes to eat out quite a bit too, and my two boys always want to. I know at Red Lobster, they have a good lunch chicken and veggies. Or some type of seafood and veggies. Most places offer some type of diet option, mostly chicken and a veggie. I dont know if this helps, but I am trying.

I think I need to journal too, but it is so difficult for me. I will give it a concerted effort.

Dana

Oh my goodness! I feel like you wrote this about me! I was banded on 9/23/08 also and am really struggling. I KNOW what I have to do but do not know how to get back on track.

OK, Ready,

Here is my two cents. On the road, take the individual Unjury Protein packets. Take a shaker with you and order skim milk or buy some at the local store and have a Protein Drink before you order any food. This does two things: it gets you some protein and secondly, it may fill you up so you do not have to eat too many wrong things. Concentrate on the Protein Drinks to get started again with your weight loss. I was on a plateau for 6 months and started the protein drinks. Up to three a day. Also try to get a walk in and later on, when you can do it, try a stationary bike on the weekends or at the hotel if you stay overnight on business. I have started to lose again but it is a slow process. Slow and steady determination gets you started. I was banded in Aug of 2008, down about 50 pounds with 50 more to go. The weight loss is slow now but I keep at it with the protein drinks. I am still getting fills and not hit the sweet spot yet.

Thanks, John. Every morning I mix a SF Instant Breakfast + 1 scoop unflavored Protein powder with an iced skim grande latte. YUMMMMM...... I get a good amount of Protein, Vitamins etc from the SF instant Breakfast and a caffeine kick from the iced latte. This gets me through the morning. But I tend to snack during the day. I know I just need to make sure the Snacks are not readily available. I 'know' this but tend to snack absent-mindedly. Bad.

KellyO - Believe me, I'm there with ya! We all 'know' what to do - it's actually doing it that's the challenge. We're all busy and do some things out of habit so we're not really aware of our actions. I took many people's recommendation and scheduled an appointment with a counselor. I did a lot of research to make sure I found the right counselor for me. My hope is that the more I actually think about the band, my eating habits and some of the stresses that cause me to snack, the less absent-minded activitites will be happening. I hope.

I can sympathize with your struggle. I was banded 11/07 and originally lost about 90 lbs down from 359 to 272. 40 lbs of that was pre op loss because I had to lose the 10% to have surgery. That surgery date was a huge motivator! I lost over the next few months because I was healing from surgery and really could eat very little. I have since had several fills. I am up to 7.5 in my 10 CC band and have gained back about 20lbs. I am my own worst enemy. I eat soft food, lots of liquids.. things I know I won't struggle with, things I know I can consume in larger volumes. I understand the mental work that needs to go in to this process but I have checked out. I recently went to a seminar offered by my surgeon for new patients to support a friend. I felt so ashamed because everyone assumed I was there considering surgery because I am still so overweight. I did not have the nerve to say I was a patient and a failure. Hearing the information again like a new patient I was reminded that this band is only a tool and as I looked around at the eager faces in this seminar .. I wanted to scream out "it's still a lot of work!" "you will still be dieting" "you still have to exercise" "you still have to watch your calories" Finally, I listened to my own inner screams and thought look dummy you know what you need to do so do it! I am making an effort to go on liquids for 7 days in hopes I will give myself more restriction. My Dr. doesn't want to give me another fill until I drop some of this weight. I hope for all who are struggling they can find the strength to keep fighting. We are worth it!!!

I have really enjoyed reading these posts... I too am sabotaging my band. Got banded in May 07, with preop went from 333 to 245 in Sept 07. Then got pregnant... had a healthy baby May 08 and weighed 235 in June 08. Great right?

No... right now I weigh 268. I eat around the band all the time... I have 6 cc in a 10 cc band. Drink through every meal and wash the food down, eat ice cream, cheesecake, sugary drinks. I'm on the rollercoaster to hell right now!

These posts are helping me look at things... I still have a LOT of weight to lose. Thanks for everyone's thoughts, even though they weren't meant for me I appreciate them!

Steven, thanks for your honesty!

This is a great post.

Lets keep this going!!

Being a few years out, I am also struggling. I think we need to be "accountable" and have the regular weigh-ins.

I think that is a BIG problem for me. Too much freedom.

I chowed down some Choc. ice cream last night and now feel like SHete!

This bites!

The first year was awesome, but now it's all ME that has to do the work.

I don't think that really sets in in the beginning. We are all excited and happy with the results at first then we hit that WALL (plateau) and the rest has to come from us.

I am thrilled with my weight loss so far, but when I look in the mirror I still see the overweight size 14 woman.

BYI...what are overweight women called Plus sized "gals" lol..that bugs me to no end.

Thanks for listening.

:scared2:

It's nice to read this thread and see that I am not the only one struggling. I have lost 50 of the 150 lbs I want to lose but my habits have gotten waaay out of control again. I stopped losing about 1 month and a half ago...only 4 months out of surgery and while I've only gained back about 7lbs, I know it's a slippery slope. Part of the problem is needing a fill, anything and everything goes down without a problem...but my doctor is so busy that it's another week and a half before I go in again. But I know a fill is only part of the problem...I have to get my mental issues back in check. My job has gotten very stressful and I've been dealing with it by eating, eating, eating.

I also plan on scheduling some time with a counselor to try and address the mental issues that are causing me to turn to food in times of stress. I went through a lot to get this surgery and I have a strong desire to lose this week and I have been encouraged by my successes so far...why is it so darn hard to stay on track??

Edited by petuniap

Its comforting reading these posts. I was banded 7/09 had a 3cc fill and have no restriction. I've been eating everything in sight and feel awful. I'm disappointed in myself and the band.

Wow! This was the thread I was looking for. All of you that are struggling sounds just like me.

I was banded in June of 2006. I have not done well at all. I have had a total of 6 fills and 1 unfill. Right now I'm at a fill that allows me to eat almost anything. I have yet to experience the sweet spot feeling. I have had restriction to the point of pb'ing every meal. But to me that is not a sweet spot.

I have a love/hate affair with food. I have sought counseling and personally, thought it was a crock. Months of going I still don't know why I eat the way I do. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to go to counselling, I'm just saying it wasn't for me at the time.

I would love to keep this thread going because I think it will help me to relate to people who have struggled as much as I have.

Thanks for all your comments. It's made me feel that I am definitely not alone in my journey to be healther

Lolita

Edited by lonorth41

Hi I have 8cc in and I am only losing about a pound a month. I can still eat quite a bit but I don't want to get another fill because I am close to my 11cc limit. That concerns me. I have only lost about 23 lbs in 7 months. So, I do understand what you are going through.