Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hate the Band!

I have been banded for 2 years. I can't say I've ever had a good day since. Currently, I am in pain. My port is protruding and looks like a baseball emerging. Most days, I can't eat ANYTHING. My health is overall suffering from lack of Vitamins and nutriets. I want it OUT. I can't lay on my left side, lifting things has become difficult. I went and saw my surgeon about two weeks ago. He seems to think I'm binging and purging. I WISH!! Pretty much told me that the problems I'm having are my own fault and I must be eating because I'm not 200lbs. Why is all the blame on me? Doing more and more research, I am finding that I am not the only one and this is not all my doing. The soonest they can get me in to check it is September 29th. I am suffering and don't know what else to do. :thumbup:

Hope things work out for you...:thumbup:

Me too! I am just tired of hurting and being miserable.

how much weight have you lose? I have only lost 30lbs in 8 months - I have a small restriction -- 1.5 or something like that

In the last two years, appx. 70lbs or so. It is kinda hard to judge because there was a pregnancy in those 2 years. Weight went up with pregnancy and this is before my second fill.

Hi, I have the same problem i can never get a fill cuz i'm not able to pass anything. I am unfilled and throwing up and have bad acid reflux. this has been happening since i got it. i also don't lose weight in three years i've only lost 50lbs it came off all in the first 6 months. They finally listened to me. My band had completely shut. i think it had been doing this the whole time but this time i went in when it happened and they seen it. It was closed like if you put your two fingers togeather. I had not had a fill in a year. I haven't read anyone else that this may have happened to. So they reopened it and said if it doesn't wk then they are going to have to replace it. That's scarey to have to go through this again. I think there are a few of us that got defective bands and they just think because they wk on someone else we just aren't doing what we are suppose to. I did but go tired. so now i eat what i can just to maintain and not feel weak. but they are all the wrong things but somehow i can eat them. I wish they listened to us more.. try to hang in there. there are more of us struggling band users out there.

Kelly;

I’m sorry you’re having problems. But, it does happen. Frequently. There a LOT of people out there with Band problems.

The object at this point would be to try and determine what the source of the present discomfort is, and try and get the band back into “operational” mode, if possible.

You’ve lost 70 pounds, and that’s not bad. But there are other things you haven’t told us, so it’s a little difficult to make suggestions. How much more do you need to lose to reach your goal?

Here’s what I would say, based upon my own experience.

If your surgeon is blaming you for the failure of the band, and you have followed the prescribed protocol for living post-surgery, then you have an IS. (Idiot Surgeon).

I know, I had one.

Since he put the band In you, you need to hear what he has to say about your present condition.

However, if he is blaming YOU for your situation, I would HIGHLY recommend that you consult another Surgeon. You are NOT married to THAT particular Doctor, and very often it takes an external pair of “eyes” to ascertain exactly what is occurring.

Instead of being anxious to have the band removed, do everything that you can to try and make it work. Very often people will give up not knowing how close they were to success. Even when there ARE problems with the bands, it is possible to correct them through various methods.

But first: INSIST that they see you RIGHT AWAY for the problem with your port. That can be serious. You do NOT want that thing popping out of your stomach. That happened to me. Do NOT take no for an answer when they try and put off seeing you. Use the magic word:

Lawsuit.

Doctors LOVE that word. It seems to have a magical effect on them. It makes them leap into action.

Once you have that issue cleared up, then concentrate on making the band work again. Find another surgeon to consult with.

Don’t give up yet. 80 pounds is a great start, and you don’t want to take a step backward if you don’t have to.

Keep us posted.

HH

HH, I did follow eating protocol. It was a struggle to eat ANYTHING and still is. I go 3 or 4 days without eating because it hurts so much. I told my surgeon about the portruding port and he didnt' even look at me. He said that I'm obviously eating because I'm not 200lbs and I don't look sick. I couldn't imagine having another fill, I wouldn't be able to swallow spit! Like the previous post, I ended up eating things that were no good for me just to have something in me at that point. Now, those bad things I can't even hold down. I have called everyday since my appt to see if there is an opening and without fail, there never is. I went to the surgeon for guidance and support with these issues and all I got was nastiness. No, I don't expect hand holding and belly rubbing, but support would have been nice. I just feel so helpless and lost. I want it out! I cannot deal with the pain anymore.

Kelly;

I do believe that you followed the instructions.

It is entirely possible that your band was installed incorrectly, or one of several things has happened to make it function differently than was intended. That kind of stuff DOES happen with the band.

My sense is that you may not get what you need from your present surgeon, in ANY way.

You DO need to get some assistance with the problem in your port, and I think that this should be addressed first.

Were you self-pay, or did your insurance cover the procedure?

HH

I was insurance covered. That's what my concern is about going to another surgeon. I have HMO and I don't think that there is another surgeon in my area that I can go to. I don't feel my surgeon has been there for me at all, this includes his staff.

I just yesterday had a ton of bloodwork done because now I'm having other problems. All of the bloodwork results are going to be sent to the surgeon. My PCP is the one who ordered all of it. I just really hope I can find some resolution and peace. I have a one year old and I can't do things that I want with him because I always feel so physically terrible.

I had the lap band placed on June 8 2009, it was out August 30,2009. I was totally miserable and was having esphogheal spasms. I lost 30 pounds of the needed 70, I am working out, and acting as if I still have the band ie;no soda, no alcohol,little if any bread, eat first drink after,proteins first and I have lost 6 additional pounds. lap bands are not a universal cure for all...

I feel sick all the time, my stomach has been hurting alot, I only had two good weeks out of 6. I was banded July 31st, bad nausea started that night around 1 in the morning. Had nausea my whole first week it was terrible! I actually had to go to the ER they couldn't do much cause it's not where I got banded. I saw my surgeron twice after surgery the first week I think, gave me better nausea pills made me better for two weeks and then I started getting the nausea back and this really weird feeling in my throat. I dry heaved a lot during my first week and my 3rd week, idk what's causing it but I'm so sick and tired of it! I'm 6 weeks and 3 days post op and when I eat I feel like I got to vomit ever since Friday but lucky me I haven't and thank god cause I'm scared to. I told my mom if this keeps up, I want it out on my November break if possible. But only if it keeps happening, I don't know if I can take that, it upsets me that I have to go through that. I never felt the way I am ever in my life before. I wish I was back to myself with feeling awesome cause I never felt nauseated or sick to my stomach unless I was nervous or actually sick, and it only lasted a day if i was nervous and a couple of days if i was sick but I'm not sick or nervous. Argh!

I hated mine, too. I was banded in oct 09. I felt great...until 3 hours after surgery. I threw up for the next week. I couldn't keep anything down-not even Water. I went to the ER 5 times in 3 days. They removed all the Fluid and I left it that way for 3 months. I was never able to tolerate food well. everything I ate got "stuck". I had a 10cc band and never got past 4cc of fluid( that was only because I was determined to accomplish something). I never had a solid bowel movement. I was so depressed and felt like I failed-again.

During my after care appointments, they all asked if I was eating too fast, taking to big of bites, eating meat too dry, etc. . I had an EGD. I was depressed becaused the only weight I lost was 15 pounds the first week and then 20 pounds over the last few months of being sick and all the tests.

I was told my band was in the corrrect place, was not blocked, it just didnt work for me. My GI doctor recommened I have it removed. i was developing scarring for all the acid from my food not moving properly.

I was de-banded today.

I hated mine, too. I was banded in oct 09. I felt great...until 3 hours after surgery. I threw up for the next week. I couldn't keep anything down-not even Water. I went to the ER 5 times in 3 days. They removed all the Fluid and I left it that way for 3 months. I was never able to tolerate food well. everything I ate got "stuck". I had a 10cc band and never got past 4cc of fluid( that was only because I was determined to accomplish something). I never had a solid bowel movement. I was so depressed and felt like I failed-again.

During my after care appointments, they all asked if I was eating too fast, taking to big of bites, eating meat too dry, etc. . I had an EGD. I was depressed becaused the only weight I lost was 15 pounds the first week and then 20 pounds over the last few months of being sick and all the tests.

I was told my band was in the corrrect place, was not blocked, it just didnt work for me. My GI doctor recommened I have it removed. i was developing scarring for all the acid from my food not moving properly.

I was de-banded today.

If you don't mind, where were you debanded? How has the recovery been? How are you feeling now?

So sorry for all you've been through!

I was debanded this past Monday after a three month long battle trying to convince doctors that there was something wrong with my band. I have spent three months vomiting everything that enters my mouth, then after ten days going to urgent care or the ER to get Fluid replacements because I was so dehydrated. I was admitted to the hospital with suspected gallbladder issues. When that turned out not to be the problems they said I had severe GERDS and sent me home. I continued to vomit. Admitted to the hospital a week ago, was found on a scan that my band had slipped and my stomach was kinked. Although I had nothing to eat or drink for 36 hours before my surgery there were left over gastric contents in my kinked stomach, so as that was corrected during surgery I aspirated and collapsed a lung. I ended up in ICU. It is off now and I am slowly healing. It has been nothing but a nightmare for me and I am glad it is off and I pray I has no long lasting effects from this illness.