Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Regrets After Lap Band?

Yes, that I had a doctor that was not so good...I fired him after five years of milking my insurance...and no weight loss and am trying to find another doctor...which is hard because no one will take his patience :thumbup:

I had my lap band revised yesterday because it slipped. Before it slipped, I had lost 54 lbs and was beginning to feel like a real person again. I think I pushed to have more fills because thats what I was reading that other people were doing and I thought that was the secret to weight loss. I now think the secret is finding a balance where you eat less but do not get stuck. And exercise!:thumbup:

Hi,

I was banded in April of this year. I do like my band and I am losing the weight. I do wish I would have researched and considered getting the sleeve which doesn't require as much follow-up care.

The band is a very fickle tool, some days I can eat anything other days I can't eat a thing without getting stuck and vomiting. In my opinion, there is a very big learning curve with the band as far as the task eating goes.

All in all, I have no regrets other than not having WLS sooner.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Donna

P.S. Remember, the band is only a tool. You will need to work very hard to lose the weight. I spend 8-12 hours per week exercising.

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

Okay maybe I posted without really thinking it through. Just a reaction to what I read after earlier in the day I read a sticky post about people being paid to talk bad about the lap band on this site. So it just kinda hit like that.

Anway I am sorry to cause so much anger and bold typing. I take back what I said and ask you all to forgive my fast reaction and bad judgement in posting what I did. I will try not to police the threads in the future. I was not trying to scare anyone away. I would like to be friendly with everyone. Again, I am sorry:rolleyes:

It takes alot of courage to apologize and you did it wonderfully! I'm sure all will pass just like everyone's gas. LOL

I am just 2 weeks post op. My surgeon told me that the lap band does not work in about 10% of patients. He said he doesn't know why but that is the statistic.

I am replying to my own thread:rolleyes: I appreciate all the pros and cons. That is what I truly want to hear. There are a huge percentage of success with the lap band, but it's a little difficult to find the "regrets/problems" with the lap band. That is why I asked. Again, I appreciate all the responses.

I do have one other question.... I have GERD. I am going to the hospital tomorrow for a scope down the throat because of the constant heartburn (even with meds). I've heard the lap band can deminish or even eliminate reflux. Also I've heard that it can make it worse. General consensus? Thanx again!

I had my lap band done kaiser in Richmond, CA last year. I don't regret it at all and i would do it over again in a heartbeat.

I agree that some days are harder than others. Some days i can eat anything the next day I have trouble with everything.

Not sure why, I have been losing slow but steady--which is ok with me. I have had 3 fills and the last one has given me the most trouble--but it is getting better. it is nice to hear other story's about how things are going. I learn something new every time I log into this site

thanks for all the help everyone has given me

jone

Please don’t use this thread as your determining factor for getting or not getting the band. All of us on here are biased at least to some extent and most of us are not medical professionals. The answers you get will be purely anecdotal and related only to the person giving the information. As has been said numerous times before, the band seems to work differently for everyone. Two people following essentially the same diet and exercise routine can and often do lose weight at different speeds. There are tons of people on here that have had absolutely no problems with their bands and others that regret every second they have it in. Will it work for you? Unfortunately you won’t know for sure unless and until you have the procedure. There are bunch of things you can do to make it fail - drinking calories, eating past the band, poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, etc. There are also a lot of things you can do to improve your chances of success – drink your Water, listen to your doctor, take charge of your food intake, start an exercise routine, etc.

So here is my totally biased anecdotal answer:

I love what the band has done for me:thumbup:

I was banded February 18, 2009. I started at 285 and am down to under 195. So that’s about 90 lbs in just over 7 months. I have gone from size XXXL shirts and 44 pants to L/M shirts and 34 pants. During the first 5 months I didn’t exercise much, but have recently started to hit the gym (more to gain muscle than to lose fat). I eat between 900 and 1500 calories each day with three meals and rarely any Snacks – my hunger and energy levels are fine most of the time. I have 3.6cc in a 10cc band and currently feel great (maybe a little too tight). I was pretty lucky in that I had a good amount of restriction right from the beginning and had steady weight loss from day 1. My initial goal was to get to “normal” BMI of 24.9 (I started at 38.7) Now that I am almost there, I have shifted my goal from BMI to Body Fat % (measured hydrostatically). My last Body Fat test was a few days ago and it is “Average” at 21.2%, I am about 15lbs of fat away from an “Ideal” body fat of 15%. At the rate I am going, I fully expect to be at my Body Fat goal within the next 1-2 months.

I am currently at a weight that I haven’t seen since leaving Navy Boot camp back in 1984. It hasn’t been super easy, but very doable. I have had to learn how to eat all over again. I have also had to train myself to think about what I do to my body every day (with respect to calories in/calories out). The whole thing has made me a little OCD, but I feel so good about how I look and feel that it is worth it.

Regrets? Not for a second:thumbup:

Right on Kart! Way to rock the band. :)

At the risk of getting you all fired up HH, WTF???

So……I’m just a little curious;

This person gives an honest reply to the question, and YOU somehow feel like you have to discount/diminish/dismiss what they say?

Their experience with the band was THEIR experience. Not YOURS.

How can YOU possibly have room to talk??????

Do you not remember the way YOU have previously treated ME for stating my opinion???

Do you not remember berating and belittling me??? Calling me stupid??? Ignorant??? Ring a bell???

You "discount/diminish/dismiss" ME simply because I gave my opinion and told of my experience???

I think you have major issues with double standards or do your postings just depend on your mood for the day???:)

I know you will once again talk down to me and tell me I make everything about me, but hell, you've been down right nasty to me. I have the right to point out your hypocrisy.:)

I am replying to my own thread:rolleyes: I appreciate all the pros and cons. That is what I truly want to hear. There are a huge percentage of success with the lap band, but it's a little difficult to find the "regrets/problems" with the lap band. That is why I asked. Again, I appreciate all the responses.

I do have one other question.... I have GERD. I am going to the hospital tomorrow for a scope down the throat because of the constant heartburn (even with meds). I've heard the lap band can deminish or even eliminate reflux. Also I've heard that it can make it worse. General consensus? Thanx again!

Ok, I have just read the additional opinions; read the first ones earlier. First to your question about GERD, before lap band I had it bad, especially at night and would sometimes barf in my sleep--very scary and the burning in my nose and throat was terrible. Also, I was taking Nexium. After lap band, I have had no problem with reflux, and I do still take Nexium. I do have what is called PB when I eat too fast, but the food just comes back up--no acid involved. Now to your original question: my only regret is that I didn't realize I would only be able to eat a small amount of the healthy food I'm supposed to eat, while I can eat unlimited amounts of the bad foods that I ate before--result, I have not only stopped losing, but this week have actually gained. I know there is so much information out there, and I guess I just lost that info somewhere in my saturated mind. Bottom line is, I thought after surgery I wouldn't be able to eat much of any food. I have pretty good restriction now; I am able to keep down my ton of daily meds and I can eat 3-4 oz of Protein and 2-3 oz of vegs at each meal. Still the problem is that if I don't feel satisfied later on I can eat an entire carmel pie or a huge bag of chips and dip, or maybe both. No, I don't wonder why I am not losing, but I do wonder how I can banish my same old eating habits that made me morbidly obese in the first place. And I know people who are just waiting to say, "Yeah, I knew she'd never lose weight this way either because she is too lazy to even eat right":angry: And yes I do know that we are not to be concerned about what other people say, but when you are thinking the same thing yourself, it really is dishearting. The main thing I see from these posts is that I need to exercise much more than I have been. Seems like every time I am determined to really get back on my exercise program one of my many health issues rears its ugly head and then it's just a vicious cycle. :) Sorry, to make you all listen to my rantings, but I'll be glad for any suggestions.

Okay maybe I posted without really thinking it through. Just a reaction to what I read after earlier in the day I read a sticky post about people being paid to talk bad about the lap band on this site. So it just kinda hit like that.

Anway I am sorry to cause so much anger and bold typing. I take back what I said and ask you all to forgive my fast reaction and bad judgement in posting what I did. I will try not to police the threads in the future. I was not trying to scare anyone away. I would like to be friendly with everyone. Again, I am sorry:rolleyes:

:) In that case: Hi :-) nice to meet you.

:) In that case: Hi :-) nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you too. Sorry you are having such a hard time I hope things get better for you:rolleyes:

You are not alone. I havent had the surgery, but I know that there are people out there, who have had no real results with their lapband either. It is a "crap" gamble. But I am sure that the majority of the people out there probably are afraid to come forward and admit that it failed. It indirectly points the blame at the person, not so much the band. It is told to us pre-op patients, that if you do not do the diets, follow the exercise routine, that you are destined to fail......so, when there is no weightloss, I am sure that a person is quick to blame themself.

It sounds like you did everything you could to make the lapband work for you. It was just not meant for you and this will be true to many people. I just hope that I am not one, but if I am, then I will know that I tried and it is time to move forward. Like I said, this is a "crap" gamble. No guarantee that it will work and that you will lose the amount of weight you desire to lose. BUT YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THIS GOING INTO THE SURGERY!

I am sorry that it hasnt worked for you, but I am happy to see that you arent afraid to share your negative experience with us pre-op patients. I appreciate your honesty and thank you! :)

I truly hope it works for you! I think because every 'body' IS different that does make it a 'crap gamble' as you called it...

However, I WAS assured it WOULD work, no question it WOULD WORK. Not that I would be some 'twiggy' but just a normal healthy weight. That has not happened even though I have tried.

I'm going in for a 100% De-fill this week. Plan to let everything calm down and heal for a month + a special diet along the lines of pre-op and post-op<first month< will see if that helps.

Because I paid so much (self pay) I am willing to give it a 2nd try, but IF I wind up this sick and this disappointed AGAIN...well I don't even want to think about it!

I will cross my fingers for you that it works for you! I really hope so!!!

I'm also sorry things haven't worked for you.

Either I'm in the minority or my doctor and his staff who also lead my monthly support groups are the greatest because they tell us all the pros and all the cons (some are really scary). They informed us and remind us about the possibilitiy of food getting stuck, severe heartburn, inward hernia's, bleeding, pain etc. They also give us a list of foods and meds that work best and a list of items that should be avoided. They even have a website just for their patients where you can go to set profiles and logs. They have access to only the section where you mark your weight or keep a list of foods you eat. But they don't regularly check it and they can not access your personal section.

Yea, I'm lucky.

Wow! I'm glad you have such a great surgeonclinic. I'm glad its working for you! Unfortunately there were NO clinics in my area or close to it that performed lapband, there are now. So I had to go to Toronto...so no support groups :-(

Wow! I'm glad you have such a great surgeonclinic. I'm glad its working for you! Unfortunately there were NO clinics in my area or close to it that performed lapband, there are now. So I had to go to Toronto...so no support groups :-(

I think everyone needs support. I still have not gone to a group because it is more than an hour away and it is at night. But I think I would really help me. Do you think it would have helped your experience in anyway?:)