Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Regrets After Lap Band?

A couple of the above replies said after banding they had no restrictions...what does that mean? Does that mean you can eat whatever you want or what? How is that going to help? If you get banded and continue to eat unhealthy meals of course it's not going to work. You MUST change your way of eating.

At my doctors and at the support groups I attend every month they teach you that if you want this proceedure to work you have to work with it and change your eating habits. Lay off the fatty foods and Snacks. A few are ok once in a while but you must drop your old way of eating.

That's why I now appreciate the six month calorie counting, low-fat diet I was on because it was a requirement of the insurance company. This diet helped me learn to eat smaller meals and pay attention to what I put into my mouth. I no longer have a sweet craving or the desire to eat my favorite snack...potato chips.

I did have some fill in my band after surgery, however it was minimal. In the first 3 months I consistently lost on average 10 lbs. then it slowed down. I am now more than halfway to my goal. I had restriction after my 3rd fill and even had to have some removed as I was a little too restricted. You still have to work at losing weight. The band is just a tool to assist you in not over eating. So in conjuntion with the band, exercise and eating the right things, you will lose weight.

Hello my name is Valory andi go to my first seminar on 9-9-09 and have just one question if the band is not inflated when you get the operation then how are you losing weight before your first fill

Hello my name is Valory andi go to my first seminar on 9-9-09 and have just one question if the band is not inflated when you get the operation then how are you losing weight before your first fill

It is different for everyone. Some people take 3 or more fills to have any decent restriction, but I had a little restriction just from having the band placed. But, more than that, I would place the amount I was SUPPOSED TO EAT on my plate and I ate it slowly, as instructed. I found that by the time I finished, I was satisfied. Not stuffed, but satisfied. You will need to practice a little self control until you get restriction. The band helps, but it won't do it all for you.

I have only had two small fills in a little over a year. I can eat almost anything I want, just a lot less of it. Some people like to be fairly tight, but I don't.

I am not sure you should rely on this information, their not even sure how much they paid. Some people just like to make you think what they say is real. Research it really good for yourself and then research some more:rolleyes:

So……I’m just a little curious;

This person gives an honest reply to the question, and YOU somehow feel like you have to discount/diminish/dismiss what they say?

Their experience with the band was THEIR experience. Not YOURS.

Bad stuff happens. Most Band experiences are good…..this person’s was NOT. And many other band experiences have ended badly as well. And I think that HONESTY was what the OP was looking for. The Title of this thread was “Any regrets after the lap band?”, not “Any regrets and I only wannna hear the good stuff”….

So that poster doesn’t have terrific math skills. Tough. That doesn’t mean that they didn’t have a bad experience, or that YOU should have anything to say about it.

“Some people just like to make you think what they say is real.”

Huh? WTF? Well…..maybe it IS real. And that is not for YOU or anyone else to question.

Jeez.

HH

I am not sure you should rely on this information, their not even sure how much they paid. Some people just like to make you think what they say is real. Research it really good for yourself and then research some more:rolleyes:

:) Oh really? Surgical Weight Loss Clinic in Toronto! Dr. Couburn did my surgery. How dare you call me a liar! How do we know YOU are NOT lying???

I paid 1000.00 deposit, paid 16,000 IN FULL self pay prior to surgery. Was on Optifast for 14 days prior to surgery both chocolate and vanilla. Between Optifast, Hotel, Flights, After Care, Medications, Fills (which I have to drive 2 hours to! and pay 150.00 per fill and it's only a Nurse who does it!) personal trainer and all expenses I'm looking at 20,000 total! So YEAH I DO KNOW HOW MUCH I PAID! Want to see the receipts? I'll gladly post them!

Just because I"m a first time poster and the band failed for me YOU Automatically ASSUME I'm lying! How dare you!

People have a right to KNOW if Lapband failed for some people! But people like YOU scare them away. Well you DONT scare me away! I am perfectly willing to say it didn't work. I can back it up and am willing to do so!

I have a right to share that it failed for me, just as you have a right to say it did work.

I DID research, and then I did MORE research, but hardly anyone tells you the PROBLEMS with Lapband.

There ARE people the lap band doesn't work for. There are people that the other forms of weight loss surgery don't work for. WHY? is that so hard for people like YOU to accept??

I have a right to say it didn't work for me. For you it did, so you say. That's great. But for me it didn't. I have never felt 'sated' or not hungry except for the first month after. I am about to have the band emptied in another day. I am going to leave it empty for awhile and let everything calm down in my body. Which will cost me Another 150.00 because I dont live in Toronto and so I have to PAY for my fills.

I went thru hell after surgery, my incision got infected no matter what I did. took months for it to heal. I had to go on antibiotics several times, even though I was using left over surgical soap to clean it and I followed all the rules they gave me. Took me almost 4 days after surgery before I could even leave Toronto. Pain was unreal.

food gets stuck no matter how slow I eatchew it. No one bothers to Really tell you what that's like!

I know I am not alone in this. Bash all you want, I'm not going anywhere. I'm not scared of people like you. I can PROVE everything I have said about MY experience with the lapband.

This person gives an honest reply to the question, and YOU somehow feel like you have to discount/diminish/dismiss what they say?

Bad stuff happens. Most Band experiences are good…..this person’s was NOT. And many other band experiences have ended badly as well. And I think that HONESTY was what the OP was looking for. The Title of this thread was “Any regrets after the lap band?”, not “Any regrets and I only wannna hear the good stuff”….

So that poster doesn’t have terrific math skills. Tough. That doesn’t mean that they didn’t have a bad experience, or that YOU should have anything to say about it.

Huh? WTF? Well…..maybe it IS real. And that is not for YOU or anyone else to question.

Jeez.

HH

Thank you for standing up for the post..or? me? Either way, I appreciate it. I explained it all in new post. I did have a bad experience and am having. But that IS my experience. I wish that when I researched it, that someone had answered me honestly. Had they answered me honestly, then I would of chosen to Not do it. I would have known the lapband is not for me.

Anyway, thank you very much. :)

A lot of the weight you lose before your first fill is due to the post op diet that most people go on. Personally I was on Clear liquids for 3-5 days, cream soups/pureed foods for 2 weeks, and then mushies and back to solids the next 2 weeks. It is a diet just because you can't go from surgery straight back to eating normal because it can damage your stomach and you need the time to heal. Hope this answered your question!

there are positives and negatives with ANY surgery. All the material and doctors state that this surgery is NOT a quick fix. You still have to work at it. There could be complications as stated by one of the previous posters. You have to decide for yourself if this is what you want to do. Take all the research and decide if this will help you loose weight. It won't do it for you.

Good luck on your decision. I have been researching this procedure for a year and I am having it done next month. I'm looking forward to a new way of life for myself and a healthy future.

I fear being bashed for this...but it hasn't worked for me. I was banded July 1608. I've only lost 20 lbs. I don't know if something is wrong? As I've had a personal trainer, I lost inches, gained muscle tone, but didn't lose a single pound.

I regret spending 16K on it. I feel it is one of the worst AND most expensive mistakes I've ever made.

Sorry if that angers people on here, but I think that I should be allowed to say the Lap band can and Does fail and not because the person with the lapband IS NOT trying.

I think there are a LOT more people out there like ME who are just scared to admit it didn't work for them. Why? I don't know? I truly do not know. All I figure is that if you do Not put yourself (or at least me) on a continual LIFETIME diet, you are going to Fail.

What I spent 20K to learn was: There is NO magic cure, you diet, you exercise, you starve= THIN. Anything else = FAT.

I won't bash you. Sorry it isn't working for you. But I truly appreciate your HONESTY AND CANDOR!!! That is why I am asking if there were any REGRETS. As I can see so far, "wishing it was done sooner" seems to be the most so far. Again, thanks for being up front and stating what you feel! Hang in there and see what your doctor can do for you.:)

Because you're body is healing from the operation, most patients are on a predominantly liquid diet for two weeks after their operation. Following the 2 week liquid diet, you have a two week diet of vitamised food (processed mushy food).

Also from what people have said, even though you have not had a 'fill' you still feel restriction.

After the operation, patients are advised to walk a bit to relieve the gas also.

I believe all these things help you to lose an amount of weight post operation before your fill.

Hope this helps :)

I think most of us are happy with our decision to be banded. It was certainly the right thing for me. Down 73 pounds, sompletely off diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol medications. I'm self-pay and my monthly payment is less than the copay for all those meds! And this payment goes away!!!

You do have to make a commitment to go to your surgeon's office regularly, get your fill level to the "right" place and then maintain it. Healthy food choices. And you'll have a period of time after surgery when you can eat a lot more than you need to eat and you'll have to run on willpower for a while but each fill should get you closer to your "sweet spot" and enable your band to HELP YOU do what you need to do.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

Valory, my surgeon told me that right after surgery you will have some swelling around where the band is placed. That swelling will provide a sort of temporary restriction. Once the swelling goes down, there is no restriction until you get your first fill. That initial swelling, plus the liquid diet, etc. is the reason you loose weight right after surgery. I also think that fighting the "gas" is one reason people don't over eat at that time! :thumbup:

:thumbup: Oh really? Surgical Weight Loss Clinic in Toronto! Dr. Couburn did my surgery. How dare you call me a liar! How do we know YOU are NOT lying???

I paid 1000.00 deposit, paid 16,000 IN FULL self pay prior to surgery. Was on Optifast for 14 days prior to surgery both chocolate and vanilla. Between Optifast, Hotel, Flights, After Care, Medications, Fills (which I have to drive 2 hours to! and pay 150.00 per fill and it's only a Nurse who does it!) personal trainer and all expenses I'm looking at 20,000 total! So YEAH I DO KNOW HOW MUCH I PAID! Want to see the receipts? I'll gladly post them!

Just because I"m a first time poster and the band failed for me YOU Automatically ASSUME I'm lying! How dare you!

People have a right to KNOW if Lapband failed for some people! But people like YOU scare them away. Well you DONT scare me away! I am perfectly willing to say it didn't work. I can back it up and am willing to do so!

I have a right to share that it failed for me, just as you have a right to say it did work.

I DID research, and then I did MORE research, but hardly anyone tells you the PROBLEMS with Lapband.

There ARE people the lap band doesn't work for. There are people that the other forms of weight loss surgery don't work for. WHY? is that so hard for people like YOU to accept??

I have a right to say it didn't work for me. For you it did, so you say. That's great. But for me it didn't. I have never felt 'sated' or not hungry except for the first month after. I am about to have the band emptied in another day. I am going to leave it empty for awhile and let everything calm down in my body. Which will cost me Another 150.00 because I dont live in Toronto and so I have to PAY for my fills.

I went thru hell after surgery, my incision got infected no matter what I did. took months for it to heal. I had to go on antibiotics several times, even though I was using left over surgical soap to clean it and I followed all the rules they gave me. Took me almost 4 days after surgery before I could even leave Toronto. Pain was unreal.

food gets stuck no matter how slow I eatchew it. No one bothers to Really tell you what that's like!

I know I am not alone in this. Bash all you want, I'm not going anywhere. I'm not scared of people like you. I can PROVE everything I have said about MY experience with the lapband.

Thank you for your honest response. The question was asked and you answered it. If people don't want you to answer, don't ask the question! I am sorry it didn't work for you. Everyone has different experiences.

I don't have regrets about getting the band, HOWEVER that's because I've had results. But I have had some truly tough times along this journey so I do understand where she's coming from . I also work with someone who it hasn't worked for, so it's not 100%. Every "body" is unique and complicated in it's own way. But statistics show it does work in most cases. So, listen to what this poster has to say you might actually learn something. Nobody should bash her...she should get empathy and support, not bashing!! I'm new here and this is the first post I saw and now I'm worried....

Jeez.

HH

Okay maybe I posted without really thinking it through. Just a reaction to what I read after earlier in the day I read a sticky post about people being paid to talk bad about the lap band on this site. So it just kinda hit like that.

Anway I am sorry to cause so much anger and bold typing. I take back what I said and ask you all to forgive my fast reaction and bad judgement in posting what I did. I will try not to police the threads in the future. I was not trying to scare anyone away. I would like to be friendly with everyone. Again, I am sorry:rolleyes: