Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 weeks for first fill is this normal?!?!

Hi, i had my surgery July 31. My doc is going away for 2 weeks and I have to wait till he gets back to get my first fill on Sep. 17! Is this normal? I am so hungry now i am eating like every 2-3 hours i am afraid i am going to gain weight!:biggrin:

I had my first fill at 4 weeks but was told to lose 15 lbs and then come back for second fill. So who knows how long that will be?

Edited by 123crod
spelling

Hi, i had my surgery July 31. My doc is going away for 2 weeks and I have to wait till he gets back to get my first fill on Sep. 17! Is this normal? I am so hungry now i am eating like every 2-3 hours i am afraid i am going to gain weight!:biggrin:

My 1st fill was either 6 or 8 weeks out - I can't remember but I think most doc do them during that time. Some do it earlier but your band is still healing and imho not a good idea..

You are in bandster hell - the time before your 1st fill

My band didn't take away my hunger - it keeps me full on a smaller amount of food and most of our hunger is more head than physical - I can be physically full right now (and I am at my sweet spot) and I still want to eat - and it (head hunger) for me manifest it's self into what I think is physical hunger..

Just eat healthy - if you are starving have extra serving of veggies - this isn't about dieting but changing your eating habits and try and get some physical activity in..

You can do this - you didn't have major surgery to continue to eat unhealthy - Our band is only a tool - it doesn't make our food choices - We do - and even with the band it takes will power to make these changes...

You can do it - Like I said have an extra sf fudgesicle - or pudding - low fat string cheese - a piece of fruit - or a little more meat at your meal time or extra veggies..

Good Luck...

IndioGirl55, that is great advice. Thanks. It is helpful to me as well. I was banded on 7/31/09 also and am scheduled to see my surgeon again on 9/16/09 for the first fill. I am finding this week that I get hungry about three hours after a meal, but drink more Water and try to stay busy and stretch it out to four hours between meals.

TO LISAFIRE: Hang in there! We'll one day be like IndioGirl55 and passing on the excellent advice from our experience to others in the future.

Yes. That time frame is normal. It is to help give your body time to heal and adjust. I was banded on 06-17 and did not have my first fill until 08-04. Good Luck and keep us posted.

IndioGirl55, that is great advice. Thanks. It is helpful to me as well. I was banded on 7/31/09 also and am scheduled to see my surgeon again on 9/16/09 for the first fill. I am finding this week that I get hungry about three hours after a meal, but drink more Water and try to stay busy and stretch it out to four hours between meals.

TO LISAFIRE: Hang in there! We'll one day be like IndioGirl55 and passing on the excellent advice from our experience to others in the future.

Mel

Those are the things you have to do and it's normal to be hunger in about 3 - 4 hours after a meal - My doc says 3 healthy meals and 2 healthy Snacks.

I find distraction - keeping busy very important - as boredom was/is a big big food trigger for me -

It' one reason LBT has become my transfer addiction - you can't eat as you type :0)

Hi, i had my surgery July 31. My doc is going away for 2 weeks and I have to wait till he gets back to get my first fill on Sep. 17! Is this normal? I am so hungry now i am eating like every 2-3 hours i am afraid i am going to gain weight!:blink:

Hi,

I am in the same situation you are in. I actually called my Dr. and he told me the same thing most are saying here. It is a healing phase. I was banded on July 9th and I am getting my first fill on the 26th, next Wed. I cant wait :) I have still lost about 9 pounds since my first follow up, which is good. I just cant wait to feel more restriction. :mellow:

I was banded on July 15th and have my first fill next week, 6 weeks out. There have been some tough days but I didn't go through all this to mess it up. like others have said, I'm working eating healthier and I'm trying to fill up on veggies. I'm also drinking a ton of Water to make sure I keep feeling full. I lost 25 lbs the first four weeks and haven't lost since but also haven't gained so I'm happy. Ready for that fill though.

Thanks to everyone on this site. It is very helpful.

I was banded july31st too and I might be getting my fill September 16th but he said if Im getting full I won't need it but I get hungry an hour later. I usully have 1/2 cup and it said to go to 3/4 cup which actually fills me up and I through away what's left and it's quite a bit. I want the fill and I'm nurvous he doesn't numb it so I guess that's why I'm nurvous

Oh and my band already has a fill in it from surgery

I had my first fill at just under 4 wks, only because of the date of my surgeon's fill clinic... and I went back a month later for my second fill but had to go back a week later to have him take out some because I was too tight... I will probably get my 3rd fill in about 2 wks. I have the AP Standard, which I believe is a 10CC band but at this point I only had 2 1/2 CC's in my band.. but I have been losing on average close to 3 lbs a week, sometimes more.

I like what Indiogirl said... and I have always had that mentality too.. the band is just a tool... we still have to make good choices.. I know I do Protein before I do anything else.. I had my surgery on May 19th and since then I have lost 34.4 lbs since the surgery and a total of 48.5 since May 4th, two weeks before my surgery... I have very few carbs, which to my surprise, I don't miss as much as I thought I would.

My first fill was 6 weeks after surgery, and my first fill was only 1cc. I drink Special K protien Water to help curb hunger. If I get too hungry then I will have a healthy snack. fruit, veggies, LF cottage cheese, or LF/SF yogurt. I have noticed if I eat things that are higher in protien I don't get as hungry.

My surgery was 6/9, my first fill was 7/27 and my next will will be on 8/28. I can't wait as my band was empty at surgery and my first fill was 4.25cc.

I eat approx 1 cup per meal, and am hungry 2 hours later, I am hoping that I get at least another 2cc's, so I can get some restriction.

My doc does the fills with fluro, so at least we will know if it is too tight before I leave.

I do not know if I am losing weight, as I do not own a scale, I only weigh at the doctor office so that I do not become dependent on the scale. Shoot, I had to have my boyfriend put away the measuring tape, because I wanted to do my measurements every day.

WOW thanks so much for all the replies! I am feeling better about the whole thing now. I think my issue might be what I am eating. I only eat half cup every 2-3 hours...

I am just eating pureed Soups, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I guess i am just confused of what I can eat at this point. (3 weeks post op)

WOW thanks so much for all the replies! I am feeling better about the whole thing now. I think my issue might be what I am eating. I only eat half cup every 2-3 hours...

I am just eating pureed Soups, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I guess i am just confused of what I can eat at this point. (3 weeks post op)

What are your doctor's instructions??? Each are diff and just cuz mine had me on mushies at that stage (I had to do 10 days each stage full liquids - mushies - soft - regular) so by 21 days out I was moving to mushies.. Refried Beans (fat free with a little 2% cheese)

And at the end of my full liquids I was eating about 1 cup of soups.

Are you getting 60 grms of Protein in daily??? Or I should say what are your doc's instruction on Protein - but I would say that most want you to get 60 grms a day - and on the 1st 3 phase I had to incoporate clear Protein drinks (like crystal lite but with protein - ck out Bariatric Choice - they have the clear Protein Drinks - 70 calories and 15 grms pt...