Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uh oh - slippage question.

I got my band three weeks ago today. My band won't be filled for another three weeks. My Dr. had me on the clear liquid diet for 10 days BEFORE surgery, and for 1 month post-op. Although I surprised myself with my ability to stay on the diet so long, (broth sucks!), I had a moment of weakness last week and had a half of a small hamburger. It hurt like hell - and ultimately came back up within a couple minutes (in one quick vomit).

I don't have any pain or nausea - but I have scared myself into thinking I may have screwed up the band - can anyone here tell me what the symptoms of slippage are? I feel fine and I can drink liquids with no problem....could I have stretched the small pouch with that one incident?

Thanks

Well, you could have, but probably didn't. If it hurts, don't do it (duh) and stick to your doc's post-op diet requirements. As you can see, there is a reason for it.

Clear Liquids for a month? Huh? I was adding in Egg Drop Soup after a week. Did I say follow your doc's post-op diet? Check with your doc's office and see if you can add in some Boost or other Protien drink, egg drop Soup (ahhh, the BEST!) and blended and strained Soups.

Here's a good thread link...

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3995

that might give you some good ideas. If you are going to have a moment of weakness, at least keep it liquid!! :D

I PB'd on day 5 after banding and it worried me, too. I kept reminding myself that plenty of folks get nauseus after surgery and don't slip, so I tried not to worry and sure enough, no slippage.

The symptoms are generally reflux problems, especailly at night, PBing, but some have no symptoms at all and it comes back on a baruim swallow or flouro fill.

Keep drinking, see how you do. In all liklihood, you are fine. Good luck!!! OH! And Congrats!

Thanks for the advice. My doc. wants us to take Protein shakes at this stage as well. For anyone who wonders, I like the Myoplex - with a little sugar free soy milk it actually tastes pretty good.

I won't be getting a fill until six weeks out, at which time my doctor said I will feel like I did post-op. I can't wait because right now I don't feel full even if I drink a full glass of Water.

Moonshooter,

To go from broth to hamburger was hard on you. I only had to stay on liquids for two weeks. I could have Protein Drinks, Soup, yogurt or sf puddings. When you ate the hamburger did you eat the bread with it? I still can not do that. I just eat the meat cut up real small and chew it to death. I don't think you have damaged your band. Water never has filled me up. I have always drank plenty of water.