Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped Band-HAPPY ENDING!

It's been awhile since I've been on LBT, and I realize after being back that I've really missed the commradery and support of fellow bandsters. I've been banded for 1.5 years and up until last week have had very few problems. Like most of us, I lost very quickly after surgery and pretty steadily thereafter. I tolerated fills well and only once had to be unfilled. After my year bandiversary, I became complacent and started falling back into old habits. My restriction loosened, I made poor food choices and I stopped exercising. I even fell into a slight depression because I felt like a failure. I didn't stew on my pity pot too long before I picked myself up & dusted myself off. I went in for a fill and life was good. About 2 months ago, I started getting awful reflux. I was waking up in the middle of the night w/burning liquid coming out of my nose and throat and coughing up acid. I immediately went in for an unfill (1.5 cc) and felt better. A week later it came back..and worse! I could barely sleep and when I did, I would wake up with what felt like a cesspool of acid sitting in my pouch. I would just lean over the toilet and projectile vomit dark acidy, foamy contents..it was DISGUSTING. I went back and got a total unfill. Once again, I felt relief. THEN...last Tuesday I woke up and could barely swallow Water. My doc scheduled a regular abdomenal x-ray and 2 hours later I was admitted into the hospital. He said I clearly had a slip and his hope was to repair the band but there was a possibility I could lose it as well. I was so scared and sad. Wednesday morning I went in for surgery and when I woke up, although I was sore, I felt soooo much better. The nurse in recovery then told me I had a new band. I was groggy and out of it, but was surprised that I had gotten a new band. My doc came in later and told me I was " a first" in terms of what he saw when he went in. I ended up having severe scar tissue that built up and repositioned the band. The tissue build up also caused an obstruction and pushed the band up to the point it was "welded" (the term my doc used) to my liver! As you can imagine I was shocked. He was able to clear out all the tissue, take out my existing band and replace it with a bigger one. He said there was no damage to my liver, stomach or surrounding areas. He was also able to save my port and go through the same incisions as my original surgery which has made recovery a breeze! I'm a week post op and have never felt better. Because of the new band I've been on the same post op liquid diet which feels weird a year and half later, but much easier the second time around. Coincidentally, I reached my goal weight this morning:biggrin: I have learned alot from this experience not only from the complications, but from living life as a bandster. I'm not gonna lie...it's not easy, but I sure am grateful I have this amazing tool to help me maintain a healthy lifestyle. I am a recovering food addict and I have surrendered to the fact that I may have to battle those issues, but I'm willing to do the work it takes to keep my addiction in check and the band is my gift that helps me "one day at a time". I will say to anyone who is having ANY sort of symptoms...PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THEM! Don't just brush off a night of acid reflux because you think you ate something to irritate your stomach. And if you have extreme restriction and are throwing up more food than you're keeping down.....YOU ARE OVERFILLED! These are the types of problems that can lead to more serious things. In the end, I am blessed with my outcome. I will not take my band for granted. I will not abuse it nor myself. I am thrilled to have reached my goal weight and plan on continuing to live my life as a "happy bandster". To those who have suffered complications, please know there ARE happy endings!!:)

-Amy

I'm glad you're all sorted and feeling better.

I think you make some really excellent points about not abusing your band - I think many many people are overfilled. It may not be causing much in the way of symptoms but you have to be hyperaware of anything.

Congratulations on being banded again! I am so sorry for your troubles but so glad you posted. It is so good to hear a success story come out of a nightmare.

Congrats on your great progress, and thanks for your post. I had to get a complete unfill this week because I was way too tight, experiencing reflux at night, and vomiting frequently (even liquids sometimes). Now on liquids for 2 weeks to let things "settle" and will then go in for a fill. Grateful to hear from others who have encountered these issues and come through it healthy and happy!

Congrats on your great progress, and thanks for your post. I had to get a complete unfill this week because I was way too tight, experiencing reflux at night, and vomiting frequently (even liquids sometimes). Now on liquids for 2 weeks to let things "settle" and will then go in for a fill. Grateful to hear from others who have encountered these issues and come through it healthy and happy!

Glad you got the unfill and are doing liquids to let things settle down. I hope you're feeling better :thumbup:

Glad you had a happy ending and your surgeon was able to put a new band in for you.

THanks for reminding us all that any adverse symptoms should be checked out ASAP.

Thanks, marathinner! I am feeling great--it was UNBELIEVABLE how, literally the second he removed the Fluid, I felt 100% better. It was on my 3rd fill that I went from not tight enough to way too tight. Hopefully once I resume fills I can get to the sweet spot without going over again.

Thanks, marathinner! I am feeling great--it was UNBELIEVABLE how, literally the second he removed the Fluid, I felt 100% better. It was on my 3rd fill that I went from not tight enough to way too tight. Hopefully once I resume fills I can get to the sweet spot without going over again.

It's amazing what an unfill can do! I'm so glad you are feeling relief. I think your experience will help you get to your "sweet spot" which definitely should not be too tight! I'm happy you are taking care of yourself and your band :thumbup: