Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tighter In he morning

For some reason it seems like I am tighter in the morning. I can hardly eat anyting for Breakfast and for lunch and dinner I can eat alright without everything getting stuck. Is anyone else expericing this problem and is it normal?

Hi, Jasmin I can't wait to see what responses you get, becasue I have been wondering this same thing... I got my 2nd fill on Monday, and I chewed 2 chewable flinstone Vitamins this morning, I must didn't chew them well enough because one got stuck.. and it kept trying to go down.. OMG... I don't like this feeling.. It wasn't hurting like the other Vitamin on Monday that got stuck, but it was uncomfortable. I literally fill my food, vitamin going through the espoghas, stoma, or channel or whatever it's going through... it's a weired filling. I've been on liquids the last couple of days, dr's order and glad I am because the stomach is sore from the fill on monday... I'm kind of scared anyways to start back on solids because of the stuckness of pills, I can't even imagine food.. I would like to know also is this normal.. Thanks Jasmin for asking.

im not sure if its normal, but im having the same things happen i cant eat hardly anything before 3 in the afternoon and after that i can eat fine. i also work nights and have noticed that around 3 am is when it starts to tighten up, so i am curious what causes this?!

Yes - It's normal to be tight in the morning. When you lay down the Fluid in the band....is able to move around and does get tighter. I've found that my morning coffee helps it to loosen some - so I can eat a piece of cheese or somthing small for Breakfast. Don't do like I did @ first & skip breakfast - need to get metabolism moving early in the day.

Good luck......tight in the am means things are working!

I have had this issue from day one after surgery a year ago. At first it was because I drank too much coffee or Water after my morning workout. Now that I am at my sweetspot I don't even bother eating breakfast until I have been awake at least an hour. All my other meals are fine...just breakfast sucks. Alot of the time I just drink a Cappachino Slimfast or mix a little Protein Shake with my morning coffee.

:unsure:Out of curiosity, since the pouch is about the size of 1/2 a cup (4 to 6 oz)....if you EAT 1/2 cup of food, by the time you chew it it's about 1/4 cup....so do you estimate how much the chewed portion will be or measure dry quantity before eating...

To me it makes a difference as far as what amount goes into your pouch

Afternoon, All!

I am definately tighter in the morning. Around my TOM it gets worse - I often go to liquids in the morning for a few days.

I normally can't eat anything solid until around 11 am. I will have yogurt or Cereal in the morning (sometimes even Cereal won't work), or if I'm super-tight, a Protein shake.

lunch is usually okay for a salad or Soup, but nothing too heavy - sandwiches are out at this point, and anything more than a saltine gets stuck.

dinner is my most "open" time, so I have to be careful not to overdo it then...

I'm 8 months out (banded in mid-November 08) and you can see my progress on my ticker. I've had 3 or 4 fills, I forget which, and I think I'm at my sweet spot. Losses are pretty regular...loving it so far.

I have a suggestion that may help some of you. I had a friend who felt her band was almost psycho...tight in the mornings, too tight sometimes, etc. I asked my surgeon and he said the key is hydration. dehydrated people=tight bands.

now, some this doesn't help. But some think it over and realize they are not getting 64 oz of Water each day. If hydration is your issue, drinking will make a quick impact.

I start each morning with 16 oz of Water and my band functions then like it does in the evening. Lying down doesn't make you tighter. Going without liquids for the span you're asleep DOES.

You may want to try the water thing.

I love you restlessmonkey!

Thank you for this tip. I had my fourth fill ten days ago. This is the tightest I have been. I could eat anything before in limited quantities. Now...forget it. My Doc said to eat soft food for a day or two after the fill. Ha! I am now experiencing this tightness right up to dinner time. I am down to a Protein drink....and, some bean Soup during the first part of the day. Even cottage cheese gave me trouble at lunch the past two days. I had the soup at 4:00 PM. I just had an omelette with mashed potatoes with no problem. I have done that most nights this week.

I know I am not getting near enough Water. I had no idea I was causing myself such issues. You have now motivated me to get more Water in. I am a coffee drinker. I know that is not helping.

Water, water here I come!

I wish I could get my ticker to work.....

I am SO GLAD!! What's wrong with your ticker? It looks fine..

but back to the hydration thing. I appreciate you telling me you tried it and it helped; that means a great deal to me! It's such an odd thing to tell people who are (usually) in agony but those it helps, it helps a lot! :thumbup:

And...if the hydration doesn't help, and you know you are chewing well, small bites, then you are too tight. So it's nice to have something to try before an unfill.

If you ARE too tight, often a minute (like .2 - .4 cc) unfill will make a miraculous difference. Good luck! The band wasn't meant to be a torture machine.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

OMG!

My ticker just came on. This is the first I have seen it on the site. Yea!

I just read your tip on the Water. I am going to try it immediately. I know I am not getting near enough Water anyway. It can't hurt regardless. What you say just seems to make sense. I can't wait to try it!!

Ohh..I'm not tortured. I am going with it. This is the best restriction I have had. Most things are off the table. But...I am fine. Maybe your water tip will help. As I lose the band will be less constricted anyway. I have no trouble getting up in the middle of the night swallowing water. As long as I can get liquids down with no issues I know I am good.

Edited by Ruby124

I realized that after I posted! LOL that'll teach me to speed read!

Anyway the help should be fairly quick. Good luck; let me know!

Hi Everyone!

RestlessMonkey - I think you are definately ON to something with the Water issue. Yesterday, even before I read your post, I went to lunch with some co-workers. One of them has a daughter that went to culinary school and now works at the restaurant. I knew it would be primarily sandwiches, which give me trouble mid-day because of the bread.< /p>

For whatever reason, I was really thirsty, so I started sipping Water before our orders came. I was probably into my second glass of water before the food arrived (yeah, I know, I'm not supposed to drink that close to eating) but funnily enough, it DID make a difference! I was able to eat my salad without a lot of trouble, and while I did get a small challenge with the sandwich, normally I would NOT have been able to eat more than a couple of bites. I got through 1/4 of the sandwich (it was a HUGE sandwich) at lunch, and then had the other 1/4 in my car on the way home. The second half became my DD's dinner!

I DO LOVE BREAD, but since I got good restriction, it hasn't loved me back. This was the first time I could eat it without a lot of problems.

Thank you so much for sharing this tip - I thought I was getting enough Fluid, but obviously not - it made an immediate difference!

Now I know I can eat bread occasionally - so I'll save those times for the really good homemade / artisan breads - not the regular stuff from the grocery store! :thumbup::wub::wub::)

I second Monkey's advice. I can't get much down in the morning until after a tall glass of Water. It happens later in the day also if I go without water....so, stay hydrated. I also find that when I am dehydrated, whether it is the morning or otherwise, I FEEL my band....discomfort right there! So, lots of water to keep the band happy.

YAY! I think so many of us, especially if we dieted, hear "water Water water" so much that it becomes like background noise! But when my surgeon told me "bands that are tighter in the morning, or tight at odd times, that's usually related to hydration. Dehyrated people have tight bands" a lightbulb went on for me because of my friend. (I get my water...one of the few "healthy" things I've always tried to do LOL) I am SO glad that it helps!

If you are too tight all the time, it's probably fill. One poster was fine but then went camping and by the end of her trip could barely hold down a Protein shake...her problem was Water because while camping she quit drinking it. So of course this won't fix every tight band issue but if it seems to come and go, if it isn't tied to anything you can figure out, what can it hurt to get 64 oz in?