Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Hair Loss Normal

HI everyone

I had my surgery on May 14th 09 and have lost a total of 23kg since the end of March, though weight lose has really slowed down, but the cm's are coming off, which is a little more exciting at the moment :blink:

For the last couple of weeks, I have had rapid hair loss, Is this normal?? I have quite healthy hair but its coming out at an alarming rate....getting a bit worried. Anybody got any good ideas to help this?????

Hope everyone is doing well.....big hi fives for all of us

Trish :unsure::lol:

I have heard other posters say they have lost hair also. Are you taking a good Multi-Vitamin? Also, you may want to have your thyroid checked. I have thyroid disease but had it before I was banded. It causes some Hair loss but I keep my thyroid under control and have it checked regularly. If I remember right and someone correct me if I am wrong, when you put more Protein in your diet and take out too many carbs, hair loss is one of the side effects. But, I would check with your surgeon just to be sure nothing else is going on that needs to be corrected.

Hey Trish, I had the same problem after surgery my hair thinned out so much I looked like I was balding...lol my doctor told me that Hair loss is common within the first six months after surgery. He suggested I use Biotin and thankfully it help. The hair loss is a short term shock my hair is back to normal now check in your health food stores and Vitamin stores and make sure your diet is meeting the Protein dosage. good luck

hair loss is completely normal and there is bugger all you can do about it. My surgeon told me before the operation that 60% of patients will lose their hair - they don't know why, and there isn't anything you can do to prevent or stop it happening.

My hair started falling out about 3 months after my operation, and fell out rapidly for two months. It then stopped, but just the other day it started again.

I do everything right - multi, right amount of Protein and nutrients, take very good care of my hair etc and it still happens. I have lost about 40% of my hair, I reckon. Luckily it was very thick before so now is like a normal head of hair!

My surgeon says it is. Let me paraphrase what he told us: You'll lose hair somewhere between roughly 3 and 6 months post op. You can take pricey supplements or not; they may make you feel better but won't impact your loss, as far as our studies can tell. It is related to the trauma of surgery and not an insufficiency of your diet, so Protein, Biotin, Water, oil, nothing will help it.

I had one patient in almost 2000 who needed a wig, but she owned a wig shop. Otherwise, most lose some, some lose a bunch, but it all grows back and no one needs a hair piece.

It happened to me exactly as he said; started at almost 3 months to the day, continued on for a couple of months (and I had TWO surgeries in August) and then quit. I don't have thin hair but it isn't all that thick either. My hairdresser never even could tell (although I could; I felt it was coming out in clumps!) and she's been my hairdresser for a LONG time. It has all grown back, as well as I can tell (I didn't count them)

SO take Biotin, extra Protein, extra multis if it makes you feel "proactive" ... or save your money for new clothes! :drool:

I seen my surgeon on Thursday, he suggested I am lacking in Zinc he suggests that I take zinc tablets twice a day for a month on top of my multi vitains

I guess Im lucky I have very fine hair but a lot of it, So far its all OK

Thanks to everyone for your help

Trish x