Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many carbs is to many carbs a day?

THANK YOU EVERYONE...

Moderation I really believe is the key to life.

Before surgery I was able to sit down and eat a full plate of Pasta with a full double chicken breast. Now, I can eat 1/2 of one of the chicken breasts and I am full.

Today I made a wonderful pot roast, ate the roast, 2 carrots, 3 green Beans and a potatoe, I felt completely full and it was all in 3/4 cup.

I emailed my surgeon to get his take on this, and will find out soon, I also asked for a 2nd fill, so that I can get this motor moving.

I do read boxes now, and actually go by serving size, and usually am full before I actually it a full serving, which is pretty awesome.

My band does seem to be working.

Last night however, we had company and I made chicken breasts, bf wanted tater tots and I make pork n beans, let me tell you, it will be a cold day in hell when I try tater tots again. I had 4, and they did not sit well. I excused myself, and went to the bathroom, one cough and they were gone.

An hour late I had a Protein Shake and then nursed myself all day today, until dinner time.

I confess I might not have chewed them well enough, we were talking and eating, and watching a good movie, but geesh, that just really felt uncomfy. I hope to never do that again, and I will be sure to continue to cut my food little pencil top eraser size.

Restless, the brian contains Proteins in the form of many of the chemicals such as enzymes and neurotransmitters that make it work. But it uses glucose for energy, as does the rest of your body.

No matter what you eat, the mitochondria in your cells can only use glucose as fuel, low carb diet or not, your body makes glucose from the food you eat to fuel your cells and your body's metabolism. You will never burn Protein directly or burn it in preference to other fuels or any of those myths.

You feel sluggish when you eat a high carb lunch because it triggers a big seratonin release not because you've denied your brain Protein, which is why sugar and carbs are comfort foods and so addictive for some people.

This isnt my opinion, its physiological fact and any article you find disputing it is highly questionable to say the least. Its just how the body works.

Jacqui it is after 3 am here...but tomorrow I will dig out my phys. book, look it up, and quote it. I remember my nutrition prof telling us to eat Protein before a test (no carbs) and I know Protein is used in neurotransmitters.

I also know you have a disagreement about the high protein/low carb diet often pushed over here...

but believe me, we don't all need 130 g of carbohydrate for good brain function, and the brain needs Proteins to function.

I'll look it up, but it will have to be later...too late and too tired (and don't want to wake husband turning on lights and digging in closets)

OK, well my understanding of it is this....

most of the time, people have their brains burning glucose for fuel. If an easy source of glucose is restricted by following an ultralow carb ketogenic diet - say 30 grams a day or less - the body will produce ketones, so that the brain can burn the ketones for fuel.

In the absence of any carbs in the diet at all for a prolonged period, the body will run off ketones but also convert some Protein to glucose to provide the bare minimum.

Being in ketosis is simply the body's response to shortness of food, to ensure that the brain and the rest of the body has fuel in a form that can be used, a healthy body can cleanse itself of these toxic byproducts of fat burning as opposed to ketoacidosis which is a far more serious complication of diabetes.

The bain can function fine on well less than 130 grams a day, I'm not suggesting that it cant. Protein first in the way bandsters do it isnt a ketogenic diet either, nothing extreme.

Edited by Jachut

My Nut said I need some carbs in my diet to help keep my energy level and alertness up. She didn't give me a specific amount that I remember, but told me to make smart choices with them. Since our portions are smaller she wasn't to concerned that I would over do it because I always eat my Protein first and that is the main part of my meal. Other than carbs in fruits and veggies I have only had 1/2 whole wheat english muffin or a few Triscuit crackers. Way to scared yet to try Pasta or rice but I'm sure the day will come.

I was advised to have rice/pasta as a treat and not an everyday item, and to make sure it is overcooked. If it isn't overcooked it continues to absorb after eaten and swells in the stomach.

You've gotten some good advice here from others, and I would echo their admonitions to do what your doctor tells you. My doc and my nutritionist both said to aim for about 15-20 grams of carbs per meal. If you get too carb conscious, you end up not eating any, and that's likely not healthy, either. I don't obsess about it--last night I had a small (very small) boiled red potato with my fish and green Beans, and I enjoyed it very much. I chose to eat it last (to see if I had room for it), and it was no prob.

Jacqui I think we're both right. (can't find my phys book anyway but been thinking this over) You are right in that the body and brain "prefer" carbs...because they convert "fast and easy" to glucose. They are quickly available energy. HOWEVER...they do cause changes in blood sugar levels, AND a release of seratonin in the brain. Carbs are generally "feel good" food (to varying degrees) and can make one more calm, and sluggish.

Protein also provides energy (ATP) but it is harder to come by, body must work for it. However it does NOT carry with it the "feel good" and "sluggish" components...usually more stable blood sugar and no seratonin surge.

In those of us who are still overweight, fat provides enough "sugar" (once broken down) to keep us clipping along quite nicely. And many (but not all) "feel" and perform better without too many carbs (regardless of the source...processed or raw, simple or complex)

Having said that...personally I don't think any diet that shuts out a component (fat, Protein, or carbohydrate) is a good thing.

I think it's wrong to be knee jerk about this, as in other areas. We need different amounts of calories, different supplements, we are different. Some may do well with 130 carbohydrates a day or more, some may not need that many. Some may thrive on a low carb diet. We have to try to find what works for us.

And yes to the poster who mentioned it; carbohydrates are in fruits, veggies, grains, etc. There's even 1 carb in eggs, I think. So if you want to count them, you have to count 'em all!

There's nothing inherently "bad" in any food. Fat is good for us in limited quantities and depending on the type, protein is good, carbs are good. We just have to make good choices. Sometimes that can be hard to do, with conflicting science etc. So listen to your bodies, too...see what they need, what type of "diet" makes you feel energized, sharp, happy. That's different for each of us.

My surgeon gave me a big 3 ring binder full of information right before my surgery. I was on this diet 2 months before surgery. For my diet, its 100 grams of carbs a day, Protein is 70, fat is 25 and calories are 1200. It's working for me. I would also say ask your surgeon though. Everyone appears to be different.

I was even told that I could eat potatoes and Pasta (whole wheat) but that I must watch the servings and not eat it but a few times a week. Like I said it works for me but everyone is different.

At first I was trying to keep my carbs under 30 a day. I wasn't really sure what the right amount was, what constituted a low carb diet, etc. but thats what I started with. It was kind of easy to do when I was literally just doing Clear Liquids (clear broth, crystal light, etc.) but when I got to Protein Shakes it was impossible. My Protein Shake has a few carbs in it (maybe 4 or something) and the skim milk has between 11-13 so I was getting 16 carbs or so just from one shake. Plus, I don't eat chicken or red meat, so fish and tofu are staples of my diet. Tofu has a few carbs (not much but a few) as well. Basically, I took a step back and said, "is tofu unhealthy? is skim milk unhealthy?" etc. And both of those foods (as well as any other food I eat with carbs) are very healthy. So I got much less anal about it. I rarely (or never, for some of the foods) eat breads, pastas, fried foods (french fries, fried fish etc.), sugary foods so my carbs are no longer coming from those sources. Every 2 week I give myself a treat (usually ice cream). At this point I'm averaging somewhere between 50-55 carbs a day. I've lost over 45 pounds since June so it must be working. Thus, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until it stops working for me!

. Thus, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until it stops working for me!

YES! YES! YES! We do have that quivering grey mass between our ears; might as well use it! :unsure: Good for you (and great loss by the way, too!)

I know I'm being pedantic Restless, lol.

ATP is a "carrier" and one of the things that makes your muscles work but first it must be produced by the body - which requires the breakdown of sugars and fats in a process called glycolysis. Yep, you need glucose to provide the energy the body requires to manufacture ATP. Glycolysis is the first state of the entire human respiration cycle, the very root of your body's metabolism.

This doesnt mean you have to eat lots of carbs though. Your body will make glucose from the sum total of what you eat, no matter which way your diet is swayed. And it will produce ketones as a substitute if there is not a lot of ready carbs.

In the dark ages, we probably switched between having ready fuel after we caught or found something to gorge on and ketosis as we went days without anything else to eat.

So I'm not suggesting that because your body runs on glucose you must eat a high carb diet. But whatever you DO eat will end up as sugars one way or another.

Of course nobody needs to actually know this to decide whether a low carb diet works for them and makes them feel good. I agree, just do what works for you.

YES! YES! YES! We do have that quivering grey mass between our ears; might as well use it! :unsure: Good for you (and great loss by the way, too!)

Thanks Restless. I'm really hoping that I'll get some really good restriction at my next fill (Aug. 25th) and the next 45 will come off as quickly as the first 45!!

No one talked to me either about carbs. However, I was told to eat all my Protein first, then veggies and then if I am still hungry, I can have a couple bites of starches. Since I am only 2 1/2 weeks outta surgery and just started eating soft foods las Thursday, what I try to do is eat my Protein and then veggies. If I am still hungry, which is usually becuz i didnt have the right size portion of protein, I will eat another protein. However, I do give in and take a couple of bites of potatoes or whatever. We make homemade wheat bread and I will have 1/2 piece of that just cuz it sounds good.... The only veggie I was told to avoid for now is corn, but only becuz of how hard it is to digest. I am getting hungry sooner than I want, at about 3 hours instead of 4, but I seem to be bookin along. I get my first fill on the 9th of September...

Hope that helps some..