Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NOW I am too tight but should I rush to the dr?

I have had a (WONDERFUL) cycle of "lose 10, band becomes too loose, tighten band, repeat". It always takes 3-4 days for the swelling to go down so I can eat. I have to religiously follow the "clear liquids for 2 days" that my dr. tells me. However, my last fill was the 23rd of July. I made an appointment at that time for the 20th of Aug in case I needed it tightened or anything else (it has been hard to get appointments). Anyway, I have lost 12 but have been able to eat solid food MAYBE 5 times since the tightening. I cannot drink anything but tepid-hot liquids (ice Water won't go down). I kept thinking it would loosen and it didn't. I can wait for my appointment or a nurse will just take out 1/2 cc. I would rather wait because my dr is more precise but I am starting to feel dizzy and bruising a lot. Could that be from my diet or am I getting sick? I looked up and counted calories and I am getting maybe 800 a day.

Good grief go get a small unfill. You may be getting dehydrated. Get the unfill; keep the appt on the 20th. You can get MORE put back then if you want.

kplant - Its funny that you post this now because I am going through something similar. I got a fill on July 21st and made a follow-up appointment for August 25th. The first few days were OK - I was even thinking that the fill wasn't enough - when I started really feeling the restriction. On one hand it is great - I have also lost 12 pounds - but on the other hand - the amount of solid food I can tolerate is minuscule. I am getting all my fluids so I am not dehydrated, but I am not getting very much solid food. I think I am too tight, but I think that surviving off Protein Shakes for 2 1/2 more weeks is no big deal. Plus did I say that I like losing the weight? What usually happens is that when I lose a bunch of weight is that the band loosens up and the restriction goes down, so half of me just wants to wait and see if that happens and the other half would like to have a bit more solid food. Hmmmm...

Trust me, go for the small unfill. As RM said, you can get more put in at your next appt. After you get the unfill you will be much happier!!!!

Mimi

catcalico, we are clearly on the same schedule. I am, however, getting sick of it and I haven't been losing anymore weight. I think I will get a slight unfill on Monday and keep my appointment for the 20th.

I actually had a good weekend - I was able to eat smaller portions of real food -shrimp, veggies, chicken, etc. The band is funny though, I never know what to expect. Don't get discouraged about the weight loss or lack thereof. I didn't lose anything for 3 months between January and March (I didn't gain any either), but since I was exercising, my clothers were fitting looser. I know I wasn't losing because I was eating more, but didn't get a fill because I think I liked eating more. In retrospect, this was a good thing because it gave me time to re-evaluate my bad habits in order to move forward. BTW - my biggest downfall was eating at night. That one has been a heck a roadblock to get past, but I am doing better with that now! I also needed a fill but waited months to get it! I will see how this week goes and then think about what to do with my August 25th appointment.

Hmmm. . . I think this is just the post I was looking for. I am also in a situation where solid foods are not staying down. =( I had my first fill on July 31 and I did well on my 2 days of liquids then to mushies. Since then every time I try to progress to something solid. . . even the tiniest of bites. . . I PB. I am afraid I will hurt my band PBing all the time, but when I called the doc last week they said wait a bit longer. Am I too tight? With this being my first fill (2cc in a 10cc band) I have nothing to judge it by. My husband is also banded and has not had this problem, and his idea of support is to make fun of me when I PB. Any suggestions?

RM, I just wanted to commend you on your success thus far. You've lost an incredible amount since being banded. Congrats! I feel I'm at a terrible plateau. Keep up the good work. ~HFL

Good grief go get a small unfill. You may be getting dehydrated. Get the unfill; keep the appt on the 20th. You can get MORE put back then if you want.

RM, I just wanted to commend you on your success thus far. You've lost an incredible amount since being banded. Congrats! I feel I'm at a terrible plateau. Keep up the good work. ~HFL

thank you! I never lost enough weight to be at a plateau before, but think maybe I'm at a little one now (way to put a positive spin on it, huh?) I lost most of my weight since 5/7 and now I'm stuck at 70-75 pounds down. I can eat wildly, I can not eat much, doesn't seem to matter!

BUT I have my band and I know it will start going back down again. Restriction is a wonderful thing! :thumbup:

Hang in there.

Oh, I cannot say enough about restriction and the importance of it. My only complaint is that I continue to experience a mild discomfort where my band is around the stoma that seems to be pretty constant. I'm not overly restricted and I chew foods quite well so I'm not sure what the issue can be. Any thoughts?

thank you! I never lost enough weight to be at a plateau before, but think maybe I'm at a little one now (way to put a positive spin on it, huh?) I lost most of my weight since 5/7 and now I'm stuck at 70-75 pounds down. I can eat wildly, I can not eat much, doesn't seem to matter!

BUT I have my band and I know it will start going back down again. Restriction is a wonderful thing! :thumbup:

Hang in there.

Sorry no...I wish I did. Have you asked your surgeon? (and you know the band is up high...right below your sternum, I think, right? Most of us think our stomachs are much lower down than they really are)

I wouldn't even know I had a band if I didn't see the results of it, most times, so I have no experience with that type of pain to help you. I hope your doc can help you; that would be annoying at best!

You know, I've been in for the is reason because I thought maybe I was over restricted, but I am still having the discomfort and know I'm not over restricted. They did a fluro xray and saw nothing and even said I wasn't over restricted but took .5 out just in case and I still feel restricted. I will ask my surgeon directly. So do you not ever feel any mild discomfort at all even around your port area? The discomfort is around my sternum area, you are right. Thanks for your help. ~HFL

Sorry no...I wish I did. Have you asked your surgeon? (and you know the band is up high...right below your sternum, I think, right? Most of us think our stomachs are much lower down than they really are)

I wouldn't even know I had a band if I didn't see the results of it, most times, so I have no experience with that type of pain to help you. I hope your doc can help you; that would be annoying at best!

no not really. But to be honest I don't pay attention to every twitch or pain. I'm 54...if I did that I'd be whiney all the time! LOL If it doesn't HURT I don't notice it.

i have had 3 fills and have 4cc's in my 9 cc band... i still feel no restriction, is it bad that i feel jealous when i see posts like this? I would almost really rather not be able to eat too many solids so that hopefully i can lose weight. I'm watching what i eat, walking mile after mile and although people tell me they can see a difference, my weight isn't going down. i've said it so many times before, but i was prepared to lose slowly, i wasn't prepared not to lose.:unsure: i'm really disappointed and unmotivated at the moment.

snereb27: I made the dorkiest of charts. Each and every milestone I could think of. You already hit a huge one. You are no longer morbidly obese. My weight loss is about 7 or so pounds a month too. Not really huge. When were you banded (also, I walk a lot too and I am soooooo sick of any exercise. I can't even describe it AND I still haven't had the band loosened so I am not losing weight, can't eat and am still exercising and hating it.)