Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flouro shows restriction and they won't give me fill-BUT I'm Starving!!!please help!

Has this happened to anyone?

I feel like a hamster on a wheel.

I am eating my Protein.

I am drinking my Water.

I know the drill with eating Protein first... and limiting sugars and refined carbs.

I don't drink with meals and I wait 30 min after.

I take time eating s l o w

I am eating more than I know I should.

I went in for a flouro because they suspected dilitation and there was nothing.

Pouch was fine and they would not give me a fill because they said I looked retsricted- but the barium shot through me so fast...

What do I do?????? I am up in weight and going crazy.

I just went to the endo today to have bloodwork done to test thyroid (last had it checked a month ago, too)

Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Is there no chance of convincing them to give you at least a tiny fill? The main guidelines my doctor uses are whether I am eating too much or not staying satisfied. He would definitely give me a fill if I were in your shoes. He only uses fluoro to rule out complications which it appears you do not have. I'd try a little more persistence.

In my experience with thyroid disease, the thyroid does not make us eat more or cause hunger it just slows our metabolism process down so that it is difficult or impossible to lose weight. So I doubt that is the problem.

You said your Dr is in Houston? Who is your Dr? My is Dr. Spivak in Houston.

I wait for an hour after meals to resume drinking Water. Also, if your doctor wont give you a fill maybe you should start shopping for a new doctor.

I wait for an hour after meals to resume drinking Water. Also, if your doctor wont give you a fill maybe you should start shopping for a new doctor.

This is a good suggestion. The doctor isn't living in your shoes. Perhaps he is pre-occupied with other issues. But I guarantee you, I'd either win the argument on this one or find another doctor. It's time to take your life into your own hands. You're trying, that's obvious. You have the wrong doctor. Something isn't right here and you need help you have paid for but are not getting.

I agree with the others. After all you've been through to get the band, you should be allowed to use it to its full potential. This doctor is simply not allowing it.

Edited by Jodi_620

Only one time did I let my surgeon talk me out of a fill. I was losing but felt I was getting hungry too soon. Next time I saw him I had still lost, but this time I pushed, saying I was hungry after 2 hours, and I could see the volume at each meal rising. So he gave me the fill. That lasted me from 8/08 to 5/09, believe it or not! In the 5/09 visit I was actually on the fence about a fill but I knew my weight was up just a bit. Well, they weighed me and said "Your weight is up a little, do you want a fill?" They usually require a 3 day food diary, but the 8/08 fill they didn't even look at it, so I didn't do one this time and thought they wouldn't do the fill because of that. No. The surgeon even asked me how much I wanted .5 or 1. I opted for .5 (I am pretty sensitive to fill restriction) telling him I call always come back for more. That was actually plenty. I lost the weight I had gained and even a few pounds more. I had to lower my portion sizes even. I think you need a different doctor, one who can give you credit for knowing your own body and be able to work with you. I am fortunate to have a doc who trusts my judgment.

Please tell me your Dr is not Dr. Spivak, now I am getting worried because he is my Dr and he is in Houston. I go for a fill next week.

I agree with the others. After all you've been through to get the band, you should be allowed to use it to its full potential. This doctor is simply not allowing it.

I was just looking at your stats. Wow! You've done fantastic!! Congrats and keep up the good work!

Maybe you could try Dr Spivak for future care. He is nice. And in Houston probably in the same area

I have a similar situation, my Dr. does fills under fluro and everytime I drink the barium he says it is going to slow. I can see where it backs up, but it does go through rather quickly, of course it is liquid so it should go through rather quickley. So the last time I visited him he was uncomfortable giving me a fill because the barium was not going through as quickly as it should. I asked him if my pouch was stretched and he said no, it looks good.

OK, he said he would give me .5cc for a fill and see how it goes. He basically told me not to come back for another fill until I stop losing weight. I am still losing, but it is sloooooow. I can eat most foods, but do have a problem with pbing if I forget to not drink with meals and do take a drink with meals. I only lost 2 lbs in July, so I am not sure if I need to go back or not, I guess I will see what happens in August. Just my 2 cents.

My surgeon is Dr. Jay in Dallas. He told me if I stop losing 2-3 lbs in a week, to come in for another fill.