Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thing most frustrating about friends and family about the LB...

I will start. The MOST frustrating thing I see from my friends and family is either the stated or implied notion that this whole thing is "the easy way out".

I think they are confused by the new-found optimism of many of us and think cynically that we think we are getting away with losing weight without having to "earn" it.

I can only tell these people that, while am more optimistic about my health than I've been years, there is pain and recovery. Moreover, I did this as a last resort. I had lost and regained weight 4 major times in my adult life with nothing to show for it but a BMI of 53, hypertension, etc.

It's a great way out of the prison I was living in, but it has and will be anything but "the easy way out".

Good for you. Also very kindly remind them that the LB is a tool to help you lose weight. It's not going to lose weight for you. You still have to watch what you get and exercise!

I agree, thats one of the reasons why I elected not to tell so many people. Also people say that the dangers from the actual procedure are not worth losing the weight (:biggrin: right). Or; that the complications and the new lifestyle arent worth the weight you lose.

Good grief. It isn't "the easy way" but if it were, why would ANYONE who loves you begrudge you that? Would they PREFER you to suffer? Ask one of them that sometime...that should make them think. I've never wanted a soul I loved to have to struggle, hurt, and be miserable. I've never wanted a soul I loved to risk his or her health. People just don't think things through.

A lot of times people are afraid of what they don't understand and are afraid for you and it comes out like they are being critical. Maybe you can email them the video that shows the procedure and what it takes to go through this. If you feel they are worth the effort. If not, ignore it and move on. You have so much healing to do and so much other things to do that are important to your success that you can't dwell on what the naysayer's think. If they are family, I hope they come around for you. It can be miserable being around them if they are negative all the time. Good Luck.

Wow what a great post. I had to have a psych eval. before surgery. the doc was my friend. He said that those closest to you will be your biggest critics. My sisters are the ones. I was self pay and they make the comments that if they had the money they could be skinny too. I took out a loan to do this. The doc also said they would be jealous. Yep they are.

I had a BMI of 35+ had asthma, HBP (3 medication), IBS, arthritis, you name it I had ot or was going to get it. Now I am off all medicines except my BCP and allergiy medicine. I coud really care less about what other think now. My girlfriends have been most receptive except when they want to go out to eat and I don't eat or take 2 bites and am done. My mom has been tremendous, she saw me following in her footsteps and wanted it to stop. My DH has been superb and loves it. he is buying me clothes and bikinis.

So if people don't like it who cares as long as you love yourself it should not matter, regardless of your reasons for doing it. Just say whatever and go buy another outfit or run around in a bikini no matter the weather.

I wish I knew where to post is on here, but someone compared chronic obesity to being forced to sit at a slot machine and put in quarter after quarter and never, ever hitting the jackpot even once. But we all did it and wished the whole time that we weren't. We dieted and regained many times, suffered the health complications and mental suffering. Restless Monkey's right -- ask the next naysayer why on earth they would criticize your choice when it has been the one thing to help you allay your years and years of suffering!?!?

I think your response GreyTZ was very good I completely agree. Also, some people are jealous and you don't always realise this at first, because you don't think your so-called "friends/family" would be jealous. Keep going everyone, we all know that we will all be skinny Beans soon!

Let them think what they want. You will never be able to control the stupidity of those who are uneducated about the Lapband. We all know this is a tool for weight loss, regardless of what they think. Be proud of what you have done. You took control of something you had no control over and looked what you have done already.

I once feared what other people thought. Now I have the self confidence to not care. I tell anyone who will listen I did this. Why would you not. Think of the person you will inspire. It is a wonderful thing. You will see too. Don’t let the ignorance of people get to you, then they win, and they are not playing.

Michelle

Banded 03/12/2009

Starting weight 284

Current weight 197

I'm waiting for someone to tell me I took the easy way out. I'd look at them and say, "I'm doing this through diet and exercise. Is there an easy way they didn't tell me about?!"

Luckily, everyone in my life is very supportive. I guess when they saw me lumbering and breathing hard, and now I'm not so much, they see it's a good thing.

To hell with the haters. It's your life, not theirs. Live it thinner.

You also have to realize that many people are misinformed about WLS. They always know someone who is a friend of a friend of a long lost relative who died when they had WLS:rolleyes2:

One thing I really love about my band is that it's given me the opportunity to educate others about the process. I've found that once people really know what having the band is like most are extremely supportive.

You also have to realize that many people are misinformed about WLS. They always know someone who is a friend of a friend of a long lost relative who died when they had WLS:rolleyes2:

One thing I really love about my band is that it's given me the opportunity to educate others about the process. I've found that once people really know what having the band is like most are extremely supportive.

I posted this link in another thread in "General Lapband Surgery Discussion"

TV presenter Jay Hunt on her gastric Bypass

Read some of the comments (click on "view all" to expand) following her successful story. :thumbup: