Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More fill with Fluro?

Hey just wondering if you get a better fill if the Dr. uses fluro. I was told that they can see how much Fluid is going through if they use flouroscopy and so they can actually put in how much you need as opposed to guessing. This way there is less of a chance of problems with to much or to little restriction. What do you think?

My doc doesn't use x-ray equip to fill me. He doesn't need it, honestly. The man put my port in me and knows where it is; he has a great "touch". He can always tell me how much restriction I'll experience by how much resistance he feels when he injects the additional saline. He is truly a master at this. Don't assume that docs who fill slow do it because they are inept or can't tell what you need. Many who use x-ray still need more, or unfills.

The aggressive/conservative fill approach is instead based on the data some subscribe to that aggressive fills set patients up for problems down the road, like esophageal spasms for example. Obviously not all surgeons believe this way but many do.

Mine is done under fluro and I tell you I like the fact I can "see" the liquid going through it makes sense...to "see" it. Restless...that is great you have such a great doctor!!!

I just had my first pressure fill. It's only for Realize band and it was an interesting experience. I was still under fluro like usual (I prefer to see it also and I didn't want any surprises as I work about 130 miles from my doctor). Anyway I didn't look down, but they rolled what looked like an IV pole next to me, he attached something to the needle and just like a tire gauge he knew exactly how much pressure was in my band.

He put .3cc in and I feel pretty tight, but since I saw the numbers, and I saw the swallow, it's helping me know that I just needed to get back to my super careful eating like I did post-op.

I just had my first pressure fill. It's only for Realize band and it was an interesting experience. I was still under fluro like usual (I prefer to see it also and I didn't want any surprises as I work about 130 miles from my doctor). Anyway I didn't look down, but they rolled what looked like an IV pole next to me, he attached something to the needle and just like a tire gauge he knew exactly how much pressure was in my band.

He put .3cc in and I feel pretty tight, but since I saw the numbers, and I saw the swallow, it's helping me know that I just needed to get back to my super careful eating like I did post-op.

Yea it makes you at ease much more when you "see" what is going on I know it has helped me alot!!

Funny I think my doc does "pressure fills" in my AP band without fluoro. He can always pretty well gage how restricted I'll be; he says he can tell by the resistance he feels when he fills me. Gotta love a good surgeon.

I think getting a fill with or without fluoro depends on your situation. I usually have mine done in the office, but was having a difficult time with my most recent fill. I would sometimes throw up Water and other times I would be able to eat a normal cup of whatever.

Yesterday my surgeon decided for the first time to fill me under fluoro to find out what was really going on. I told him that I felt like I needed .3cc taken out, and of course, I was correct, but being able to see it I could see that liquids even tended to hang around for a bit after most of my pouch emptied. Also, it told me that my pouch hadn't stretched, and it gave me a better visual idea of exactly what percentage of my pouch got filled up by a sip of liquid. It gave me a better framework for eating.

I get where the other posters are going with the "it's nice to have a good surgeon", but I don't want anyone that's less experienced to think that their surgeon isn't good if they want to fill their patients under fluoro. I completely agree that having an experienced doctor that listens to you (since you know your body!) and can quickly guage how much of a fill you need is VERY important, but having a thorough surgeon that double checks his work and isn't above a little help isn't bad either !

I think getting a fill with or without fluoro depends on your situation. I usually have mine done in the office, but was having a difficult time with my most recent fill. I would sometimes throw up Water and other times I would be able to eat a normal cup of whatever.

Yesterday my surgeon decided for the first time to fill me under fluoro to find out what was really going on. I told him that I felt like I needed .3cc taken out, and of course, I was correct, but being able to see it I could see that liquids even tended to hang around for a bit after most of my pouch emptied. Also, it told me that my pouch hadn't stretched, and it gave me a better visual idea of exactly what percentage of my pouch got filled up by a sip of liquid. It gave me a better framework for eating.

I get where the other posters are going with the "it's nice to have a good surgeon", but I don't want anyone that's less experienced to think that their surgeon isn't good if they want to fill their patients under fluoro. I completely agree that having an experienced doctor that listens to you (since you know your body!) and can quickly guage how much of a fill you need is VERY important, but having a thorough surgeon that double checks his work and isn't above a little help isn't bad either !

I agreed with having a great surgeon not because one can do it WITHOUT fluro but because they use the fluro makes them look like they want you to understand and "see" what exactly you have inside there it does make sense and I enjoy it every time myself I have never had a fill "not under fluro" so I don't know what it's like, the doctor knowing when enough is enough...by using the "blind eye so to say" BUT I SO AGREE WITH YOU!!!!

Most of my fills are done in the doctor's office and I have had only 2 fills under fluro and it was to make sure everything is okay. However, I had one fluro fill today and am finding liquids are bothering me. I think I might have to call the doctor tomorrow. Has anyone had this problem?

Most of my fills are done in the doctor's office and I have had only 2 fills under fluro and it was to make sure everything is okay. However, I had one fluro fill today and am finding liquids are bothering me. I think I might have to call the doctor tomorrow. Has anyone had this problem?

How tight is "too tight" is very subjective and based on MANY factors, not just how much "fill" is in the band, nor on how large the stoma is. So yes, it happens, you can be too tight even with an x-ray assist. If you can't keep your liquid down call your doc; you'll dehydrate over the weekend. :wink:

When I went for my post-op check-up, I had to go for a esophofraham first, to be sure everything was in the right place and that I was healing ok. The NP showed me the pictures, and it was interesting to see what was going on inside. I've had 2 fills so far. The NP who does my fills is fantastic. Barely feel the pinch, and it is over before I know it. A fluro fill may be more precise, but if the person doing the fill is experienced, I don't think you have to worry. Besides, who needs all those addl x-rays...

Thanks for the information. Liquids are staying down;however, I feel uncomfortable. :wink:

Some people swell when their band is "messed with"...so it's possible you have that. Just stick with your liquids, make sure you get your 64 oz Water for today (very important) and see how you feel tomorrow, is what I'd advise.

I don't know what time your doc closes on Fridays but I'd give it until about 1-2 pm (providing he's open friday afternoons) and see how I felt...If you still are uncomfy, call.

Of course you can call earlier, but if it is just that you are swollen, it will go down and you'll feel better.

Thank you. I think that is the problem. I am sipping on a cup of hot tea and it seems to be going down okay. I will call them this morning because I don't know their Friday hours and to give them the heads up. :wink2: