Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded today and I have GAS PAINS! HELP!

What can I do for the horrible pain I'm having in my chest, neck, and side? Standing and walking is the only thing I found that kind of works. Laying down is the worst and I have to get some sleep. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Oh, I feel your pain!! Quite literally. I was banded this morning and feeling the same pains. I am using a heating pad and it has helped some. I'm also using the gas x strips which I think they are helping too. Walking and moving around from what I've read and from what they told me in the hospital is the best thing. Good luck Hope these things help.

Well the good news is that you have your band; bad news...nothing helps with the gas but time. Try Gas-X and just walk. I moved around the house from room to room 3 or 4 times an hour, just to move, that seemed to help keep it from building up on you. It woke me in the middle of the night the first two nights I was home. It does get better, I got my band in March and still get gassy after eating. What you have now is from what they pump in during surgery so it's around your stomach not in and that's why the gas-x doesn't really work that well.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have the Gas X strips and they don't seem to work that well, like you mentioned. The only thing that seems to feel good is walking and burping! Thank god I live alone!! I don't know how I'm going to sleet tonight, laying down is the worst! I don't have a recliner either. My pain med make me sleepy, so I hope it knocks me out!!

Keep moving! I was banded 2 days ago and I didn't have a lot of gas pain that day, but today I feel it creeping around my chest and shoulder area. Everyone that I've talked to say it can take up to 3 or 4 days to get rid of the gas. I think taking Milk of Magnesia has helped me too.

Good luck and just know it will get better!

Get up and walk frequently. You can try Gas-X. My surgeon told me to lay on my side and it helped some, not completely, just some but I was able to sleep that way. I was very uncomfortable in the chest area. Hopefully within a couple days you will be feeling better.

Children's Motrin and movement are the only things that have helped me.

Good luck,

leseid,

Do you realize that Motrin is and Ibuprofen product and is a NO NO for lap band patients as well as aspirin?

The reason there's that pain is because the Co2 they use to blow up your tummy to get their tools in irritates the diaphragm and phrenic nerve, which then makes you have referred pain in other places especially your left shoulder. Really the only thing that makes it go away is enough time for it to dissolve into the bloodstream - walking and moving really helps speed this along. Some have reported that taking aleve helped some although I didn't notice too much of a difference myself. It took about a full 5 days before it went completely away. Make sure to take nice big deep breaths, the kind you would take before blowing out candles or bubbles.

Hope it goes away soon!

Please check with your surgeon before taking anything but Tylenol for the pain. I'm pretty sure Aleve contains aspirin. Prior to surgery I was on one 81 mg aspirin daily to thin my blood and my surgeon wont let me resume taking it until six months after my surgery.

I walked A LOT and I only had the pain for 2 days max. I wasn't just walking around the house, but walked my neighborhood several times each day. I also couldn't have done it without a heating pad on my stomach when I was laying down. Hang in there. You will feel much better very soon.

Please check with your surgeon before taking anything but Tylenol for the pain. I'm pretty sure Aleve contains aspirin. Prior to surgery I was on one 81 mg aspirin daily to thin my blood and my surgeon wont let me resume taking it until six months after my surgery.

Aleve does not contain aspirin. But yes always check with your surgeon before taking anything that wasn't recommended.

Aleve was listed as a suggestion in my discharge instructions.

ugh, i have gas pains and Constipation :laugh: guess we all gotta go through this together. :thumbup:

Aleve does not contain aspirin. But yes always check with your surgeon before taking anything that wasn't recommended.

Aleve was listed as a suggestion in my discharge instructions.

Yes, please check with your surgeon as Aleve is a form of Naprosyn which is an NSAID which I was warned to stay away from with the lab band.

My mommy told me... HAHAHA! No seriously, my mom suggested to never lye down flat. She gave me some pillows in addition to the ones I already had. I used several to prop myself up so that I could sleep. I even used one under my legs but that was mostly just for extra comfort. And of course walking! I was banded 7/17 and I can’t tell you how much pain the gas/air caused me. It was bad. Try lots of pillows and keep up the walking and it should pass!