Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op and depressed...

My doctor allowed anything that would fit through a straw although you are not supposed to use a straw... so I went to the grocery store deli section and bought the most wonderful chicken tortilla Soup, brought it home, ran it through my blender with chicken broth to thin it and it was awesome.

had my band put in on 4/3/09. Have not eaten solid food since the last week in March, I had to be put back in the hospital in May for 5 days, could not hold down even Water. Doctor at that time thought that there was a portion of my throat that was swollen so he put me on no food for 2 days and then liquids again. I was on an IV to build me up and then I went home after 5 days I stayed on liquids and was OK for about 2 weeks. It slowly started again and 2 weeks ago I was back in the hospital and the band had to be removed it had eroded and was infected, if I had not gone back to the doctor when I did I could have died from the infection so after 3 hospital stays and 2 operations here I am without a band and still not able to eat anything more then mash potatoes.I feel like I'm never going to be able to eat regular food again. Good luck to everyone, I don't wish what I've been through on anyone.

Edited by roeroe16

I really appreciate all the support. I really need it!! As of yesterday (which was one week post op) I added a scrambled egg for Breakfast. I dont even like eggs and it was good. I also bought vanilla carnation instant breakfast and some fresh strawberries and will make a shake for lunch. I still have like 'mini heart attacks'..that gas pain that travels through your chest and lasts about 10 seconds. How the heck do I get rid of that?? It drives me crazy. I guess I am still a little depressed and didnt think this would be as hard as it has been, but I just look forward to the day I can eat regular foods again!

Hang in there, it does get easier. If you aren't already, I suggest you start walking for at least 30 minutes each day or even twice a day. The exercise will help with the depression.:thumbup:

When did you all start eating solids? I know each doc of different, but some have mushies and solids after 2 weeks...

My doc has me on 21 days liquids (no mushies) and I am going crazy!!! today is day 16...

Edited by Agnes

I can so totally relate with the depression part, but the good new is that it does get better. I was banded July 9th and on day 3 I cried, day 5 I cried, day 7 I cried. lol Every other day was pitiful. Day 9 was such a turning point for me. Talk with your Dr. When I explained to mine that I was hungry and feeling sad all of the time, he let me go to mushie foods and boy was that great! Mashed potatoes and eggs have never tasted so good. Just know that it does get better and that I can relate. I so missed being able to eat, and wondered what in the heck had I done to myself, but those feelings are normal. Goood luck

Funny, those exact words came to my mind during the first and second week post-op. "What the hell was I thinking doing this to myself". I assure you all that once you begin to feel better from your surgery and are able to east something substantial and begin loosing, you will be so happy with your decision. Hang in there! I promise you all that it does get better.

Oh boy, you sound just like I did! I was so depressed I wanted to find a Dr. to cut the damn band out! I know it is so hard at first, but believe me from someone who has been there (and maybe felt worse) it will get easier. I thought I wouldn't make it another day, but I hung in there and now I feel pretty good. I still have off days, but when I step on the scale I realize how worth it this will all be. Hang in there and feel free to send me a message anytime if you have any questions. :thumbup: Cheryl

I had the same problem when I first had my surgery. I told my doctor and he moved me into soft foods. Thank god!