Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarassing but would appreciate some advice...

K well I've always had problems with Constipation but it's gotten worse since lapband...well it gets painful at times and I don't go for quite awhile...well I'm going on a hiking/camping trip for 10 days and won't be near a bathroom and I don't want to get in pain like I usually do...so I was planning to "clear" myself out before my trip. Usually stool softners or laxatives either don't work or will take 3 days to work(like right in the middle of class or work) so I was going to try to take a lil magnesium citrate like we did Pre-op. Obviously a smaller dose than what we had to take...however when I did it the first time it made me throw up and don't want that to happen with the band. SO I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten sick drinking it with the band...?

And btw I don't do this often nor do I condone doing it for weight loss or anything, Only doing this because otherwise I will be in severe pain about 200 miles from a working toliet lol

well lol, this would be a topic I might can help you with......I too had problems before the band as well as after with Constipation.

I finally saw my families gastroenterologist and he did a colonoscopy to just make sure all was well inside (we have a lot of folks who have had colon cancer in my family). Anyway, all was well except he said I have a "lazy colon" lol at the medical term there............anyway, doc recommended for me to take milk of mag every single day.

I do this and it works pretty well for me. In the past I had tried every Fiber drink/pill, laxatives, stool softeners, ect..........doc said get off all that and he put me on a script which worked well........then I got pregnant and couldn't take the script.......for some reason the milk of mag (which is dirt cheap and doc told me totally safe.....works well.

Oh, the magnesium citrate is safe as well but it's something you wouldn't want to take all the time my doc told me. I had to drink 2 bottles of that and 6 laxative pills the two days prior to my colonoscopy I had such constipation problems!

have fun on your trip..........try to eat Fiber rich foods (add some flax seed to foods if you can)

I can relate as well. I've always had issues with Constipation - oddly enough I've been more regular since surgery, but there are still days where I struggle, especially if my Water intake is low.

I also had a colonoscopy (for polyps) and my GI doc told me to take Miralax daily. Now I find I don't need it regularly, but I take it off and on as needed, sometimes a full dose, sometimes a half dose, sometimes none at all.

If you haven't tried it yet I suggest that product. I just pour it into my first bottle of Water of the day and I'm done. It's so much easier than going through the discomfort caused by constipation.

You can't "poo out" enough in advance to make it ok to go 10 days without a BM, if you're planning on doing what I think you are. As to the Constipation, call your banding doc. He'll tell you what to take to fix it.

No I can almost guarentee that I will not go "poo" once in 10 days. I have always had problems with Constipation. Most of the time laxatives don't work. Fiber doesn't work. I doubt anything is wrong with me, that's almost the problem. It's just very severe constipation. And since surgery the only difference I've had is that now my stool is incredibly hard and I bleed a bit. I plan on going to the doctor soon, but in the mean time I am going on this trip and don't really want to be in pain or discomfort.

Since you obviously know yourself best, then you are the one to best advise yourself on this subject. take whatever colon cleanse works for you. Don't "poo" for 10 days, then go to the doc whenever it suits! :cursing:

I am having a colonoscopy next month. Got my "clean out" instruction sheet yesterday.

I am to go out a buy the 2 liter bottle of Golytely. YUCK. :smile:

No looking foreward to that, but just thought I would pass that info on.