Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol...you do, you dont? How soon?

I know this may be a little soon to think about, but I have to ask. I know that once able, that alcohol effects you a lot quicker and with a much smaller amount than previous to being banded. However, how soon did you start to attempt even a sip of alcohol? If so, what kind?

I know people who have had the lap and the gastric. Some of them are back to drinking beer (I already miss this!) like they were prior to surgery, and some still play it safe with wine and clear liqours. Please dont assume that I am an alcoholic, but I am curious because I have 3 weddings to attend within the coming months, including bachelorette parties and I was curious where I stand. I dont want to try anything too soon, but I dont want to be too conservative either.

I was having the same questions a couple of weeks ago. I had two mixed drinks on fourth of July which is when I was 2 weeks post op. I also had a glass of sangria at happy hour this past week...so far no troubles. I haven't tried anything carbonated yet though. I understand what you are saying...it's very hard to have a social life when you are trying to stay away from going out to eat and going out drinking. Just take it slow and you will be fine :rolleyes:

I also am a little worried about this.I am very social so while trying to keep this surgery a secret I am wondering when I can have a drink .I have a function to attend 2 weeks after being banded.I think it will be easier to blend in without eating then not having a cocktail.I usually drink a beer.Is this better or worse?

Im a social drinker and have been adjusting to the changes. I would say I feel the effects ALOT sooner than I did before. I drink about a quarter of what I used to. Im not a big fan of beer, I normally have mixed drinks, but recently I had a beer completely forgetting about the band and I couldnt finish it. The carbonation was definitely noticeable so I stopped drinking it before I had any major problems.

There's no physiological reason for you to feel the effects sooner...yes, if you are bypass because of the malabsorption issues, but not with lap band. So if you do, it's in your head, and that's not a bad thing...that means a quicker buzz on less calories! :rolleyes:

I don't really like liquor without a mixer (too many empty calories for this woman) but in fact tonight at almost 1 year out I did drink 2 MGD Ultra (64 cal each) beer. I poured them to get rid of carbonation and took it slow but I just don't enjoy them like I did. I guess I could drink bloody marys or something...then at least I'd be getting Tomato juice.

I would say check with your doc to find out when s/he feels it's ok for you to drink. I wish I liked wine, but it just makes my rosacea flare up. !!

lol i am a hug party girl! No kids and still enjoying the night life. I haven't been banded yet but this was something i was curious about as well. I am going to Vegas in Sept and i think im getting banded next months so thanks for ur post the reply's are great!!! Lets me know i can go out still and my tab is less! :rolleyes:

Panda check with your doc, just to make sure it's ok to drink so soon after banding. One big thing, of course, is if anyone overindulges and vomits .... REALLY not good for the band and REALLY REALLY not good just 2 months post op! :rolleyes:

I drink mixed drinks probably once every 1-2 weeks out with a friend or family. I don't recall how far out from surgery I was when I had my first drink. I don't feel the effects any quicker, as RM said I think it's a mental thing, not a physical thing. Although as you get skinnier you might feel it quicker. Check with your surgeon!

I am about 11 months out now, I generally go out on the weekends for a couple of drinks. I usually drink diet coke & rum or wine. Havent had any problems and it hasnt hurt my weight loss. Even though this is a lifestyle change you cant give everything up 100%, you still need to enjoy life.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for your replies. That is the one thing my friends and I still enjoy...a few drinks on the weekend. At least for right now I know to stay away from beer and other carbonated drinks. It will make my attendance at these functions a little more normal. At least the weddings are 2 months post op. Vacation as well.

Is there any particular kind of mixed drinks that anyone drinks, especially since carbonated isnt good right away?

Is there any particular kind of mixed drinks that anyone drinks, especially since carbonated isnt good right away?

Margaritas

Martinis

Vodka & Cranberry

Gin and grapefruit juice

I like margaritas, but I have found that I get full feeling and kind of queasy drinking them now. So, I switched to sipping martinis, either the real deal, or flavored ones. Sipping is the key because it is straight alcohol.

I think the reason we seem to feel the effects of the alcohol more has nothing to do with the alcohol and ALOT to do with the absence of food when we're drinking. Before, along with the pitcher of margaritas, there would be cheese fries, or nachos, or a blooming onion, and most of us would devour the appetizer along with the drinks. Now, it's 4-5 chips w/salsa and probably the same amount of alcohol as before...and damn,who tilted the floor?!

Remember that it IS empty calories, so you should plan ahead. Figure the calorie count into your total weekly intake. Yes, that means cutting out something else, but otherwise you'll start gaining weight again. And maybe, save the alcohol for special occasions, and take it slow. Like RM said, you don't want to throw up.

I hope this helps.

I've given up carbonation because my doctor said to. So I do miss my beer. I have non-carbonated mixed drinks on occasion. I am serious about weight loss so I don't choose to add these empty calories on a regular basis but when an occasion arises I have a few drinks with no guilt. Vodka and SF Cranberry juice with a slice of lime (Cape Cod) is my drink of choice. Had a few Jello shots with Vodka and SF Jello on my vacation last year. Alcohol does not affect me any differently than it did pre-op nor has it affected my weight loss at all.

Alcohol doesn't affect you differently than before the band. But once you lose, it may take less alcohol to have the same effect because of the change in ratio of body mass:alcohol. You may feel the effects a little sooner because you may not be able to eat as much of a "cushion" in advance of drinking and as you lose weight, the alcohol affects less mass and therefore you feel it differently.

I went on a cruise with 500 friends 5 weeks after surgery (go to www.parrotheadcruise.com if you want to see what that's like)...and I drank every day. Like before banding. I didn't lose an ounce on the trip, but I didn't gain either. That's what you really have to consider -- the calories. An ounce of rum is 60 calories. Add mixers to your rum, tequila, etc. and you can take in a lot of empty calories very quickly!

Beer is carbonated and while plenty of people drink it, I couldn't at first. I tried but it just made me belch nearly nonstop. Now, almost 6 months out, I drank a beer and a half on Saturday with no problems other than feeling really full on just beer, with no food.

I'm glad I never liked beer, hah :thumbdown:

Wine, on the other hand... I do like. I'm not a big drinker, though, so I have no problems waiting until I'm "allowed" to start having a glass of wine a couple times a week or so.

You can drink. I'm not a big drinker, but I drink when I go out, drink with dinner once in a while. No problems. I have lost 70 pounds so far, and have no problems. Why did they tell you not to drink anyway? I was also told by a PA that I probably wont be able to ever has a cheeseburger again also. He was wrong. Its only a band, not a death sentence. I can see the problem with beer, since its like its carbonated, but wine and mixed drinks, I dont think so. But, everyone is different. I eat what I want, drink what I want and have no problems. To each his own. Good luck!:thumbdown:

I know this may be a little soon to think about, but I have to ask. I know that once able, that alcohol effects you a lot quicker and with a much smaller amount than previous to being banded. However, how soon did you start to attempt even a sip of alcohol? If so, what kind?

I know people who have had the lap and the gastric. Some of them are back to drinking beer (I already miss this!) like they were prior to surgery, and some still play it safe with wine and clear liqours. Please dont assume that I am an alcoholic, but I am curious because I have 3 weddings to attend within the coming months, including bachelorette parties and I was curious where I stand. I dont want to try anything too soon, but I dont want to be too conservative either.