Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I am going for my first fill on wed 15th July, I am not sure what to expect, will it hurt? will it make me eat less food than i am already eating? How often do you need to have the fills? :frown:

Thanks

Gillian

I had my first fill July 9th. They'll give you an injection, something like lidocain (like they give you right before an I.V.) at the port site. I necessarily didn't 'feel' the need for the fill go in, I felt her moving it around to find the center of the port. It was a little uncomfortable. But painful, no. From the time of the 'numbing' shot to the time the fill was done, took less than 1 min. She had me drink a few ounces of Water to make sure all was well.

The day of the fill, after I got it, my doc wanted me on liquids, Day after the fill was soft food and mushies. Day 3, back to normal. I have a 10 cc band and they gave me 2.5 cc's. I fill a difference, already. I heated up my butternut squash Soup last night. It's the V8 Soup that comes in a box. I used to be able to eat the whole amount. Last night, at half the box (technially 1 serving, as there are two servings in a box) I was full. So, I put the rest in the refridge for today. Some people on here don't have said it can take up to two weeks for them to feel a difference. I guess it all depends in the person and the amount of the fill.

Don't stress yourself out about the fill!

I've never had any pain from a fill. It feels strange as they remove all of saline in the band (to measure) and then put it + more back in, but it's not pain.

Since the point of a fill is to tighten up the band, you probably will not be able to eat as much. Nearly everyone is on a restricted diet at least the first few days after a fill.

Hope this helps.

xoxo

I had my first fill last Wed. I didn't get a shot to numb the area first. I barely felt the prick, and it was over before I knew it.

I had my first fill last week as well, no pain, just them pressing around finding the port, but not uncomforable. I guess I am one of the lucky ones cause i have good restriction with the first fill, this may calm down and I may require another one but I am very hopefully that i wont have more than 2 or 3, since the fill I am eating around 1/2- 3/4 cup max at a meal and I am not hungery for at least 4 hours. I have also lost 3 lbs since wednesday.

Had first fill last week, no pain at all during procedure,

had severak sips of a barium drink so they could see on xray how adjustment was working, all over in about 3o mins

it hurts but nothing unbearable. my doc dosent use lidocaine either. and even without it, its not too bad.my doctor will only do a fill once a month. and you get them until you get the right spot for you. it took 3 fills for me. im currently at 4.5ccs in a 10 cc band. some people need more than that. some need less. good luck with your 1st fill.

My husband and I are going for our first fill late this afternoon (6 wks post-op). I am a little nervous, but mostly because it is unknown and we are meeting a new Dr. because we had our bands done in Mexico and it is just not practical for us to get all our fills there, since we live in Florida. I will try to post later tonight or in the morning on how it went.

I had my lap band surgery in January and have had 3 fills plus one additional time when they removed saline from the port. I have had to have more than one stick each time and it has never been painful. I don't think I can even describe it as uncomfortable. Generally quick and painless. If needles bother you, just don't look. My clinic does not use any numbing medication either. Don't see a need for it as that would be just one extra stick that I don't see a need for. I generally go in about every 4-5 weeks though last time I went back a little over 2 because for the first time I could recognize that I needed some extra restriction. Good luck for those getting ready for your first fill. It will be much easier than you ever expect.

I would Like to thank everyone for posting back to me re my first fill this has helped me a great deal.

Thank You all

And Good Luck for the future.

Gillian.

xx:smile2:

I just had my first fill yesterday, maybe Im a wussie, but that HURT!! The Dr couldn't find the top of the port and stuck me 3 times, I screamed "DID YOU FIND IT YET!!" and "FUDGE!" and he was cracking up! I find it funny but I was serious! But i got 4cc's so I think its worth it. :thumbup:

You are definately not the only wussie, if that is the case. I had my fill Monday, July 13, late in the after noon. OMG!!!! The doctor had trouble finding my port and it was horrible! He did give me a numbing shot, but it didn't work at all the first time and after trying for at least 20-30 minutes, he gave me another numbing shot, which helped some, but I totally felt everything and it HURT. I didn't want to post yesterday because I didn't want to scare the girl who started the post before she went, because the anxiety and nerves will make it worse. But seriously, he poked me a total of 9 times (2 were to numb) or more and my husband said he bent 2 needles (I couldn't watch) in the process on the metal around the port. The good news is he finally found the port. It was much lower than normal and since he didn't do my surgery it was difficult to find the center of it. I was really happy that he finally found it, I was so afraid that he would give up and I would of had to wait and schedule my fill with fluro at the hospital which probably would have taken a couple of weeks longer and it would have cost me an extra $200. I was very impressed in fact that the doctor hung in there and didn't give up and send me for the fluro. He was willing to keep trying as long as I could take it, and in total he was in the room with my husband and I for over an hour. My husband jumped on the table he found the port, stuck him once for numbing (which he didn't even need) and once for the fill. His went right it and out the whole thing for him was less than 4 or 5 minutes. So, that is how different a fill for one person can be compared to another I guess. But, it does seem that normally it goes pretty smooth and easy, but every once in a while there is a problem fill like mine. I am just hoping that I do not need anther one right away, although the doctor did say that it would be easier next time, since now he knows where my port is located. I sure hope so.

On another note, wow 4 cc's all at once, what size band to you have. Everyone thought 3 cc's was a lot for my husband's and he has a 10 cc band. I have a 4 cc band and had .8 fill put in during surgery and the my doctor yesterday put in 1.2 cc's to bring me up to an even 2 cc's.

Being affraid is totally normal. I was a bit scared on my first fill. Turned out to be no big deal. The second seemed to hurt a little more because of the scare tissue. I have a great fill nurse and she hits the port the first time everytime. Good luck and keep getting those fills as soon as you get loose again.

Up until I had my first fill I hadn't a clue where my port was located, as my surgeon only made 1 incision. The NP, who did the fill, showed me where it was, but quite honestly, with all the belly fat, I wasn't sure what I was touching. He had me do a crunch, and then I could feel it. So, if your fill doctor/NP has difficulty finding the port, suggest doing a crunch.

You are definately not the only wussie, if that is the case. I had my fill Monday, July 13, late in the after noon. OMG!!!! The doctor had trouble finding my port and it was horrible! He did give me a numbing shot, but it didn't work at all the first time and after trying for at least 20-30 minutes, he gave me another numbing shot, which helped some, but I totally felt everything and it HURT. I didn't want to post yesterday because I didn't want to scare the girl who started the post before she went, because the anxiety and nerves will make it worse. But seriously, he poked me a total of 9 times (2 were to numb) or more and my husband said he bent 2 needles (I couldn't watch) in the process on the metal around the port. The good news is he finally found the port. It was much lower than normal and since he didn't do my surgery it was difficult to find the center of it. I was really happy that he finally found it, I was so afraid that he would give up and I would of had to wait and schedule my fill with fluro at the hospital which probably would have taken a couple of weeks longer and it would have cost me an extra $200. I was very impressed in fact that the doctor hung in there and didn't give up and send me for the fluro. He was willing to keep trying as long as I could take it, and in total he was in the room with my husband and I for over an hour. My husband jumped on the table he found the port, stuck him once for numbing (which he didn't even need) and once for the fill. His went right it and out the whole thing for him was less than 4 or 5 minutes. So, that is how different a fill for one person can be compared to another I guess. But, it does seem that normally it goes pretty smooth and easy, but every once in a while there is a problem fill like mine. I am just hoping that I do not need anther one right away, although the doctor did say that it would be easier next time, since now he knows where my port is located. I sure hope so.

On another note, wow 4 cc's all at once, what size band to you have. Everyone thought 3 cc's was a lot for my husband's and he has a 10 cc band. I have a 4 cc band and had .8 fill put in during surgery and the my doctor yesterday put in 1.2 cc's to bring me up to an even 2 cc's.

Not sure which band I got, I asked the dr but since he didn't do the surgery (my surgeon had the resident do the dirty work, LOL) he wasn't sure. I was in too much pain to remember to ask my surgeon when he popped his head in to say "Give her 4 cc's!" I was like "NOOOOOOO!!! Isn't that TOO much?" and he said "nah, it'll be fine, you'll see", then he walked out. I was afraid since I read all the stories on here about not being able to swallow your own spit and I told him so. He said that it usually happens with the 2nd and 3rd fill where you find it may be too tight. Great. I hope that I don't need another fill, I already have my appointment for Aug. 24th for the next fill. One of the ladies that had the surgery there didn't get a fill (or really need one!) until like a year after her surgery and she lost over 100lbs! So we shall see!

Question, did you have to do a liquid diet for 2 days after? I do, but Im going to do it for 4 instead just to get back on the ball! How is it going so far?