Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Remind me why Pop is bad?

Hi All. Two things stick out from the consult I had with the dietitian. One ..don't drink carbonated beverages..WHY? I am a diet pepsi addict and I'm having a hard time letting that go, but don't want it to be the thing that derails me. And the 2nd one was hard candy and sunflower seeds.. refresh my surgery addled memory for me? Thanks!

Why not call the nutritionist tomorrow and ask?

Because that would be far too simple and would make way to much sense! Why start being reasonable now? lol kidding thanks for the very obvious answer to my question.

You know I was a little short..I should've said that each nutritionsit, doc, etc seem to have their own rationale for things, so why mine says something is a no no may not be the same reason. I got distracted and should've been a little more wordy! See, sunflower seeds aren't forbidden to me, nor is hard candy, etc....

So if I was short in my answer, you were gracious anyway! :thumbup:

AND I am a firm believer that each person should follow his/her doc's orders, mostly! IF you don't trust him, don't use him. if you do, give his viewpoint a chance; they are the pro's here. ;)

Restless is right every doctor is different mine said 6 mnths after surgery. I do have the occasional drink of pop and even the whole can if I have that urge. It's not nice going down so that keeps me away most times. Just that craving of the fizz gets to me and I take a drink! But I agree ask yoru doctor...and do what he says. Good Luck!

Hi All. Two things stick out from the consult I had with the dietitian. One ..don't drink carbonated beverages..WHY? I am a diet pepsi addict and I'm having a hard time letting that go, but don't want it to be the thing that derails me. And the 2nd one was hard candy and sunflower seeds.. refresh my surgery addled memory for me? Thanks!

My doc doesnt want me drinking carbonated beverages bc he says it could stretch your pouch AND/OR, help you eat more. I personally think they tell us this just so we stay away from pop and soda..bc it has no health benefit for us. I did a lot of research on the apsertame that is in diet pop...and that keeps me away from it for the most part.

I have no idea about sunflower seeds, but would like to hear what your nutritionist says.

As for hard candy, I've never heard this one, but I assume it is along the same lines as gum. If you were to swallow it by accident, it could get lodged or clog up your funnel...that would not be good.

Hope that helps,

Amy

My doc doesnt want me drinking carbonated beverages bc he says it could stretch your pouch

I have to call BS on this one. I can't imagine that much pressure building up without the gas either going north or south. I don't drink soda but I drink beer and never had any discomfort. I probably burp a bit more than normal and that's it.

I could never drink a soft drink again and it would be no big woop. BUT I LOVE BEER. And it hurts me to drink it. I can eat white bread. I can do tequila shots (LOL) I can eat chicken breast. But beer hurts. I have to drink it very very carefully or I get that "swallowed a golf ball" action going on. So...We are ALL DIFFERENT. :thumbup:

I drink pop on occasion. Fountain pop goes down eaiser for me than can or bottle. And I have to laugh about the sunflower seeds because I am sitting here eating them now.

I have to call BS on this one. I can't imagine that much pressure building up without the gas either going north or south. I don't drink soda but I drink beer and never had any discomfort. I probably burp a bit more than normal and that's it.

Oh I agree with you. That's why I said I think they just say that so we dont go nuts with beer and pop! The liquid in my band goes straight through...it couldnt sit in my pouch long enough to stretch it out. I just try and stay away from it but I still enjoy a diet sunkist every great once in awhile.

I had my second Emmi informational video today and it said do not drink carbonated beverages because it will cause gas and that will make your stomach swell and can possibly cause band slippage.

Hi:

My doctor allows diet soda and beer, but the beer in moderation. I love diet soda and drink 1 to 2 every day. I have to load up a cup with ice and stir alot of the bubbles out of it. In addition, I can only take sips. If I try to swig it down it comes back up with a bit of slime and discomfort added. I didn't drink soda until I had been banded for a couple of months. I started my second beverage addiction during that period - snapple diet peach iced tea - yummmmmmmmooooooo!

Like the others said, follow your doctors rules and you should do fine.

I love my band and my new flat tummy.

Sue

I just love that all of you are using the word pop. I didn't think many other parts of the country but mine used that word (Andy Griffith did on his show in Mayberry NC) but most people use soda, don't they? Just found it interesting.

I called it soft drink, for clarity, but in my neck of the woods we usually call them all "coke". :thumbup:

We call it soft drink down under.

My doctor - who was a band pioneer - thinks the no carbonated drinks thing is rubbish. Where it started I dont know, but he likens it to the theory that suddenly becuase you're banded your body needs ten times more Protein than it did before. So carbonated drinks are not forbidden BUT no doctor would advocate a regular intake of soft drinks - they're HORRIBLE for you diet or regular. They do terrible things to your body and are well and truly "sometimes" drinks, not everyday things.

I thankfully dont like soft drinks much but I do like soda Water (club soda I think? just plain carbonated water) and mineral Water but those are things I might drink out if I'm not having a glass of wine. Occasionally I like a beer too, but not often. But what you'll find is the bubbles really fill you up and you just cant down four diet cokes in a sitting.

i would also never say no to champagne, but those bubbles dont seem to have any effect on me.