Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very discouraged! 9 months post op and 50lbs lost.

I am so discouraged. I had hoped to be down 100lbs by my one year mark. I haven't lost anything for a month. I had a fill a month ago. And I had another fill yesterday. I am so hopeful this will be the one that helps. I do feel restriction now. I am at 6.5. I feel like I am eating well, but the weight is stuck. I feel like a failure....

Example menu

6am Protein Shake

9am yogurt nonfat

1130 salad with tuna

2pm cheese

630pm grilled chicken and salad.

So why am I not losing!!!! HELP!!!!:)

ok so im 10 months out and about 67 lbs down ( i need to update my ticker) so lets see here...are u exercising? if so how much? maybe u need to add on more calories to ur day? maybe between 1000 to 1300..or if u feel ur takin in to much decrease ur calories i wouldnt go under 1000 tho...also how about switchin up ur meals? maybe ur body is used to the food ur eating...hopefully this fill u just received will do the trick...ur weightloss is great for being 9 months out eventually ull be 100 lbs lighter it just takes time dont forget its a tool and the weight doesnt just fall right off u need to work hard to make that happen...bump up ur exercise, Protein and Water intake (but sometimes too much water will bloat u)...good luck let us know ur progress.

I am so discouraged. I had hoped to be down 100lbs by my one year mark. I haven't lost anything for a month. I had a fill a month ago. And I had another fill yesterday. I am so hopeful this will be the one that helps. I do feel restriction now. I am at 6.5. I feel like I am eating well, but the weight is stuck. I feel like a failure....

Example menu

6am Protein shake

9am yogurt nonfat

1130 salad with tuna

2pm cheese

630pm grilled chicken and salad.< /p>

okay dokey, I am just going by your sample menu...so I know it may not be a good reflection of what you eat weekly but here are some thoughts.

Why a Protein Shake in the morning? Is it bc you are too tight? If not, maybe replacing it with a solid food (with protein). Also, you listed salad twice. Salad is a slider food, and not very nutritionally beneficial. It won't keep you full or give you much energy.

I agree though that maybe you are not eating enough calories. Have you tried tracking with the daily plate or other websites? A lot of people say they need somewhere around 1200 to keep their weight loss steady.

Also, what does your exercise look like? If you are exercising regularly, maybe you are losing inches but not pounds? If you aren't exercising, maybe if you started it would help jump start things again?

Those are just some thoughts. What weight did you start at?

kjhack,

I wish you were not discouraged. In less than 9 months you have lost approx 1.4 lbs a week! I am sure you are down a few sizes and I am sure that people are telling you that you look wonderful.

I have had a similar lapband experience as far as weight loss. My surgery date was 10/27/08 and as of last Tuesday I was down 50 lbs. For a period of time I was losing 1 lb a week. Then, the fill I had in the beginning of May seemed to give me nearly perfect restriction...(in 8 weeks (May/June) I lost 13 lbs).

I am doing cartwheels. I feel great. My eating is under control. I am eating healthy foods (with the fairly regular treats). I am fit or at least getting there. I am taking spin classes. I am strength training. I am running. I look forward to exercising. I am more confident. I am laughing more. I am joking more. I am running around more. I have gotten me back.

I know I would not be here without the band.

Please do not be discourgaged. You are so not a failure. You are a success. A few things to try if you are not already. 1. Exercise. If you are not exercising, this will move the scale. If you are, try stepping it up. If you are walking, try adding in a minute of running in intervals. 2. Don't eat the same things or the same amounts every day. Try eating a bit more one day. I find that the inconsistency of my food intake works. 3. Maybe get your thyroid tested. 4. Try not to pay attention to where other people are at in their weight loss journey. Some lose weight very quickly. Others, like me, lose more slowly. But, I am sure I will get it all off...in time.

You are doing great. Thanks for listening. Tracy

Example menu

6am Protein shake

9am yogurt nonfat

1130 salad with tuna

2pm cheese

630pm grilled chicken and salad.< /p>

You don't mention quantities, carb intake (protein shake/yogurt/salad dressing), or exercise. We need more information.

I'm 8 months out and 49.6 down. I think you are doing great!! Can you just imagine what your weight would be if you'd gone through the last nine months without the band? Definitely cut yourself some slack! :biggrin:

I can totally relate to your frustration with being stalled. I've been there myself. Try mixing things up by eating different foods, varying your calorie intake, and mixing up your workout. There is no way that you won't lose more weight, so just hang in there until the loss cycle comes back!

Best wishes,

Catherine

Don't give up, look at how much you have lost!!!! Try doing something different in the exercise dept, maybe you have hit a plateau and the body need's a wake up like in the beginning. Hey at least you have not put any on!

cheers chooky

Example menu

6am Protein Shake

9am yogurt nonfat

1130 salad with tuna

2pm cheese

630pm grilled chicken and salad.

So why am I not losing!!!! HELP!!!!:smile2:

Hello Kj. From what I am seeing I think you have done a great job on weight loss. I also had wanted to hit the 100 lb mark but didn't make it. So that is fine. I have so far lost 71 lbs. That is LOST not gained. But you might not be eating enough calories. It took me a while to find out that If I eat less than 1200-1500 cal for more than a day or to I stop losing. My body goes into starvation mode. There are times I have trouble getting in that many calories.I am also a bouncer. For 2 or 3 weeks I will bounce up and down the same 2 or 3 lbs, then I will lose 2-5 lbs. Then start the whole cycle over. A lot of people do that. You might just need to switch up your eating habits. So don't be hard on yourself hon. Be patient and thankful that you are losing and not gaining like before the band. Good luck with the rest of your journey:biggrin:

Well, firstly I see 50 lb in 9 months as realistic, sensible achievable weight loss. 100lb in a year is pretty spectacular weight loss and not something everyone can achieve.

I also think plateaus just happen and can be a reminder to rededicate to your program and stop missing the details of what you eat, how you exercise etc, just get strict again. But they also just happen and there's zilch you can do sometimes except wait it out.

Some people lose weight fast, some dont. I took 2 and a bit years to lose 100lb but I'm there in my avatar in a bikini! I've maintained for 2 years give or take and I dont even THINK about how long it took to lose the weight.

I also enjoyed every new low on the way down. I felt freaking GREAT to have lost 50lb, I didnt spoil it by being down on myself becuase it took a few weeks more to get there.

You are doing great.

However, I can recommend interval training to get weight moving again. Its not for the faint hearted and it really isnt hard enough if you dont think you're going to puke or die by the end of it, but it really works!

Hi Kjhack,

I can totally symphathise!!

I am 9 months in and have lost a grand total of 40lbs.

Have 13mls in a 14ml band which is now pretty tight, (probably too tight if i'm totally honest).

I've lost 8 lbs since this last fill but that was in the liquid stage and I've lost nothing since. Can't have another fill as I wouldn't be able to swallow my own spit :crying: I'm currently pbing after almost every meal. Just ate a poached egg and a desert spoon of baked Beans. Down two minutes back up before three :D

I'll be honest with you guys I don't exercise, I hate it and don't want to do it. I also don't want to diet, if I could diet or wanted to exercise why would I have paid thousands of pounds (oh I'm English by the way), for what was sold to me as the ultimate portion controller. Oh I like to drink as well!

Oh god I'm obviously a bad person, take me out and flog me.

Well my mind says if my food intake is restricted enough physics alone says I will lose weight? How restricted can it get, yesterday's total intake was half a beefburger and 2 tablespoons of cottage pie.

SO WHY ISN'T IT HAPPENING :thumbup: ;):)

Kim

x

KJhack:

You list on your ticker that you wanted to lose 117 pounds, right? In most of the literature and from what my dr. said, you can expect to lose about 60 to 65 percent of your excess weight the first year. Well, 60% of 117 is 70 pounds. 9 months into that 70 pounds would put you at 52 pounds down. So you are really on target. Plus, I see so many people who have hit platau's which can be so hard.

Other factors to consider: what was your starting weight? Many of the people who seem to lose 100 pounds are close to 300 or more as a starting weight. If you start at the lower 200's it can just take more time.

You are doing so great! I look at it like, I was going up and never moving the scale back and now, even when I just lose a pound in a week I feel successful because I haven't gained a pound. I know it is difficult when you run into that plateau and cannot budge the scale but I think the suggestions above are a good way to help you jumpstart your weight loss again. Don't be so hard on yourself and concentrate on what you have already accomplished. You have done a great job!

Kimmy,

I was just banded this Tuesday. I knew going in that I would not be able to lose a significant amount of weight with the band unless I exercised. I too hate to exercise, but it is necessary.

How did I know this going in? I've spent half of my life dieting. I could not get weight to go without exercising my arse off. As soon as I'm able, I plan on exercising again. Right now, I'm trying to just walk.

The band is a tool that I plan to use to keep me from overeating even healthy stuff and still be satisfied.

Try walking! I wish you guys luck in your continued journey.

If all you had was 1/2 a beef burger and two spoonful's of cottage pie, then my guess is you are not getting enough calories in. If you are full from eating, try adding in some Protein drinks and see if that jogs the system.

Good Luck

Hi Kjhack,

I can totally symphathise!!

I am 9 months in and have lost a grand total of 40lbs.

Have 13mls in a 14ml band which is now pretty tight, (probably too tight if i'm totally honest).

I've lost 8 lbs since this last fill but that was in the liquid stage and I've lost nothing since. Can't have another fill as I wouldn't be able to swallow my own spit :crying: I'm currently pbing after almost every meal. Just ate a poached egg and a desert spoon of baked Beans. Down two minutes back up before three :D

Get a slight unfill.

I'll be honest with you guys I don't exercise, I hate it and don't want to do it. I also don't want to diet, if I could diet or wanted to exercise why would I have paid thousands of pounds (oh I'm English by the way), for what was sold to me as the ultimate portion controller. Oh I like to drink as well!

I have to say it... I will say it.

You can't pay for weight loss, that isn't how it works. Just a very small amount of research shows quite clearly that the band (or any WLS) is merely a tool for you to do it yourself. It is not a magical cure, you pay money, have surgery, and somehow pounds just fly off. That's not realistic. You have to watch what you are eating and get out there and exercise. Don't like exercise? I do not care, do it anyway. We don't like a lot of things in life but we do them anyway as responsible adults. Don't like to watch what you are putting in your mouth? Tough, do it anyway. You are an adult and you need to act like a responsible adult to lose weight. I think 99.9% of us hate diet and exercise but if you want weight loss, you do it. Period.

Oh god I'm obviously a bad person, take me out and flog me.

It is not a matter of being a bad person, it is a matter of being responsible for your own actions and if you want the weight loss badly enough you do what you have to do. If you don't want weight loss just have the band removed and do what you wish.

Well my mind says if my food intake is restricted enough physics alone says I will lose weight? How restricted can it get, yesterday's total intake was half a beefburger and 2 tablespoons of cottage pie.

SO WHY ISN'T IT HAPPENING :thumbup: ;):)

Kim

x

It doesn't happen overnight. You didn't put it on overnight and you aren't going to take it off overnight. It takes a LOT of hard work.

If all you had was 1/2 a beef burger and two spoonful's of cottage pie, then my guess is you are not getting enough calories in. If you are full from eating, try adding in some Protein drinks and see if that jogs the system.

Good Luck

Any science to prove that claim? ;o) I see that written a gazillion times on this board and I would love for someone to show some solid, peer reviewed studies proving this claim.

If you eat more you have more calories to burn.