Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't. I guess I'm strict with myself. I don't want to do anything that may cause anything to go wrong with my weight loss or the band. Also, I don't want to chance the pain some people get from drinking soda, nor do I want to eat more because the carbonation expanded my pouch.

I just asked my nutrionalist about this at my last appointment, throughout the process they told us no carbonated bevarages period. So I asked her a couple of weeks ago is that forever, and why, and she said as long as it's in moderation, it shouldn't be a problem. She said the reason they say no carbonation is because drinking soda is not a healthy habit and they want us to be as healthy as we can be. She said an occasional carbonated beverage wouldn't stretch your band, but it might be uncomfortable to drink depending on the person.

I'm sure this contradicts what many other doctors/nutritionalist say, everything about this surgery seems to vary from doctor to doctor but that is what I was told. I haven't tried anything carbonated yet, and probably won't for a long while, but at least I know my docs true take on it now.

I think this topic comes up once a week and the more I read them, the more it seems that people are asking for permission to drink them. So they either know it's wrong, and want to make it OK, or the don't know the answer. I have seen things from none to moderation. My doc. told me no more carbonation and I am sticking to it. Ya moderation, we have all tried moderation before and it has failed us more than once. IMO, why take the risk!! Take another healthy step toward a new you. Lose the pop and caffeine and you will benefit from it in the long run.

I allowed myself once a week when Pepsi-throwback was out. Now I'm back to none. If I find myself in Mexico I may pick up a coke on occasion, but I'm basically back to none.

I just asked my nutrionalist about this at my last appointment, throughout the process they told us no carbonated bevarages period. So I asked her a couple of weeks ago is that forever, and why, and she said as long as it's in moderation, it shouldn't be a problem. She said the reason they say no carbonation is because drinking soda is not a healthy habit and they want us to be as healthy as we can be. She said an occasional carbonated beverage wouldn't stretch your band, but it might be uncomfortable to drink depending on the person.

I'm sure this contradicts what many other doctors/nutritionalist say, everything about this surgery seems to vary from doctor to doctor but that is what I was told. I haven't tried anything carbonated yet, and probably won't for a long while, but at least I know my docs true take on it now.

I thought other than expanding your pouch the big deal is that the acidity in carbonation will corrode somthing in the band--so I went cold turkey and haven't had one since I started my preop diet. I really miss my Diet Dew, but I've been drinking Crystal Lite instead.

The acidity in the carbonation won't corrode the band. The band is outside your stomach, not in where the carbonated beverage would be.

However there are many reasons to avoid it. Ask your doc or nutritionist (in my office the doc calls the shots) WHY you can't have it, then decide if it's worth it for you.

I think the reason I don't drink them was initially because I was told not to. But now that I've had it out of my system and have gotten used to not having it I look back and realize how truly addicted I was to soda. Honest to goodness, I was TRULY addicted. When you're planning out your trips based on how long you wait before you have to have another Diet Coke, or are late to a meeting simply because you have to have a Diet Coke, you're not in control.

Now I hardly think about sodas, and it feel so good to not be controlled by something as stupid as a soda. I don't have any comments about "your doctor said no!" or "it's bad for you!". I'm just saying, most of us were addicted to these drinks, wouldn't it feel good to say you quit the habit ?

I was told moderation mainly because of the gas discomfort it can cause. Haven't had any yet to busy exploring all the crystal light flavors their are...I wish they made a black cherry

BillO what is it about the coke in Mexico? I was there last November before being banded and I was offered a coke and couldn't stop drinking them throughout the trip.

My husband and I both agreed that they tasted better in Mexico. Any ideas?

They probably use the old fashioned sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup.< /p>

I think this topic comes up once a week and the more I read them, the more it seems that people are asking for permission to drink them. So they either know it's wrong, and want to make it OK, or the don't know the answer. I have seen things from none to moderation. My doc. told me no more carbonation and I am sticking to it. Ya moderation, we have all tried moderation before and it has failed us more than once. IMO, why take the risk!! Take another healthy step toward a new you. Lose the pop and caffeine and you will benefit from it in the long run.

You really need to quit reading my mind!

This was exactly what I was thinking

jujuvee--Mexican Coke is made with real sugar, our Coke is high fructose corn Syrup

BillinOh and Jujuvee--check your local Whole Foods or another specialty grocery, they may carry Mexican Coke.

To answer the original question--I had an almost a 12-pack a day Diet Coke habit, haven't had one since the surgery. I did have a few sips of a Mexican Coke that I bought a few months ago

delish!

Actually caffeine isn't really all that bad for you. It was "out" for a while, but now is coming back "in". It's the carbonation that's the kicker.

If you doubt, just google "health benefits of caffeine". It can really be good for you. I was told to avoid it because it

"makes some people hungry" (see how I asked my doc why he said to avoid it?) Well, it doesn't make me hungry, so I have coffee and tea with caffeine. If I don't have it do I jones for it? No. No headaches...no "meaner than usual". We're all different....we all should ask our surgeons for their thinking on "NO MORE >>>>>>" use common sense and personal experience.

I agree if I had been addicted to diet coke to the point of being late for a meeting....moderation is probably not the way to go for me! :tongue2:

But we're not all the same, are we?

Edited by RestlessMonkey

I was told absolutely no carbonation by my surgeon but my releasing doctor at the hospital said it was ok to sip a little bit but don't down a 32oz. gulp or something. So, I recently tried a couple of sips of diet coke and boy did my shoulder act up. When I was drinking a lot of caffeine can I tell you that on one of my mammos my doctor showed me how much caffeine can interfere with their x-ray. When she showed me the effects of caffeine on my breasts I couldn't believe it. They were really cloudy and she said it makes it very hard to see if something is in there like a tumor! I was flabbergasted and immediately began drinking caffeine free everything. When I had my next mammo, it was amazing to see how clear my breasts were. You could see the veins and everything. A little caffeine I believe is good for you that you get naturally in veggies, etc. but not good in something you devour everyday like coffee or cokes. Anyway, I have stuck to the Crystal lights and diet Cranberry, etc. and really haven't missed carbonation at all.

How odd, caffeine has never made my mammograms "cloudy". I guess we're all different! LOL

I have read that caffeine can make mammography more painful, but recent evidence belies even that.

Edited by RestlessMonkey