Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Just Banded 6/16/09-Having a rough time!

Hello! My name is Cheryl & i am a 32 year old mom of a 13 year old & a 1 year old!! (both girls) I work part time, although I don't go back to work until Monday.

Ok, so I was banded June 16th & the first few days were great! I had minimal pain and was up and walking shortly after recovery. Well after that, it all went downhill. I have asked God what i have done to myself. I hate to eat because it reminds me of everything I cannot have. I am depressed and cannot believe I did this to myself! (I have been to counseling, just on case anyone was going to suggest) I have no one really close by who knows what I am going through. I know from what I read that it will get better, but at this point I wish I had the money & a surgeon to get this thing out!!!!!!!!!!! Pathetic I know. Today is the start of mushies, although I tried some yesterday & they went fine. Hoping to talk with someone who went through this & is now happy. :P

Hello! My name is Cheryl & i am a 32 year old mom of a 13 year old & a 1 year old!! (both girls) I work part time, although I don't go back to work until Monday.

Ok, so I was banded June 16th & the first few days were great! I had minimal pain and was up and walking shortly after recovery. Well after that, it all went downhill. I have asked God what i have done to myself. I hate to eat because it reminds me of everything I cannot have. I am depressed and cannot believe I did this to myself! (I have been to counseling, just on case anyone was going to suggest) I have no one really close by who knows what I am going through. I know from what I read that it will get better, but at this point I wish I had the money & a surgeon to get this thing out!!!!!!!!!!! Pathetic I know. Today is the start of mushies, although I tried some yesterday & they went fine. Hoping to talk with someone who went through this & is now happy. :)

Hi Cheryl, I am Karen and I am 50. I was banded on June 17th so I feel your pain. I actually got stomach flu from the hospital so it has really been fun for me. I am fine now and I totally understand wanting to eat and not being able to. When you get to the mushies it really helps a lot. Get creative with them. You'd be suprised what can be mushed up with a bullet. Do you have one? They are great. You can get them at Walmart or somewhere like that for about $30 bucks or so. Just keep remembering why you did it. You had to have had a darn good reason to want to go through it in the first place. Believe it or not, getting back to work will help to. It will take your mind of off eating. Hang in there and write me if you want anytime you feel down. I am at kgibson6@tampabay.rr.com. Please feel free. Take Care :P

Hey Karen!

Thanks for replying. Yeah, i hope going back to work does help. Every day, every second is a struggle! I know this too shall pass, but I just want to be happy again. I have not been myself since I did this. I will drop you an email soon, my email address starts the same as my username, so don't put me in the spam folder!! LOL:smile:

I was just banded on June 2. I went through the exact same thing you are describing. It went away once I started trying to focus on something besides food. You've just lost your favorite past-time activity. But, you knew you had to do it (just like the rest of us). You need to replace it with a healthier alternative. Just keep yourself busy and it will pass in a few days.

I was just banded on June 2. I went through the exact same thing you are describing. It went away once I started trying to focus on something besides food. You've just lost your favorite past-time activity. But, you knew you had to do it (just like the rest of us). You need to replace it with a healthier alternative. Just keep yourself busy and it will pass in a few days.

Thank you for the heads up! i was hoping that would be the case. I am trying to keep the mind busy so it doesn't wander too much.:P

Everything you are feeling is perfectly normal and will definitely get better. As the diet allowances move forward and you start seeing normal food again, you will be glad you had this done. I was banded 01/23/09 and have lost 78 pounds. I have never been sorry but there are defintitely adjustments you have to make. I remember my first bite of mashed potatoes after surgery. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. "Real" food never tasted so good. Hang in there. Use this group as you need and know that you will continue to have ups and downs but by far will probably look at this as a new beginning.

Thank you for your kind words. I have to say, I am doing a lot better than I was. I know exactly what u mean about the mashed potatoes!! LOL:tt2: Congrats on the awesome weight loss!! There have been a couple of great people on here who have reached out to make me feel better & I truly appreciate them & now you!! Thanks again...

I think mashed potatoes are the first thing post-liquid diet most bandsters eat, LOL. And, WOW, those were the best mashed potatoes I ever ate in my entire life.

I'm 5 months post-op today and will be glad to answer questions, offer reassurance, etc. if you need it!

parr0thd51@aol.com Just to make it easy, that's a ZERO in my screen name rather than the letter "oh".

Hey Butterfly, I was banded 2 days after you but this is my second band. I am here to tell you that bands work if you do your part. I lost 203 lbs with my first band. I gained 60 between bands and started with the new band at 49.8 lbs from goal. I had a load of plastic surgery shortly after rebanding and am only just now starting to focus on wt loss. I had so much push to eat from my plastic docs that I have basically ate most any liquids, softs and now mushies that I could get in. I am however feeling that I am wasting time cause I am not trying to loose wt, so I made the switch, today I started seriously watching my carbs and cals.

Don't feel like you are the only one who has buyer's remorse because I have heard of many who do. You are an addict to the feeling that food gives you and to avoiding the feelings that come up when you can't eat. You will have to deal with those negative feelings. The best ways I have found its to start a new project and you can let that project be you. Start logging your food and activity on fitday, and try to work in just a little more fun physical activity everyday.

If I can help you in any way I will be glad to. Don't hesitate to get in touch with me. You can see my before and after pics on my profile.

Corliss

Hi Cheryl. I hope you are doing much better as each day passes. I'm glad you went to counseling, that is a positive thing to do for yourself.

I am fond of Soup so I can offer up cooled Soup, not too hot, french onion is my favorite. That is normal and something you can order at a restaurant.

Chewing remains the biggest obsticle for me. I had to learn how to chew my food to mush and then swallow rather than gulping my food down with liquid. There are some changes we all have to learn to do but it is worth it when you see the pounds coming off and worth it moreso when you start feeling light on your toes.

Best to you and you can PM me whenever you wish, that is private message. It's the option located in my name, click on my name and you will see the email option or private message. I would be happy to offer a helping hand along the way.

Patty

Hey Butterfly, I was banded 2 days after you but this is my second band. I am here to tell you that bands work if you do your part. I lost 203 lbs with my first band. I gained 60 between bands and started with the new band at 49.8 lbs from goal. I had a load of plastic surgery shortly after rebanding and am only just now starting to focus on wt loss. I had so much push to eat from my plastic docs that I have basically ate most any liquids, softs and now mushies that I could get in. I am however feeling that I am wasting time cause I am not trying to loose wt, so I made the switch, today I started seriously watching my carbs and cals.

Don't feel like you are the only one who has buyer's remorse because I have heard of many who do. You are an addict to the feeling that food gives you and to avoiding the feelings that come up when you can't eat. You will have to deal with those negative feelings. The best ways I have found its to start a new project and you can let that project be you. Start logging your food and activity on fitday, and try to work in just a little more fun physical activity everyday.

If I can help you in any way I will be glad to. Don't hesitate to get in touch with me. You can see my before and after pics on my profile.

Corliss

Corliss this is the best post I have read, to capture what I had to learn, in a while. You speak many truths here.

Fitday is a good one to have to keep track of food intake.

My hats off to you for the strength it took in going in for a second time. Overcoming my food addiction has been an intense process. There was much buried beneath my food.

Karen I hope you continue to improve in strength each day.

Patty

Corliss this is the best post I have read, to capture what I had to learn, in a while. You speak many truths here.

Fitday is a good one to have to keep track of food intake.

My hats off to you for the strength it took in going in for a second time. Overcoming my food addiction has been an intense process. There was much buried beneath my food.

Karen I hope you continue to improve in strength each day.

Patty

TY Patty, I have read a lot of your posts on the plastic surgery forum. You had caught my eye, I identify with so much you have written. Sounds like you did a tremendous amount of work even before you were banded. Please PM me anytime.

Corliss

Corliss

Hey Corliss, 203 lbs??!!!!!!!! WOW!! That is awesome!! Congrats! Thank you for your kind words & suggestions. I am so happy to hear of someone who has had such great success.:thumbdown: Cheryl

Hi Cheryl. I hope you are doing much better as each day passes. I'm glad you went to counseling, that is a positive thing to do for yourself.

I am fond of Soup so I can offer up cooled Soup, not too hot, french onion is my favorite. That is normal and something you can order at a restaurant.

Chewing remains the biggest obsticle for me. I had to learn how to chew my food to mush and then swallow rather than gulping my food down with liquid. There are some changes we all have to learn to do but it is worth it when you see the pounds coming off and worth it moreso when you start feeling light on your toes.

Best to you and you can PM me whenever you wish, that is private message. It's the option located in my name, click on my name and you will see the email option or private message. I would be happy to offer a helping hand along the way.

Patty

Hi Patty!! Thank you for your suggestions. I am doing better everyday & have started helping someone I know that will be having surgery soon. It makes me feel good to be able to answer her questions!! :thumbdown: Cheryl

I know how you gals feel. I was banded 3-25-09 and for the first week I was like "WHY DID I DO THIS?!" Now, I couldn't be happier. You will get there, just hang in there! You did the hardest part already - having the courage to have the surgery! Congratulations on being newly banded ^_^