Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Friendly Restaurants

Ive used mine at the Golden Corral down here in Georgia. There isnt anything too apealling to me on a kids menu, plus im a vegetarian, so I just order a reg meal and take the left overs home.

I got a lapband "kit" that included a temporary card and a mail-in for a permanent card. The main purpose of the card is to carry it with you in case of an emergency -- the EMT's or ER staff will then know you have a surgical band on your stomach.

I've never used my card, I usually just order a regular meal and take home the leftovers for my husband to eat the next day.

The one time I was going to try using it was at a Buffalo Hot Wings place in Wisconsin where it clearly states any one over 12 will be denied ordering from the child's menu. I placed my order from the child's menu and the waitress never even questioned me. I was actually kind of disappointed because I was just in the mood for a fight. :thumbup: They actually have things other than fried on the children's menu, salad & such. :cursing:

Almost every restaurant I have been to has been cooperative. I have only had to show my card one time. I just let the waitress know that I have had weight loss surgery if they ask. Most of the time they don't even ask and I just order from the kids menu.

We went to a Pasta place for the dinner the other night in a large group and I just ordered the vegitarian Pasta without the pasta. The veggies were great! I think you can also be creative in your ordering to get what you want too.

I will also order a Protein (chicken, shrimp, etc) and then share the veggies from my husband's plate. You can order off the appetizer menu too. I have not had problems ordering at Applebee's, Out Back, Olive Garden, Johnny Carinos, and Red Robin.

I am also a little embarassed. I found also that the kids menu is fried foods and high in calories. So what i do is i order a healthy meal and split it with my 6 year old who eats like a bird also.

Many restaurants also have a senior menu that you can order off of, this is typically healthier and smaller portions. Bob Evans comes to mind.

When this comes up, I like to mention that there is a Chinese Buffet near me that the kids price is 50 cents per year old That would mean 25 dollars for me.

You might look at the appetizer menu. I know most of them are deep-fried cheese and dough, but at one place my daughter and I go, Mimi's, I can order an appetizer of a handful of lime-cilantro-grilled shrimp and asparagus. (Yes, it's fabulous!) I'm not banded yet, but when I had this appetizer a few months ago I made a mental note of this option. Of course, I live in California, where we've elevated picky eating to an art form.

Good luck everyone. :thumbup:

I just thought it was some card that each surgeons practice would make up & hand out.

I get a doggy bag or order appetizers.< /p>

Mrs. Mink: You'll get the card when you go in for your first fill. You probably had yours done where I did and that's when I got mine. I've never used it yet, I just take mine home.

Register at Lapband.com. That's where I got mine from. It takes a few weeks for it to come in the mail.

Before lapband, my husband and I frequented an "all you can eat" Chinese buffet near our house. My husband loves their crab legs and sushi (as well as many other things). He wants me to try to use my card there so we can pay less for me, but you know, one time I sat and watched this skinny couple eat what I considered to be a very small amount of food (hence the "skinny"?!) and they paid the regular price--I guess that was all they could eat! LOL! I don't know, I feel really weird about even thinking about using the card at restaurants.

Register at Lapband.com. That's where I got mine from.

that must be why I have idea what this card is, I have the Realize band

i first look to see what is on a childs menu if there are thing like grilled chicken breast things like that i order from it. i have yet to have any trouble. and who cares who knows.

i have yet to be questioned or turned down.

life is to short to worry what a waitness or waiter thinks!

Mrs. Mink ask your Dr about giving you one. he should have it. it just explains that you had WLS and you can only eat small amounts. So please let the person order from the child"s menu. I haven't used mine yet. The few times I have eaten out the kid's menu have junk foods that I don't want. I thought about trying it at a buffet. I miss buffets. Get a kids plate and pay kids price. Some days all I want is a big variety of veggies. I don't want to cook a bunch of veggies and waste them if I don't get them eaten soon enough. Sometimes I freeze them for veggie Soup. But still it would be nice for someone else to do all the cooking.

I am also embarassed about using the card, so far I haven't used it. But I am going away this weekend and will be dining out more, so my nurse suggested asking to to order off the senior menu as opposed to the childrens because the food tends to be healthier.

Also, some other banders have said macaroni Grill will accept the card, Red Robin, Fridays, etc.

I agree with the posters who said the kids' menu is not at all healthy. Choices like mac and cheese, chicken tenders, french fries are the norm. You are better off ordering what you want and taking most of it with you home, or ordering an appetizer and salad, or chicken caesar salad, chef's salad, stuff like that if you don't or can't take it home for another meal.

As for the cards, many surgeons give the card mentioned to show to restaurants, explaining that you need to order smaller portions or from the children's menu. Apparently from the posts not all give them out. If I remember correctly, obesityhelp.com has a sample card that you can print out to use. They have revamped their website so you may have to look a bit, but I think it is there.

Also if you have the Lapband AP by Allergan, they are offering a permanent ID card on their website. I got one and it is very nice, and has a paragraph addressed to restaurants. The print is a little small, but it is there. Online they ask for your temp ID number (7 digits). I didn't have a 7 digit number so I called their 800 number and they asked me a couple questions (doc name, date of surg, etc) and within a week I had it. Go to lapband.com for info. They also have special deals with Curves and I think Fitday and stuff. Realize may have something similar, but I am not familiar with their site since I have the AP.

When I am in a restaurant, since you don't drink with meals and I had long been a Water drinker, I just ask for Water like I have always done, then I leave it sit. I order an appetizer and salad mostly and still take some of that home. But you are out with friends and having a nice social time. I have not felt the need to use a card at restaurants.