Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any bandsters out there that play softball? If so, do you have problems with the port? I love to play and can't wait to play when I'm 100 pounds lighter, I'm just scared that I will hurt myself. Anyone have any experiences they could share?

Thanks,

Stacy

I played for years and years, from the age of 7 until I was about 25. I only ever injured myself badly once playing softball - I tore all the quadriceps tendons off my pelvis when batting (the twisting). I had to have surgery for that one, to pin them back.

I really cant imagine how you'd hurt your port, you'd be very unlucky. I played A grade softball and it just isnt a contact sport, even sliding, you're not likely to hurt your port. Knees and ankles, maybe, but not your port.

I played industrial league baseball for several years and other than a jammed finger a couple of times, I never suffered any injury. And more than that, nobody I knew on any of the teams ever suffered a belly-area inury of any sort. I played shortstop and made a few diving catches, skidded on wet grass on my a$$ to make a catch once....you get the picture. Industrial league is highly competitive, professional umpires, etc. and people played hard to win. I agree with Jachut in that I "cant imagine how you'd hurt your port" playing softball.

I play mens slowpitch softball and have for years. I'm almost 2 yrs post op and have never had any problem. I play mainly 3B. I made sure softball would be no problem after the surgery when I first started considering it.

Cool, that's good to know. I'm signed up for the fall league and my biggest fear was it twisting or something like that since it would be so soon after surgery. Fall league starts in September.

We have a game the night after my surgery, do you think I'll be able to coach it? Or do you think I'll be too sore?

Not sure what to expect. I went to a support group meeting and one of the people there had just had it done the day before and said he felt fine.

All depends on how you feel. Me personally, no way I could have made it out to the fields. My midsection was just too sore. I would say do as your body tells you it can do.

My "mentor" who works in my doctor's office is 3 years post op and she plays softball. She has not told me of any injuries.

I really cant imagine how you'd hurt your port, you'd be very unlucky. I played A grade softball and it just isnt a contact sport, even sliding, you're not likely to hurt your port. Knees and ankles, maybe, but not your port.

Having a lazy eye and limited depth perception, i could envision myself fielding a grounder and having it smack me straight on in the port. If I find an over 50 team that will have me, I'll stick to the outfield.