Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It wasn’t a big deal, though I was kinda excited to have it done. I was excited because I sleepwalk and save people in my sleep and I was curious if I would be caught on tape during the study. I wanted a copy! LOL It was somewhat like sleeping in a hotel somewhere, but with wires coming from everywhere! I had trouble falling asleep because I am a stomach/side sleeper and the wires did not permit me to get into my normal sleeping position, but I eventually fell asleep.

The worst thing was the goop they use in your hair to hook you up. I have long hair. I asked the hook up dude if I should pull it back and he asked if I normally pull it back at night, if not, then don’t. I wish I had. My hair got all tangled up in the wires and then when he was disconnecting me at 4:30am, he dropped one of the goop covered prods into my hair which then turned into a clump of hair and goop! LOL I rushed home and washed my hair twice and the goop came out. Don’t let that stuff sit in your hair or you may have a rough time getting it out. I’d also recommend doing the study on a night when you don’t have to go to work the next day.

I thought I had sleep apnea, but actually have hypopnea (shallow breathing). One doctor thought I still needed a CPAP, but another doctor believed it was very mild and would resolve with weigh loss and stopping smoking. The second doctor said that my hypopnea was positional and during REM, but that my average of 6 times per hour was just over the acceptable 5? I had no episodes while on my side, only on my back and during REM. I found out that if I did have sleep apnea that I would have to have another sleep study using the CPAP (I think it was called a titration study?) to measure the effectiveness of the CPAP.

Good luck with everything!

EmmyLou,

I had to have the stupid sleep test too even though I told them I didnt have it. It was a HORRIBLE night and I see why people leave. I found out I also have Hypopnea thats what the technician said. I left the sleep center a message and they are going to call me tomorrow. I hope I dont have to rent a cpap machine. Did they tell you that? They put the cpap machine on me and I was able to sleep for about 4 hrs but it was HORRIBLE. I felt claustrophobic and I would NEVER use that in real life. I am just jumping thru these hoops to get approved. I see you live in Va as well. Did anyone say this is a comorbidity and do you have to use a CPAP machine?

Good luck to you!

I was diagnosed with sleep Apnea in 1997. I tried the CPAP but I couldn't breath, I felt like someone was holding a bag over my face.

I stopped breathing on the average of 54 times an hour. Wow, I can't believe I got any sleep at all. No wonder why I was exhausted all the time, I thought it was raising 3 boys alone and going to nursing school.

Anyway, in 1998 I had my Uvula (the little dangly thing in the back of the throat) removed and my adenoids scraped. Wow, was that painful. But it didn't help at all, I snore worse than before, even though the Dr said I could never make that sound again without the Uvula. I remember that skit on Saturday Night Live "take care of your Uvula" to this day, it came out a few weeks after my surgery.

My most recent sleep study in 2003 said I stop breathing 28 times an hour. Still not good but I can't use the CPAP. So I take Lunesta and hope weight loss will help more. the lunesta helps me fall asleep and even though I stop breathing I do feel a bit more rested. I just wish the side effect of terrible taste in my mouth could be prevented.

Why do they make u take this test? Is it dangerous if you have sleep apnea? My doc's practice isn't making me take it - and it sounds like everyone thinks they don't have it but they do?? ?Confused. Or is it just an insurance thing?

not quite sure why the test is required prior to surgery but I have my consultation scheduled for the 31st.

You guys think it was hard on you I work 3rd shift! How the heck am I going to do this? They said they can do it during the day since that is when I sleep. I'm a horrible sleeper to begin with. I need a sleep mask and earplugs at home to sleep. So if I have to do it on a night I have to work this will be interesting! UGH!

I was so nervous for my sleep study. I did it on July 5th.. and we hit so much traffic off the cape to go to it, i was crying the whole car ride because we were running late and i think nerves had just got to me. I arrived to the study an hour late, and was greeted by a super nice women and calmed me right down. There were a lot of wires etc but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I didn't sleep to well I fell asleep around 2 am... She wanted me to start out sleeping on my back ( that didn't happen) and i ended up falling asleep on my side totally fine. In the middle of the night she woke me up and put me on the cpap machine and I fell right back to sleep. Come to find out I have sleep apnea, honestly I would have never known if I didn't go. I thought you had to be snoring to have it, because my dad has it and snores, but you can have it and not snore.. Hopefully once I lose some weight it will go away!

I did it twice, once regular and the second one with the machine hooked up. With a lower BMI, I was nervous that I wouldn't meet insurance requirements so that why I chose to do it. It was honestly the worst sleep I've ever had and hope to never do it again. You're in a foreign place, you know people are watching you...blah. The first one wasn't too bad, but when I had to use the cpap machine, I slept for maybe 4 hours and then just woke up because I could NOT get used to it, and it was even the "less invasive" one that goes on just the nose area.

Buuut I'm glad to have done it because who knows if I would have got approved without it?

I had to do the test while laying on my back the entire night. At midnight they came in and put the cpap machine on me and told me not to move. It was horrible.

Took almost 2 hrs to fall asleep with the cpap on me... Also, they took one pillow away from me so i was basically straight on the bed. In the morning, the tech said i did so much better with the sleep machine on me. He told me I did not have sleep apnea, just shallow breathing. I read online about this and this is usually only if you sleep on your back. I am a stomach and side sleeper so there statistics will not be valid since they forced me to only sleep on my back. I personally think this is a scam to make more money for all those involved especially the sleep center, vendors for the machines etc.

It was the WORST appointment I had ever had. I will do what I have to do to get thru all of this but that appt was horrendous!!!!!! I hope I do not need a CPAP machine because it is claustrophic and I will never use it.

I just began the whole testing process and got a call yesterday to book my " sleep apnea" test. I am almost positive I do not have it , but what do I know.

I am not too excited about leaving my 11 month old and husband to sleep at some hospital...but I guess this is apart of the whole process.

Did anyone else have to take this test, and if so how was there experience?

Thanks everyone

It was the worst thing I have done that didn't involve actual pain. I've actually done the sleep test 5 times, 4 with all the wires hooked up. I now understand how sleep deprivation can be used as torture. I'm proud to be cured of sleep apnea!