Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! I've been reading through some posts and it looks like everyone is doing well! I have a few questions about the pre-op diet. I know that every surgeon is different but basicaly what are they trying to achieve out of the pre-op diet? I've heard some say to shrink the liver and some say to protect the stomach and others simply to just lose weight. How long do you have to be on the pre-op diet before you have surgery? If I start dieting now will it help? I haven't been to my seminar yet, it is scheduled for July 7th.

After surgery, how long will you be in pain? How long is the hospital stay? How long do you have to be out of work? Wow, I'm asking alot of questions! :frown: :( Thank you for listening......or reading! :):wub:

The pre-op diet for me was two weeks of liqued only. This was to shrink the liver. I was in pain about 4 days and slept in the lazy boy. I took a full week off work. I went into the surgery clinic at 5:45am and was home by 1:00pm. This included pre surgery prep stuff and about an hour and a half recovery room. I was up walking around and drinking Water right away.

Bring a gas relief with because you will have that pain. I used Phazime(sp) the gas x strips did not work.

For most doctors, the goal is to provide themselves more space to work in when they do your surgery -- so they want to shrink your liver by getting you to lose some weight. I was never told to lose a certain amount of weight but just to stick with the pre-op diet for the TWO WEEKS ending the day of my surgery.

Every doctor's pre-op diet seems to differ from everyone else. Mine was two whey Protein shakes per day and two meals that consisted of 3 oz of lean Protein and steamed or raw veggies. It really wasn't bad at all.

Starting before you even attend a seminar is crazy because it could take you a month or even longer to jump through all the testing hoops and get insurance approval much less even get on the surgical schedule. And, your insurance may even require your BMI to be a certain level when you start the process or they won't approve you. All things to consider.

I was NEVER in any pain at all. I was a little sore but it wasn't even bad enough to require liquid Tylenol much less the liquid LorTabs my doc prescribed for me. Gas that they pump into your abdomen when they begin surgery can cause you some discomfort but walking, moving and using a heating pad helps that more than any medicine could.

My surgery was outpatient but I know some docs do an overnight stay... and that may be determined by what your insurance will pay for, as well.

I had surgery on Tuesday and went back to Friday. I was tired by the end of that Friday but not ridiculously so. I also didn't lay in the bed AT ALL. I got up showered, got dressed and tried to do "normal" stuff the days I was home. I can't say if that made a difference or not. And, if it had been absolutely necessary, I could have gone back to work on Thursday but that extra day made all the difference in the world.

Hope all this helps!

Hi Loreli,

Congrats on taking the first few steps and scheduling a seminar! This website is a great resource. There are so many people on here with great experience (both good and bad) to share.

In my experience, the pre-op diet was to shrink my liver for surgery (the liver sits right on top of where they place the band and the need to lift it, and keep it lifted during surgery), to help jump start my weight loss (which it did, I lost 20 pounds preop) and also get me prepared for life after surgery (which it really did...those few days post op of Clear liquids only was not very hard for me). My pre-op diet was supposed to be 2 weeks before surgery. My surgery got postponed and it ended up being 3 weeks. But after the first 4 or 5 days I was used to it and was not obsessing about food that much. An extra week wasn't a big deal and I ended up losing more weight in that last week (and of course, further shrinking the liver). However, the pre-op diets vary by surgeon. Some on here didn't have to do a pre-op diet and some people had a pre-op diet which consisted of low carb meals, etc. My pre-op diet was all liquids (slim-fast, broth, sugar free fat free Jello, crystal light, sugar free applesauce, etc.).

When I met with the nutritionist (probably 4-5 weeks before surgery) they outlined some small goals to start working on before the preop diet. It included eating smaller portions, cutting back on sweets, chewing very well etc. I think it never hurts, and is generally helpful, to start changing your eating and lifestyle before you start the pre-op diet. Plus you'll jump start your weightloss which was really encouraging when I did it (it got me through the difficulty of not eating everything that I wanted to).

I am almost 7 days post op. The 2nd day post-op I walked 6-7 blocks. I was up and moving the same day. My surgery was at 730am. My surgeon said that if I wanted to go home in the evening that day I could, but if I wanted to stay overnight for one night I also could. I chose to stay overnight. I personally felt more comfortable having IV fluids (I was so dehydrated), IV pain meds and nurses to help if needed. For the first five days post-op I was taking a pain killer just before I went to bed (for me, sleeping and sitting up in the morning are the most painful parts...and even they are not too bad). Last night I didnt take any meds before bed and I was fine. The most irritated part is the incision where the port is. That is the only place that I have discomfort. And its not the incision itself, its the port pulling on my fascia when I move in a particular way. I'm looking forward to that going away.

As far as going back to work, I really didn't schedule anything until July 3rd. However, I know many people go back a week later. I think it just depends on your situation and how you feel.

Hope this was helpful and good luck!

well thanks for that.

im goin in on monday and i ask the same quesions every day.

I wonder too if il stay overnight however the doc said it will most prob be an outpatient for me. but it says on those information bookelts you leave the next day. i guess it all depends and nothign i can plan.

Im happy to hear your pain was not so bad. i wasnt that worried as long as they give you tonsss of pain meds?

hows your hunger though.. i know your a week out do you feel hungry on the liquid phaze?

im on liquids now and i cant imagine another 2 weeks of this.. but hey to get to the prize right.

thanks for your post.,

Paula

My doc...it was totally to shrink the liver. Period. He wasn't really worried about "jump start the weight loss" because post op he feels is for healing, and many of his patients don't even really start to lose until 6 months out. See, they ARE all different! Mine was 3 weeks long but that is longer than usual; I was very obese and had a very large (not diseased thank God but I'm sure it would've been eventually) liver. Many of his patients have 2 weeks.

I personally wouldn't do one unless your doc requires it, but then honestly I don't think a person can "get used" to torture, you just bear it. Going without food isn't something I think we ever really adapt to. Just my opinion. For example if i were, a la Paris Hilton, going to have to go to jail for a week, I wouldn't practice never leaving the house to get ready for it! LOL

However, we all get to tweak it whatever way works for us!

Thanks for the info everyone!

RestlessMonkey....that was hilarious about the Paris Hilton thing.....so true! LOL. :bored:

I'm starting to realize that this might not be as quick of a process as I am thinking. I was hoping to get banded before August. Oh well, hopefully I can work things out to have it done when it is time.