Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who got banded and had small kids to take care of?

Hopefully I will get banded in October but my baby will be 11 months and I worry about how I will get around after surgery. My husband can only take off a day or two of work so I want to be prepared. We are not telling anyone about the surgery so I don't want to ask for help if I don't have too. What were your experiences with small kids after surgery? I have four kids all under 8 :biggrin: Thanks!

My daughter was about four months shy of three when I got banded, I didnt have undue problems. DH went back to work on the monday (I got done on a Friday) and by then I was pretty right. I didnt lift her for a few weeks and she had a couple of spaz attacks at that, typical tantrum stuff, but basically she knew I had a sore tummy and wasnt going to lift her up. She just had a shower with me in the morning, she wasnt quite toilet trained but we took care of nappies on the floor - and I switched to disposables at that time, having been a dedicated cloth user, lol, and she was in a bed, not a cot, so she got in and out by herself. For cuddles she just got on my lap on the couch, she did hurt me a time or two by squirming but nothing too bad. The boys were 8 and 10, so they were able to help me out a bit.

The only thing was I didnt get to have any real rest or a sleep in the afternoon or anything during that week of recovery, but, sigh, how is that different to motherhood at any other time? I've had the flu all week and have had to soldier on, DH is now coming down with it and you'd think you'd have to dial 911 MAN COLD.

I just had to watch about 1500000 dora the explorer DVD's for some peace.

Edited by Jachut

You most likely be restricted with lifting for at least one or two weeks. You really do not want to break this rule as you can cause issues with your surgery sites and port sites. If you can, ask for help, and tell them why. The explination and discussion you will have regarding the band will go a long way vs being back in the hospital for issues related to lifting. Little ones can kick, squirm, etc. and you sites will be very sore for a week or so.

I was banded last Monday, so 5 days ago. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. My mother took two weeks off of work to be with me during the day, when hubby is not home. I am so thankful! My surgeon said no lifting over 10 lbs. for 2 weeks. 5 days post-op and I am just now starting to feel better . . . soreness wise! I still can't bend down without some real discomfort. You will definately want help! Good luck to you!

My twins were 1 year and 11 months old when I had surgery. I would recommend you be over prepared than under. It is extremely hard to predict how you will react to the surgery- you may be just fine but you may be out of commission for a bit. The lifting of your child is only a small variable-but an important one in your case as your child will still be pretty dependent- maybe walking but maybe noth by then. I was really exhausted and felt pretty ill for almost a week. I hired a babysitter that I did not explain anything more than that I had surgery. I paid her less than I normally would as I was always home and did help out a little. I would have someone lined up to help. I would mentally walk through a day and visualize how often you pick up your child and how you change diapers and feed and get him/her into her crib and try and figure out how you are going to accomplish each task if you can't lift and if you don't feel well. Good luck.

I have a 4.5yr old and an almost 2 yr old ....I only had my hubby home for a few days aswell but I managed just fine :biggrin: I think you'll be ok! :(

Hopefully I will get banded in October but my baby will be 11 months and I worry about how I will get around after surgery. My husband can only take off a day or two of work so I want to be prepared. We are not telling anyone about the surgery so I don't want to ask for help if I don't have too. What were your experiences with small kids after surgery? I have four kids all under 8 :) Thanks!

Make sure and ask your doctor about lifting limits my was nothing over 15# for 4 weeks.

my son was 2 months away from turning 3 when I had mine done. My surgery was on a tuesday morning and I went back to work thursday afternoon. He sensed something was wrong, and just knew not to jump on mommy. It was a fairly easy surgery. Compared to a c-section it was a walk in the park!