Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to satisfy a sweet tooth?

I've had a killer sweet tooth lately! I've been trying to satisfy it with vanilla yogurt and sugar-free popsicles, but sometimes they are just not enough. :confused:

How do you guys tackle having a sweet tooth?

Definitely sugar free fudgeicles.

be careful with sugar-free stuff, a lot of times they have sugar substitutes, which are dangerous.

i do believe fudgesicle makes "no sugar added" ones, which might not have sugar substitutes, but i'm not sure.

can you just have a treat every once in a while, or would that be a slippery slope?

i find a lot of natural things that i love as sweet Snacks. right now is peach season - i just bought a huge bag at 79¢/lb. beware, sometimes the skin is hard for banders to get past... but you can peel it off... hm, what else? have you tried different flavors of tea? adagio.com is a great site for tea. i also like stash tea. adagio customers are able to send $5 gift certificate referrals, so if you wanted to try, i could send you one. not sure how fulfilling it would be, but i love me some tea!

what about making popsicles out of stuff? my mom makes iced coffee popsicles. and they're sort of creamy, because of the milk...

Just try something w/sugar? Unless like the above poster said, you don't know if you'll be able to stop.

I took the risk of trying a bit of candy about a week ago. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to stop, but I had one piece and the craving was gone and I was good to go.

Now I'm not dumb enough to keep junkfood in my house anymore. That'd just... be doom for me. But sometimes at work people will bring in those mini-candy bars for everyone and I will have one of those (the bite-size things) and bam I'm good to go.

Before the band I couldn't stop myself from eating. Literally I would go until I felt physically sick. That's not the case for me anymore. I know when to stop and if I don't, my band sure lets me know. I can have a treat every once and a while and not freak out about it and it's nice!

I've also found that now that I'm limiting my bread/pasta intake, my sweet tooth has gone wayyyy down. I still have bread and Pasta but it is not with every meal and not the main part of my meal.

fruit too. Good time of year for it!

I tried the sugar free/fake sweetener treats and such when I was pre-op and I couldn't handle it. It gave me headaches and didn't really satisfy anything. I'd rather have a little bit of natural sugar than the artificial (now that I can stop myself from downing it all).

yeah - they give people in my family headaches - they're really SO bad for you, sugar substitutes... i don't know if they have any data on splenda or stevia yet, but i know others like aspartame and oh man, there are so many sugar substitutes, have caused cancer in lab rats... and I don't know if it's ever been proven, but people too I'm sure.

and i can't remember if it is subs or things like corn Syrup, which are sugars turned into other crap -- i think it's the corn syrup and the like, it tricks your body and your body doesn't know how to process it...

though i'm sure a lot of people on this board have diabetes... i was right on the cusp of it before my surgery... so obviously sugar is out of the question in that case.

For me it depends. If I am craving sweets I get a bowl of fruit and that satisfies me. But if I want ice cream I eat weight watchers ice cream bars. They are awesome. I don't really crave chocolate anymore. I used to crave it almost every day.

I have not lost my love for chocolate so for me it's one hershey kiss right before bed!

instead of fake WW ice cream, why not make home made sorbet? or gelato, which is made with milk, not creme?

jujuvee - you sound super restrained if you can do one kiss! wow! though i don't really think hershey's is chocolate. try some real chocolate, lots of other countries make better chocolate ,and especially with higher % cocoa, you get less fat and sugar.... i do have a weak spot for hershey's, but i would call them candy.< /p>

I agree that you should limit most artificial sweeteners, potentially nasty stuff in excess.

Sucralose (Slenda) seems to be OK because it actually is sugar, except one of the angles in the molecule is such that your body can't absorb it. Stevia is a natural plant extract but it has a distinct flavor so try it and see if it works for you.

Splenda fudgicles are good but it's hard not to eat too much. My go-to for sweets is about a cup of Fage 0% fat greek yogurt flavored with about a teaspoon of local honey, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla. Filling and delicious for around 150 calories, along with around 15g of Protein.

I am bad and evil, but last night I had a terrible craving for a strawberry sundae. I had DH drive me to dairy queen and had one. He is such a sweet guy. I didn't feel too bad about it. It was the first real treat I have had since banding on May 15. Maybe as long as the treats are few and far between it will be ok. I could keep sf ice cream and strawberries in the house, but I don't want a treat to be so readily available. Right now I am drinking a chocolate Protein Drink with crushed ice. It is not bad as long as I don't have a whiff of it. I love SF chocolate candy, but don't keep it due to it causes diarrhea.

Honestly I've tried the light chocolate milk. It's got less fat, less sugar, more Protein but it also has more sodium so that kinda sucks. I love chocolate milk - I've always had an addiction to it so at least now I can still have it (not all the time) and have the light stuff =)

I'm a complete chocolate whore but the chocolate Protein Shakes make me want to gag. So for a quick treat, I go to Wendy's and have a Jr. Chocolate frosty and have half of it. The Jr. size is super small so I'm feeling no guilt.