Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BKNY30 - you sound like you have alot of questions and are very anxious about your decision to have the surgery. If your insurance paid for your surgery I'm sure you had to go thru quite an ordeal to even get approved. So don't even think about not following thru with allowing the band to work for you. I've been banded about 2 months now with 3 fills to date and have never had a PB or "sliming" (your mouth seems to create alot of saliva fast that you don't want to swallow).

There is alot of great information on this site from fellow bandsters, some veterans, and many who are a "work in progress". View this as a journey...where at the end of the journey the possibilities are, well, endless.

Myself, when I wasn't on some crazy diet or another, I was a potato chip/chip dip and pizza girl. Most of what I ate was junk. You know that saying "you are what you eat?" Well, to some degree, that is true. For others, heredity can be a b*tch.

You are at a stage that is the absolute hardest part of the program...the pre- and post-op diet. Just remember to drink lots of fluids, eat slowing, chew well, and eat your Proteins. Stop eating when you no longer feel hungry and do what the doc tells you to as far as your post-op diet.

You will need to be committed to having a band. You can and will have alot of success with the lap band if you follow the guidelines. You will feel better, look better and hopefully live longer because of the choice you made. Be proud of that. It's work, no doubt about it. But the payoff will be priceless! I wish you the very best! :thumbdown:

emjay, thank you for your advice. I have been feeling terrified and and just worried that I made the wrong decision. I am hoping that once I get past the 4 weeks of pureed/smushies that this fear and anxiety will go away. I also have this huge fear of now having this band permanently in my body, which I should of thought about before. But I really didn't think I would feel this way after the surgery.

I don't have any saline in my band right now, but I can tell I'm not eating as much as I used to, and that I get full more quickly than I used to.

I haven't gained any weight in the last week (thank goodness!), but I also haven't lost that much weight either.

A question just occurred to me though - are you able to gain weight during bandster hell?

Oh my, that doesn't sound very fun! Is it painful? Or you jsut basically throw your food up and then feel fine afterwards? I'm not looking forward to that

Sorry for the delay in a response, didn't see this until now! It wasn't painful for me. Well at first, when it felt stuck it felt like I couldn't breathe. But then it came right up and then I felt fine. Go figure!:thumbdown:

I don't have any saline in my band right now, but I can tell I'm not eating as much as I used to, and that I get full more quickly than I used to.

I haven't gained any weight in the last week (thank goodness!), but I also haven't lost that much weight either.

A question just occurred to me though - are you able to gain weight during bandster hell?

lindsay, I have heard some people on here say they've gained during bandster hell, but that the next week or 2 it came off again. I stayed the same last week, but lost 2 pounds this week. I'm afraid to weigh myself Monday morning because I fear another stay the same or gain because I also am getting ready for "that time of the month" :thumbdown: YIKES! But I guess we just have to keep in mind that if we do gain during this time it won't be long before we take it off again!

Sorry for the delay in a response, didn't see this until now! It wasn't painful for me. Well at first, when it felt stuck it felt like I couldn't breathe. But then it came right up and then I felt fine. Go figure!:confused:

I really hope that doesn't happen to me. I'm already a nervous wreck. All I need is to feel like I can't breathe!!! So i'm gonna keep in mind to chew alot and slowly

I really hope that doesn't happen to me. I'm already a nervous wreck. All I need is to feel like I can't breathe!!! So i'm gonna keep in mind to chew alot and slowly

Don't stress about it! You'll be fine. if it does happen to you for one reason or another, it'll be over very quickly. But yes, remember to chow alot and don't take too big of a bite. You'll be fine. Remember, you can do this! And we're all in this together! :confused:

Don't stress about it! You'll be fine. if it does happen to you for one reason or another, it'll be over very quickly. But yes, remember to chow alot and don't take too big of a bite. You'll be fine. Remember, you can do this! And we're all in this together! :confused:

I have been on this website pretty much all day! I didn't get any work done! But everyone has been so helpful and really calmed me down alittle. So i'm gonna jsut hang in there and take it day by day. I'm sure I will check back over the weekend. By the way my name Lisa. It was so was nice meeting you and thank so much for all of your advice

It seems like most of the people on this thread are newbies, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth as a veteran. I was banded 3/25/08 (seems like only yesterday). I am a little older (64) and don't remember feeling quite as down as was being discussed here. I had to do a 6 month diet for insurance so I spent that time here, on obesity help.com (got their magazine, OH, too--good articles), read the Lapband Solution and the Lapband Companion (got them on amazon.com), and started going to group support. I learned so much I almost felt I could do the surgery on myself! I definitely recommend the group support. You meet people at all stages of pre and post-op, and you will be surprised at how many issues you will all share.

As for the mushy stage, I could have creamy egg salad, creamy tuna (light mayo), and I love refried Beans, so I bought the fat free Old El Paso, put in a dessert dish (think small), pulverized some chunky salsa in the blender and stirred it into the beans. Nuke that in the microwave for about 2 minutes, then while it is still hot throw on some shredded fat free Kraft chees, either mozarella or cheddar. Yum! I did instant mashed potatoes with fat free chicken or turkey gravy, applesauce, yogurt, much the same as was mentioned.

Lately I have been trying to minimize fat, salt and sugar, and found a way to do that with yogurt. Commercial fat free yogurts have quite a bit of sugar in them. If you have a Trader Joe near you, they sell under their brand, a Greek style yogurt (full fat, light, and fat free) that has 22g proteim per cup! They have another that is lower in Protein and higher in sugar, so if you go to look, pick the container with shades of blue only. I bought the fat free (it has 22g protein, 0 fat, and 6g milk sugar or lactose). It comes in a 2 cup container, and once home I divide it into 4 half cup containers, and for flavor I stir in Smuckers sugar free preserves and marmalades. I throw in a teaspoon or so of ground cinnamon too. It is really good. I have flavors like Cinnamon Orange Marmalade, or Cinnamon strawberry, stuff like that. A great way to bump up your protein. Each half cup will have 11g protein and only 3g sugar. Try to find a commercial yogurt even close!

I have found I have to be careful with bread as it gets chewy and can get stuck. I rarely eat bread (usually as fat free croutons on my chicken caesar salad--they crumble and don't get chewy). I dreamed up a crustless pizza (I used to consume and entire 12 inch for a meal)--microwavable dish, Ragu Homestyle Sauce (1/3-1/2 jar), cover with Hormel Turkey Pepperoni (70% less fat), cover with Birdseye Pepper Stir-Fry (pepper and onion chunks, nothing else), and top with Kraft Fat Free Shredded Mozarella or Cheddar--nuke for about 2 1/2 minutes on high to melt cheese and warm the rest.

As for exercise, I think it was BKNY who was preparing to hit the gym less than two weeks after surgery. I was told no weights or resistance training for 6 weeks post-op. I would check with the surgeon before hitting the gym. Walking is my primary exercise and I do it almost daily, with occasional stops at Curves, or the rec center gym.

Think of the band as a tool. Its job is to curtail portion sizes. It is still your job to make healthy choices. Think in terms of "is it healthy" more than "can I get it down" and you will do fine. Use all the resources available. Also check out the Allergan web site (if that is the brand you have--I have the AP). They are offering discounts to Curves for new members, and some other stuff.

Good luck on your journey, and hang in there.

First of all, I would like to say... "I LOVE THIS SITE!" I was banded on June 8 and have been avidly reading this site since the end of March when I decided to make the commitment to a healthier me. My journey from beginning to banding was very short b/c I paid for the procedure out of my own pocket. I knew from reading on this site about "Bandster Hell," emotional issues to expect, and many of the physical side effects. I thought that I was totally prepared to face the challenge. WOW! It has been like a slap in the face. I have been through a wide range of emotions (nervous, scared, excited, proud, confused, etc.). I have also been truly mourning my loss of food and my old eating habits. I didn't realize how much food ruled my life. It does seem to be getting better each day though. I have a great support system in place. In fact, my best friend is being banded on June 29 and my mother is having a gastric bypass done in the Fall. We are the three amigos! I also keep reminding myself that the 31lbs. I've lost since the middle of April would not have happened w/o my pre/post diet and band. It has made me focus so much more on myself and what I need and what unhealthy choices I have made for most of my life.

PS~I am soooooo craving dill pickles! Do you think it would be a bad idea? I'm allowed to start introducing more than full liquid/soft foods into my diet tomorrow.

I have been on this website pretty much all day! I didn't get any work done! But everyone has been so helpful and really calmed me down alittle. So i'm gonna jsut hang in there and take it day by day. I'm sure I will check back over the weekend. By the way my name Lisa. It was so was nice meeting you and thank so much for all of your advice

Hi Lisa! I'm so sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, but I don't really have internet access over the weekend. How did your weekend go for you? Any easier? Oh, and my name is Carrie!:)

I was extremely depressed the first weeks. I thought I ruined my life, I was miserable. Then the weight loss started and I lost my yearnings for my favorite restaurants. I am doing great now. But the first two weeks were difficult. Stick with it, it actually gets better

Hi Lisa! I'm so sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, but I don't really have internet access over the weekend. How did your weekend go for you? Any easier? Oh, and my name is Carrie!:bored:

Hi Carrie! I have to tell you my weekend was horrible. I hope I overcome this. I have been following the diet, walking and using the eliptical machines in the gym. But mentally I am a mess. I cried all weekend. I mean hysterical. I have been haivng panic attacks where I feel like I am going crazy. I can't sleep thru the night. I go to sleep then 2 hours later I jump up from my sleep in a panic. Heart racing, thoughts racing thru my head and I can't stop them. And I can't calm myself down. I have never in my life felt this way and it's so scary. Today only makes a week and a day. I hope this goes away cause i'm miserable. I was so scared I called my surgeon yesterday he said that medically i'm fine and maybe I should speak to someone. I spoke to the nutritionist and she said my body is detoxing right now becasue i'm so used to my old high carb diet. But I just don't know. I hope this goes away. I mean I tell myself, you did a good thing, you are gonna be healthy for once, you're gonna look good, have more energy and you can even have the band removed when you want if need be. I already called my insurance company to see if they cover it. that's how scared i am. I even weighed myself yesterday and I went from 277 to 260 so you would have thought that would have brightened up my day but still last night I woke up in a panic. I just don't know.

On a brighter note how was your weekend?

I was extremely depressed the first weeks. I thought I ruined my life, I was miserable. Then the weight loss started and I lost my yearnings for my favorite restaurants. I am doing great now. But the first two weeks were difficult. Stick with it, it actually gets better

Hi John, thanks for the advice. When did you get your band? I'm trying to hang in there. If it wasn't for the panic i'm experiencing I would be ok.

Hi Carrie! I have to tell you my weekend was horrible. I hope I overcome this. I have been following the diet, walking and using the eliptical machines in the gym. But mentally I am a mess. I cried all weekend. I mean hysterical. I have been haivng panic attacks where I feel like I am going crazy. I can't sleep thru the night. I go to sleep then 2 hours later I jump up from my sleep in a panic. Heart racing, thoughts racing thru my head and I can't stop them. And I can't calm myself down. I have never in my life felt this way and it's so scary. Today only makes a week and a day. I hope this goes away cause i'm miserable. I was so scared I called my surgeon yesterday he said that medically i'm fine and maybe I should speak to someone. I spoke to the nutritionist and she said my body is detoxing right now becasue i'm so used to my old high carb diet. But I just don't know. I hope this goes away. I mean I tell myself, you did a good thing, you are gonna be healthy for once, you're gonna look good, have more energy and you can even have the band removed when you want if need be. I already called my insurance company to see if they cover it. that's how scared i am. I even weighed myself yesterday and I went from 277 to 260 so you would have thought that would have brightened up my day but still last night I woke up in a panic. I just don't know.

On a brighter note how was your weekend?

Lisa, do you have a therapist you can call? If not, maybe try the one who did your psych eval for your surgery? Sounds like you are going through a really rough time. I wish there was something I could say to make it better or easier for you other than I know that it will go away. But having panic attacks like that sounds pretty serious. You may benefit from talking to someone who will have some good advice. I'm really sorry you are going through this. It should be a good time for you, not one that brings on anxiety. I feel really bad for you. If you need to talk about anything, let me know. WOW, 16 pounds in a week??!?!?!?!?! That's unheard of! And I was excited about my 2 pounds this week, lol. My weekend was fine, pretty boring, but nice. LIke I said, just remember it will pass, but if you think it's getting to be too much to handle, call someone! I hate to see anyone go through this.

Lisa, do you have a therapist you can call? If not, maybe try the one who did your psych eval for your surgery? Sounds like you are going through a really rough time. I wish there was something I could say to make it better or easier for you other than I know that it will go away. But having panic attacks like that sounds pretty serious. You may benefit from talking to someone who will have some good advice. I'm really sorry you are going through this. It should be a good time for you, not one that brings on anxiety. I feel really bad for you. If you need to talk about anything, let me know. WOW, 16 pounds in a week??!?!?!?!?! That's unheard of! And I was excited about my 2 pounds this week, lol. My weekend was fine, pretty boring, but nice. LIke I said, just remember it will pass, but if you think it's getting to be too much to handle, call someone! I hate to see anyone go through this.

Hey Carrie, I haven't been on much because with the way I was feeling I didn't even want to think about Lap Band. But in the past 2 days I have been feeling better. I haven't been having any panic attacks and I actually got some sleep. I had my first post op visit today and in 10 days i'm down exactly 20 pounds so I went from 277 to 257! That's exciting atleast. How have you been