Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow is my One year Bandanniversary

So tomorrow 6/3 is my 1st year from being banded and I've lost so far 98-99 lbs... I've been stuck since Jan with being unmotivated and self-sabotaging myself for some unknown crazy reason! (Well I kind of know why...)

I recently have found some motivation and started exercising again, I need to finish getting this last 50-60 lbs off..

I was wondering how everyone else has done so far, especially at their year mark...

How do you all resist eating junk food? I guess I am just still scared of letting go and becoming skinny... I've never been skinny and it’s still hard to think that way…

Thanks!

Edited by Amethystjade

ok first of all -- BRAVO!!! 100 pounds in a year! that is so incredible and inspiring, ESPECIALLY because you said you did all that in the first half of the year and have been able to successfully maintain that weightloss for the past few months. so a huge round of applause to you girl, seriously!

im gonna respond to the post you wrote on my visitor wall in this message board because you asked for my advice and i feel like i have to explain myself a lot more than this website will allow to fit in a visitor message! :wub:

wrapping my head around being "skinny" is really hard, and im sure it is realllllly hard for you too, at least that is what i gather from what we have talked about in the past. one of my first memories of clothing sizes was in 5th grade wearing a size 12 (of course i worked my way up to a size 20 by the time i was banded). well the first few months i dropped weight consistently, and can say i had it down to a science because every day i have been writing down everything i eat in my online calorie counter. i bought my first pair of size 12 pants at the end of march.. but in the 2 months since then i did not really lose any more weight. i was overstressed and that had an effect on my band of course-- like everything does-- and at the beginning of may i had my band completely unfilled after my doctor was worried my stress had caused a slip (i could not get any food and eventually any liquid down). a week later i had an upper GI (had to swallow the barium liquid so they can look at me through an x-ray), and my body had already healed itself. this i could have told the doctor anyways-- because i DEFINITELY am hungryyy! but that is great news because it means i can slowly put Fluid back in my band.

but unlike a year ago, when i would have felt hungry and gone out to eat a 4th or 5th or 6th meal at some fast food place, something has finally clicked in my head. i am so thankful for my band (JUST LIKE YOU OBVIOUSLY SHOULD BE!) because without it, this plateau would not have happened--- we both know i would have gained the weight back, then been depressed about gaining weight after all that hard work and eventually gain MORE weight. thankfully, with my band, i know i cant let myself down. this is why i have continued to write down everything i eat, even when i know i am going waaaay over the calories alotted for me for the day. i know sometimes i make poor food choices or say i shouldnt have eaten that or drank that... but because i am aware of what i am putting in my body, i know exactly what i have to do to lose the weight i want in the time i want to do it in.

we are also in the same boat exercise-wise -- i have also found my motivation again! a few weeks ago is actually when i will say i started up. we both know how much i was exercising back in november-february, but school work made my life too busy, especially because i wanted to hang out with friends in my free time. but like i said-- i guess something clicked in my brain. i want to be healthy and fit and active more than anything, and while this band will certainly put me in the right direction, nothing and no one aside from me will get me to my goals. even when i dont have time for it, i HAVE to make the time for it. it takes a half hour to get in a solid workout, thats all. and then an hour to quickly shower and dry off/cool off, which i can do while watching tv or doing homework anyways.

the hospital i went through assesses your physical fitness with a personal trainer in their physical therapy center before surgery, and when i first met him back in november, we became pretty good friends. i can obviously exercise without his help, but i called him and decided to "hire" him as my personal trainer for the summer (he hooked me up with a sweet discount because he knows im self-motivated so i wont be a tough client for him). i am so excited to work with him and get off this final weight. it is great to have someone else excited for me to lose weight and get fit too, and who cares about my well-being so that i won't injure myself doing so. i already feel so strong and powerful, and i have always loved that euphoric feeling that comes with exercise. i worked out really hard this morning and a few hours later i was still a little red even after a shower, but i saw an old mentor who was just gushing "jane-- you are absolutely GLOWING! you are so skinny now too! are you in LOVE or something? is there a BOY in your life?!?!" hahaha wellllllll that is certainly not the case, but its good to hear that my after-exercise redness makes me look like i am GLOWING and in love! ha

i really want to give you solid advice-- like "do this" or take this magic pill and suddenly you will find the motivation in yourself to eat better and exercise on a lazy sunday. i want you to let go of your fears and let yourself get skinnier and healthier like you DESERVE to be. but obviously, i cant do that. all i can do is offer support and motivation like you do for me. and it sounds like something has finally clicked in your head too. year one is done and you have proven you were a successful bandster, and now it is time for year two-- the year for you to REACH YOUR GOAL and be healthy and happy and MAINTAIN IT! i have absolute faith that you will be there by next summer.

alright. ive written a lot here, haha. but i hope this is all stuff you wanted to hear, and i hope that this summer we both accomplish our short-term goals! the past two weeks i have turned my plateau around and am losing again, finally. my size 12 express jeans are getting too big now, would you believe that? im smaller than the ten-year-old me!!!

Edited by janesays