Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Surgery Emergency for Mexico Sleeve

So what do you do if you get home and start experiencing problems? I haven't been to my primary care doctor since I scheduled my surgery but I did call and leave a message with him that I was having it done (just not where). If I am supposed to rely on my primary care doctor for follow-up issues I might have to change doctors.

I don't know anything about your surgeon. One of the reasons I went to Dr. Aceves is because he does 3 leak tests and keeps you in the hospital for 4 days (3 nights). I'm an RN and did not want to travel to Mexico and run the risk of having to go back so I needed a surgeon who met MY qualifications.

The first leak test is done in the OR, the second is done the first post-op day. You drink apple juice with blue dye. The last test is done 2 days post-op and requires you to drink contrast while having an x-ray.

When I left, I knew the sleeve was fine and that all I had to do was follow the post-op diet and I would be fine. I had surgery nearly 2 months ago and I'm fine. Ask your surgeon how many leak tests he does and how long he keeps you in the hospital. You should also find out if he charges if you have to go back. Dr. Aceves does not.

I'm not concerned about immediately after the surgery or even a few days. My concern is a couple of weeks after when you think you are healed and you tend to over do it. I can see me doing something stupid like that. Only because it is summer and my husband likes to go a lot. Especially on the motorcycle. I guess I'll have to use my good sense and let him go without me for the first month or so :smile: Bummer!

I'm not concerned about immediately after the surgery or even a few days. My concern is a couple of weeks after when you think you are healed and you tend to over do it. I can see me doing something stupid like that. Only because it is summer and my husband likes to go a lot. Especially on the motorcycle. I guess I'll have to use my good sense and let him go without me for the first month or so :smile: Bummer!

The greatest danger you have is not following the post-op diet. Hopefully, your surgeon oversews the staple line. Most people heal in 3 weeks but develop scar tissue by 6 weeks. That's the reason most MDs use the 6 week rule to designate healing. I was advised not to do any heavy lifting (>15 pounds) for 4 weeks.

Follow the post-op diet and the other post-op instructions and you'll be fine. If you're serious about "doing something stupid" because it's the summer, you should rethink the surgery date and put it off until the summer is over.

So what do you do if you get home and start experiencing problems? I haven't been to my primary care doctor since I scheduled my surgery but I did call and leave a message with him that I was having it done (just not where). If I am supposed to rely on my primary care doctor for follow-up issues I might have to change doctors.

Well, there is always the ER.

Most of the stuff that happens to us is something any PCP or ER can treat. Even the surgery-related stuff is stuff that people with other surgery types get so any hospital with a bariatric program will know what to do.

For example:

-blood clots - can happen any time to anyone. The ER should know what to do and your PCP should know the signs and to send you there if you have one

-leaks - can happen from any stomach surgery. Again, the PCP should know the signs and the ER should know what to do

-strictures - can happen from any stomach surgery, but probably a hospital with a bariatric program would have more experience with this

I had my surgery locally, with full knowledge and participation of my PCP, but when I had a problem, I was at work and not near my PCP or any hospital my surgeon practices at. So I went to an ER where I knew the hospital had a bariatric program. It helped because, even though they weren't very experienced with sleeves, they understood about blood clots, leaks, etc.

Most of the stuff that happens to us is something any PCP or ER can treat. Even the surgery-related stuff is stuff that people with other surgery types get so any hospital with a bariatric program will know what to do.

For example:

-blood clots - can happen any time to anyone. The ER should know what to do and your PCP should know the signs and to send you there if you have one

-leaks - can happen from any stomach surgery. Again, the PCP should know the signs and the ER should know what to do

-strictures - can happen from any stomach surgery, but probably a hospital with a bariatric program would have more experience with this

I had my surgery locally, with full knowledge and participation of my PCP, but when I had a problem, I was at work and not near my PCP or any hospital my surgeon practices at. So I went to an ER where I knew the hospital had a bariatric program. It helped because, even though they weren't very experienced with sleeves, they understood about blood clots, leaks, etc.

Thank you. This information and the information I just received from Judy (Dr. Zapata's rep) make me feel much more comfortable. Also, my ob/gyn and my pulmonologist are onboard with this surgery so if my pcp refuses to support me (and I don't know yet that he isn't) I, at least, have them for support.

"Only because it is summer and my husband likes to go a lot. Especially on the motorcycle. I guess I'll have to use my good sense and let him go without me for the first month or so :) Bummer!"

Hmmm...I did not think about bikes being a nono...I ride with a group called the Patriot Guard...I am going to have to ask how long I need to be off a bike! I guess I will be caging it for a while! :-(

Thank you. This information and the information I just received from Judy (Dr. Zapata's rep) make me feel much more comfortable. Also, my ob/gyn and my pulmonologist are onboard with this surgery so if my pcp refuses to support me (and I don't know yet that he isn't) I, at least, have them for support.

I don't see why your PCP should have an issue with it -- it's not like he does them - right? My PCP was very supportive when I told him what I was having done and where ... he said he'd be happy to monitor my progress and would be very interested to learn more about the procedure, as he did not know much about the VSG. It shouldn't matter to your PCP where you had the surgery done ... he's still going to get your and your insurance $$$ if he treats you.

I don't currently have a PCP, mine stopped practice to stay home with her kids. I suppose I should get one, but I rarely go to the doctor. Should I expect to go more now? I kinda figured the sleeve has very low complications so it would not be a big deal if I waiting on finding another PCP.