Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do you start to feel normal?

Hi there, Six days post-op now and wanting to know when the pain goes away and it doesn't feel so tight inside of you. It still feels like my abdomen doesnt have the space to accomodate the port and band...like parts of me inside are being squeezed. It hurts when I sit up. I want to start feeling normal again already! :lol:

dont worry, all of us have been through it and you will too. It takes about 10 days until you start feeling like yourself again. Hang in there

Hang in there it will settle. I am 2 weeks post op today and I would say I started to feel normal again around the 11 day mark. Everyone is different my husband is 3 weeks post op today and he felt great by the 3 day post op. You can't pick it, but it will happen. Stay strong and good luck to you...:lol:

Did you guys have the gastric band? As i felt normal after day 5 on my band(TAGB). I think it maybe that because my first restriction is not done until week3 that its easier as its totally open still.

I am back at work after 5 days and have flown twice since banding with no issues. I have my hunger back but am sticking to the defined diet my doc advised me on.

I think depending on how the doc decides to restrict and how much restriction you get depends how fast your recovery is. Having spoke to many banders they are quite shocked how well i have been and the only factor here seems to be that i dont get any restriction till week3, ie once the stomach has recovered along with the rest of your body.

Basically your recovery is very dependent on you. Get up and walk as much as you feel happy with. Drink as you feel comfortable. Walking for me i think coupled with no restriction till week3 has saved my recovery so much.

P.S most of the TAGB banders i have spoke to have recovered very quickly after the OP also.

Edited by WilliamK

We certainly did have the gastric banding....Well that's what we were in for LOL. Here ( in WA,Australia) we don't have our fill until the 4th to 6th week after the op ( that is with Dr Watson). I think it certainly comes down to everyone individually. My husband was exercising like a crazed man by the third day after his op. Not that I recommend that but he felt well enough to do it and good on him I say. I myself had a longer recovery 11 days was for me, where I felt well enough to do much more. We all heal so much differently and we should allow our body's to do so in it's own time.

I think it's great for those who do feel better so much quicker but for some of us well we need to be strong and time will heal....

All the best to you.:lol:

Just like the other respones- hang in there! You are in for a great ride. I am a person always up and on the go. To be down bummed me out. You will be down for a bit more- relax- take it easy. You will be up again soon and it will seem like nothing. Hang in there!!!! Good lick with your journey!!!

We certainly did have the gastric banding....Well that's what we were in for LOL.:lol:

lol YEH SORRY - ment to say, was it the standard band or the telemetric band? Its just that it seems to me that if you get a restriction straight off the mark you will take longer to recoever thats all.

At the end of the day you do it in your own time, there is no rush

I think it is the norm not to get a fill until at least 4 weeks post op. I have been walking (I have a dog) but the pain seems to be related to the port site. Can't wait for that to go away! Thanks for all your replies

WilliamK, the telemetric (or EasyBand) is not available in the United States. I think I've seen two other posts where someone had gotten the EasyBand. Both in England. Since Allergan has bought the company that manufactures the EasyBand I believe the push will be on to have it approved here in the States but it takes time.