Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Subclinical Hypothyroidism

Well...my whole pre-op has gone so smoothly I guess something just had to go wrong... My surgeons office called me and told me my TSH levels were elevated just a tiny bit 4.888 and the highest it sould be they said was 4.685 and that if the insurance saw that they would deny me b/c thyroid and weight problems go together. So they wanted me to see my PCM, damn military doctors are so freakin hard to get an appt with, so I finally got an appt and saw my dr. He told me I have subclinical hypothyroidism, which means that my thyroid cant make up its mind whether or not it wants to work or "poop out." So he put me on a low dose of synthroid and said he would order some blood work in about 2 weeks and see where my levels are then. Im just hoping this works! Anyone else have a problem like this?

The normal range for TSH is typically 0.850-5.48. If u were a patient at my office I wouldn't give you any medication. I would retest you in a couple of weeks, but without meds. Did you fast for the TSH test?

My sister is hypothyroid and I shared a whole lot of the same symptoms - the dry fragile hair, dry skin, and at times of my life, extreme tiredness.

The thing is her condition killed her appetite and she never ate a thing, she was skinny as skinny all her life and since being diagnosed and treated, she's normal weight. Me thinking it was the answer to 30 extra kilos was wishful thinking.

As my paternal grandmother and HER grandmother and daughter were/are hypothyroid too, I was tested, ever so slightly high TSH levels and I've also done that temperature test and my basal temperature was always low enough to be a concern.

Its never been considered necessary that I be treated though.

But the answer for me was a lapband, diet and exercise. I had not the slightest difficulty losing weight.

I might do the temperature thing again to check. These days my hair is lustrous and thick like it has NEVER been in my life before, I have strong fingernails and am never ever tired. I dont have any menstrual irregularities either, whereas my sister was severely afflicted by endometriosis. I doubt I'd be at all abnormal these days.

See I went through this in 2007, my TSH levels were just a little elevated and my dr. refered me to an endocrinologist (sp?) and the only problem then was that one side of my thyroid was larger than the other, he said just to monitor it every six months, so in Feb of this year when I got the lap band referal my pcm ordered some blood work and everything came back ok, then the bloo work the surgeon ordered in March of this year came back elevated... The dr didnt ask me to fast for the test but I ate Breakfast around 8ish that morning and the test was done about 4 that afternoon

I have thyroid disease and have for over 10 yrs. I usually forget my medicine on the weekends because i keep it in my drawer at work. I just had my checked at it is at 12 so i was asked to make sure i take it each day and they said to have it rechecked in a few weeks. It pissed me off because i have had all test and been cleared so if not for this they would have submitted to ins. Oh well what is a few more weeks i have been fat since age 9 and am now 43 so my day is coming.

I have hypothyroidism and have had for years. You will just want to have it under control before the surgery. It doesn't take long and isn't hard to do with proper medication. I do however, keep my checked more often right now because of my weight loss. The numbers supposedly tend to fluctuate while losing but mine have been very steady so far. I chose not to take synthroid and I take armour thyroid which is a compound instead. It has really worked for me and I love the fact that I do not have the side effects I had when I was on synthroid.