Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is what I'm feeling normal?

I had surgery on the 18th. I was in a lot of pain at the beginning, but I'm definitely feeling better now. Still, there are a few things I'm concerned about.

The first is that I am feeling a strange tightness right around the middle of my chest. Mind you, my port is right around there, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Anyway, it's making it really difficult to take deep breaths - almost painful.

The second is that I am often dizzy. I've always had some issues with getting dizzy easily, but this is different. It's worse after I wake up or stand up, and it's really bothering me.

Any help? :thumbup:

I've read where others mentioned that same pain you refer to. As for dizziness, are you taking in enough Protein? 60 grams is the minimum I was told to take in per day, even when I was on liquids. Adequate protein and adequate hydration are key to your physical well-being.

I had surgery on the 14th and have had similar feelings. I went for my week check up today and he said that the tight chest feeling is from the "troll car" used in surgery being so close to the cartilage of your sternum (if you have the same type of inscisons as I do, I have one right in the middle right under by ribs in the sternal region). I guess being so close to all the cartilage and all the manuvering they have to do durning surgery really anoys that area. Said it should go away in a week, but should get alot better before then. I'm guessing if your port is up there, might make it a little worse. As for dizzy spells, I get those too, did before surgery as well. I think its a dehydration thing, if I drink enough Water i don't feel it, but I can tell when I haven't been drinking enough it creeps in. Oh and I've also heard that if you had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time that its normal for a tight chested sensation as well for awhile.

fakeDIY ... my post op diet was very restricted, only Water and broth for the first week. No Protein, no nothing. If your diet is as strict you might want to call your doc and tell him about the dizziness. In fact, you might want to call and tell him anyway; just run it by them. The pain sounds pretty normal (you did just have surgery there) but keep breathing deeply because it is so good for you!

Good luck!

Thanks you guys! I feel a bit better about it now.

RestlessMonkey - my diet is not very restricted. My doctor already has me eating soft foods like scrambled eggs and Soups, and I've had no problem with it. So I don't think that's what causing my dizziness, but I will call him nonetheless. Thanks!

I also got banded on the 18th and have the same tightness around my torso. Yesterday I got kind of weak feeling because I was walking alot but am still only on broth and juice, so I think it was due to lack of caloric intake. I ended up getting some fudgcicles last night because I had had about all I could take of the broth and Soup and Jello.< /p>

It may also be gas. I am not sure whether or not if you are getting up and walking around. But i notice that when i constantly sit or lay down my upper body gets tight