Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd week post op and GAINING...??????

My two week bandiversary is today and since I've been switched to a regular diet, I have gained several pounds. I could hardly eat the week after surgery and subsequently lost 15 lbs the first week!! I knew I couldn"t keep losing at that rate, but I certainly didn't expect to be gaining. :thumbup:

I really think a lot of it is Fluid. I have always had "puffy" feet and fingers which subsided shortly after surgery. However, this week old Puffalicious is back! I am so discouraged and am having anxiety about going for my three week check next week. They are gonna think I'm eating like a fool which just isn't the case.

Has anyone gained after surgery (pre-fill)?

Yes lots of people do. Many of those who don't, manage to pull that off by just willpower and dieting. You're not alone.

I'm in the same boat! It's been 2 weeks for me now and like you I lost 5kgs (11lbs) in the first week or so....but now that I am eating mushies my weight has been consistent for the past 4days :thumbup:....I'm also a lot hungrier now. I guess we will just need a fill, when the time comes?!

hi,

i feel your pain.

i had my surgery april 20th...on liquids for a week before surgery lost only 5 pounds. came home after surgery and gained 9 pounds. i was ready to hang myself:crying:.

then i lost all that in about a week. (lost 14 pounds totaL) then gained 4 back and this week gained 2.

i do not go for a fill till june 5th. my willpower is pretty good but fading fast. i have been counting calories (about 800 to 1000).

i hope i am not going to regret this. i have told everyone, cause i have a big mouth. lol so everyone is expecting big things.....and i am not coming thru!

i have done jenny craig and weight watchers actually did better on them than this.

oh what to do!

good luck!

yes i am exercising eating my Protein and drinking my water!

You are still healing. I went through the same thing postop and Restless Monkey "talked me down." From weeks 2-6 I gained and lost the same 3-4 pounds. Then I had my first fill and have been losing consistently since then.

I know it is hard to put your head around the fact that it is normal to gain in this period - after all you just had surgery to lose weight!!! Just do your best to watch your portions and eat healthy, exercise, get your Water in, etc. Once you start fills the band will start working and the healthy habits you get into during this period will be going strong to help you lose after your adjustment.

BamBam

Thank you so much for your comments. I am 3.5 weeks post op and I can eat sooo much. Between the pre-op diet and the two weeks of pureed food I lost 12 pounds. Now I am refusing to weigh myself and look forward to my first fill on June 2nd.

Thanks everybody for your comments. I was really getting discouraged.

I had my band the end of March 09....When I went in for my 4 week check up, I gained three pounds, then another two weeks and I lost it, So has of now, I have only lost a lousy 15 pounds and Im going on 9 weeks after surgery, talk about depressing! Im losing hope!

I went in yesterday for my one week post op check. I have to admit I'm pissed at my doctor and my visit was one where I cried like a fool all the way home. He was not happy and with the 6 pounds I had lost in only one week. The total is 10 pounds if you count the week before surgery. I was literally in shock. Here I've been following this liquid only diet and my doc can't even give me a positive shot in the arm. If I could have eaten it would have been the biggest burger I could find a marguerita to go with it. But I went to the slimfast low carb option instead. He grilled me about the type of slimfast shake I was drinking and even asked me if I were using them as Snacks. You could have hit with me with a 2X4 and I would'nt have felt a thing. He continued to ask me was I eating sugar free popscicles and Jello. I think I have opened my frig 5time to check (and yes they are all sugar free). Obviously, I'm not the poster child for the lap band. But what about everyone's body being different. If I had been eating (which I haven't even wanted too) I can take my fair share and eat crow (ha, ha). I'm a big girl and I can take it! However, do not be so wrapped in your title as DR that you forget what your patients are going through. So now I'm ready for him the end of June for my first fill. He will see the #ITCH in me. But then he ends by saying the expectation for weight loss by my appt in June in 5-6 lbs. Please tell me if I am crazy or not! I wouldn't have had the @#&% thing put in if I didn't want a lifetime change and to do what it takes for the process. But it seems this journey could stand some positive assurances along the way!

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!

Feeling Alone and a Failure in Florida:nonod::thumbup::nonod:

I too felt bad that when i went in for my first check up and didnt lose not one pound despite me excercising every day. But I talked to some other lap banders and they told me not to fret.

wow do not feel bad, i had gained after my surgery, but my doctor said, don't worry it will happen.........

of course i feel like you (see post above), but like everyone on here all i can do is try!

good luck it is a journey and it seems a very long one for us!

be sure to keep your measurements as well. Even thought you aren't loosing weight, you could be shedding inches!I take my once per week - and I only get on the scale at the dr. office. If I weighed myself at home I would constantley be fretting about the weight. Why cause yourself the added stress? I'm an emotional eater so for me, the less stress the better!

Dont feel bad one bit! I have had the band since march 27th and have only lost 15 pounds! My doctor and nurse keep reasuring me that it will take time to get the band just right! Im to the point that I would love to say to #@&% with it, but, we cannot give up! Is all we can do is hope for a better tomarrow, and keep moving forward! One good thing is, the slower you lose, the easier it will be to keep it off.....hang in there..things will get better!

Please try not to get discouraged. I know it's easier said than done. I started a blog a while back about how frustrated and angry I was during bandster hell -- after surgery and until my first fill. This is truly the most difficult time because it does rely on willpower since your band is not adjusted. My bariatric nurse told me that another reason besides shrinking the liver for the pre-op liquid diet is to give you a little boost with the weight loss because it will get slow until you hit your sweet spot. If they didn't have you drop some weight beforehand how depressing would it be to only lose a few pounds (or possibly gain) until the band can be filled. I had to wait about 7 weeks for my first fill due to scheduling issues which had my appointment later than I had to be for my first adjustment, and I was very upset because I was hungry and discouraged. Try not to go there mentally because it will get better. I'm not at my sweet spot yet, but I'm a whole lot better since I started getting my fills. My first fill didn't appear to give me any restriction (although I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks). My second fill I am starting to notice that I am full a lot sooner and I think the scale is being more friendly. My suggestion to you is be conscious of what you are eating and how much, don't become too obsessed with the scale because it will "right" itself eventually, and make sure you have your first fill appointment scheduled so that you do not have to wait unnecessarily for your adjustments. In fact, make a few appointments in advance (you can always cancel them if you don't need them). Lastly, try and tell yourself you are not doing anything wrong, this is just the most difficult phase of the journey and you will get through this. Good luck!

I went in yesterday for my one week post op check. I have to admit I'm pissed at my doctor and my visit was one where I cried like a fool all the way home. He was not happy and with the 6 pounds I had lost in only one week. The total is 10 pounds if you count

Too bad you can't fire him. I know I would be tempted to -- and I've had two situations with doctors recently where I wanted to fire them and haven't (no weight loss doctors).

I think we're kinda of stuck with our doctors once we go through the surgery.