Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strength training and muscle mass maintenance post-op

Ok,

I know I'm kind of a minority (so it seems from my reading) in that I've been an athlete in the not so distant past--- AND I want to get back into sports.

I want to know if there are any serious weightlifters around here--- and if so, what have you done to maintain your strength while losing weight?

Currently I can squat in excess of 500lbs (rack, not leg press) and have solid upper body strength as well (though I haven't lifted seriously in a good 6 or 7 years)

I made a major purchase. Protein before and after workouts-- I just really don't want to work my ass off and watch myself get weaker while I do it.

I've considered using clen, or even supplementing with T3, but I'd rather keep this natural and not have to deal with unwanted side effects and risks.

There simply isn't much info on thsi subject out on the web at all-- there are people who became lifting freaks to cut weight and those of us who have been banded--- but I'm having a hard time finding people who have done worth.

I realize that cardio is important for fat burning, and do have a cardio component planned for my workouts-- (I own a heavy bag, boxing workouts are GREAT for cardio and some muscle development-- even shadow boxing can be a great workout)...

I may end up just having to trial and error a lot of this, and maybe even do a strength training themed blog here on the site with my progress--- but would be very, very greatful if someone had some experience with serious weightlifting after being banded.

thanks in advance.

Frank-first off, congrats on the great start.

Like you, I've been lifting weights and been an athlete for my entire life. I've been lifting ever since 2 wks post op. I made sure to check with my surgeon as to when I could get going on that again.

I've done pretty good at keeping my strength up, especially relative to my new weight. I was never a power lifter per se (high bench was 380 and squat was right around your 500), but I can still put up over 330 on the bench and around 400 on the squat-natural, no shirt or suit.

I make sure to concentrate on my Protein and take in as much as I can of quality. Otherwise, I seperate cardio from lifting as much as possible. Cardio in the morning 5-6 mornings a week and weights 4 nights a week. Only now, I concentrate on circuit training more than heavy lifting. I do 3 circuits of 9 upper body exercises twice a wk and 3 circuits of 6 leg exercises another 2 times a wk. I do this in 6 wk cycles. Start with 7 reps/exercise/circuit in wk 1. By wk 6, I'm doing 12 reps of each exercise. My bench weight for this past cycle was 215. So, it is possible to keep the weight up.

Keep up the great work. Sounds like you know what you are doing. Just keep at it.

Guys, I'm really glad I found this post. I am meeting with the Dr. in a week do discuss lap band and muscle/strengh retention have been concerns of mine as well. I'm 6'6'' currently 390-396 depending on the day. I was a college offensive linemen and due to the knee surgery I had, and the toll being overweight will take on my body in the future (knees/heart/etc.)I have pretty much decided to move forward with the band. I would appreciate any advice and input from the other side of the table(post-op)

Thanks in advance,

Dan

This subject is part of my main concern right now too. I'm about a month out for surgery and I've been reading a lot about maintaining my muscle. I've found some really interesting things written about starting out really heavy and how that is not necessarily a bad thing for us as far as muscle is concerned. I've also been reading up on static contraction. I know Im a girl but I'm not afraid one bit of lifting weights. Here is a link. I think you will find this article very interesting. I know I did. It set me on a whole new path of searching and researching.

Why weight loss requires strength training, even in women and seniors by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

Great thread!

Frank the Tank,

This topic is the reason I'm here. I'm a powerlifter who is seriously considering having Band surgery. I'm 6-3 365 at the moment, 40 yrs old. I have an 800 lb squat and 465 lb bench w/ a bad rotator cuff as bests, I know how to move some weight. I've recently thought about getting into bodybuilding and I'm afraid getting the Band may help me lose the fat, but also all my hard earned muscle. It's just a paranoid macho thing I guess, I hate the thought of being "skinny" and "weak". Maybe I'm way off but I'm scared to death of not being able to get enough Protein after the Band to keep and GAIN muscle mass. I want to lower my bodyfat % and lose weight that way, is it possible with the band? Have you had the surgery since your start of this thread? What are you doing now as far as training and how do you feel?