Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I read on here somewhere that when you get the band, the feeling of being full is different. How so? I recently had a bout of something to where i would eat a little of something and I was nauseatingly full for 10+ hours to where i couldnt sleep or anything. If having a band is anything like what I experienced, I dont want to be banded. I'm in month 3 of the pre op diet and I'm very much doubting getting it done.

Aliciaj,

Although not really having too much to say but we are also having to teach ourselves how to even eat properly. You need to chew an awful lot, eat slowly, and very small amounts you need to put in your mouth. The feeling of fullness is different for everyone. You should utlimately never feel like throwing up when full because something then is wrong. Most people with their feeling of fullness is when the chest begins to hurt.

If you bring negativity without being banded then you need to rethink you getting the band. You shouldn't think that the band is what is going to change your life and you need to change your life and mind with that. As they all say, the band is a tool to help control your intake.

Josephine

I'm told to eat until "satisfied", not "full". If you doubt you can do that, or not graze, or stick to all the rules you're right to question getting the band. Did you not address these issues in a seminar? If not you might want to attend another by your surgeon. It isn't for everyone.

It's different, but I don't think in the way you mean. Most, if not all of us here, know very well how to recognized "stuffed to near exploding".... we did it often enough. With the band you cannot eat the way your used to ... that is, you can't inhale large quantities of food so fast you hardly taste it. You have to take small bites, and then you have to chew them well. This slows down how long it takes you to eat a meal. If you eat fast, don't chew well and/or take big bites then you're in for a rude surprise. You'll get stuck, it will hurt ... and sometimes you'll PB and you'll swear you don't want to do that again.

In the process of all this, you will eat the meal in the size you've been told to eat and you'll discover that your stomach isn't screaming at you. In fact, it's quiet. It's called satiety. That's the new full. You will learn what full feels like. What youo think of as full, isn't full; it's overstuffed.

Now, if you don't think you can stick to "the plan", as it were, this isn't for you. You're still going to have to make good choices for the food you do eat. And you'll have to learn to take small bites and chew them well. You'll have to bypass "slider" foods. This isn't a magic wand kind of thing. You have to do your part. These facts may be difficult for you and if that's the case, then, perhaps, the band ISN'T for you.

It's definitely different, I was banded on tuesday and I've had to gradually up my liquids and they havent kept me entirely full yet last night I had thinned out Tomato Soup and I only put one ladle in a bowl and I had about 3/4 of it and was full, I was actually full to the point where your stomach pokes out and you feel it's hard to breathe so I definitely had a couple of spoon fulls to much but yeah it's way different, hard to explain until you get it I guess

I find the feeling exactly the same as I used to, but it just happens on smaller amounts. I think that people talk about being OVER FULL and feeling pain is when they have eaten too quick that they have got so much in that they are stuffed. Easier for that to happen as you would only have to eat 1.5 cups of food for that to happen once banded rather than 15 cups like I used to. Keep asking questions its the best way to find out if you want to do this. Good luck

I went through so many emotions once I made the decision to be banded. Even though I wanted it more than anything I still found myself mourning the fact that there were foods I would never be able to eat again. I also went through periods of fear and doubt. I believe these all to be natural feelings for somebody who lives to eat. I realize I may be off point of the original thread, however, I wanted to just point out that I felt all kinds of feelings in the weeks before surgery. I realized that the main focus of my life was food. The night before surgery my doctor told me to have my "last supper" I gorged myself with bread, margaritas and Mexican food. I felt so sick that night that I knew I would not miss that feeling. Face it, we eat out for entertainment, we Celebrate with food and drinks, going to Starbucks was a night out, etc. The band has helped me to realize that I need food for survival. Food will no longer control me. Eating healthier makes me feel better and have more energy. I recommend you get the band and find out just how much food you should be able to consume and your stomach can hold and if necessary measure it out before you eat it. I still enjoy eating but in a different way. I am enjoying making myself a healthier me!. The only thing I'm struggling with is not drinking Water or any beverage with my meals. I recommend anybody planning to be banded try to adjust to this beforehand.

You know, about drinking and eating together...I was worried about that too but once I finally got good restriction it became a non-issue because I am usually hungry at meal times and I want the food; and if I drink while I'm eating it either hurts or fills me up and hurts. It has become a non-issue for me as it is for some of us. Originally I had to work at it like keeping my Water or tea away from the dinner table etc but now you couldn't PAY me to drink while I'm eating. It's funny how many of the things we worry most about become unimportant as we get our bands filled and adapt. :eek: Even if you aren't one of the lucky ones who can't drink and eat, like Donna you find ways to cope and it is all worth it!

I agree, it's all worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

weight.png

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

Ok- here goes:

It is not a full feeling like you ate too much. When u are banded, you have a small pouch at the top of your stomach that gets filled when you eat too much. So, when that gets filled, you literally, physically CANT eat anymore. If you try to eat more, you will not be able to get it down and you will feel like the food is just sitting there at the top of your band and you will throw it up. Thats called a PB or Productive Burp. Sliming is when you have eaten too much and now will produce a lot of slimey saliva and then you feel like u will throw up and YOU WILL THROW UP! Thats why u have to take small bites, chew alot and eat slowly. Also, there will be times when you eat so fast and dont chew, that you will get a pain in your chest that is horrible. So, its is nothing like eating so much that youre sickeningly full, your band gets full. I still want to eat, but I cant. Not a big deal. Follow the rules and that wont happen. Good luck.

I read on here somewhere that when you get the band, the feeling of being full is different. How so? I recently had a bout of something to where i would eat a little of something and I was nauseatingly full for 10+ hours to where i couldnt sleep or anything. If having a band is anything like what I experienced, I dont want to be banded. I'm in month 3 of the pre op diet and I'm very much doubting getting it done.

Hi - I was banded on April 24th and I had the most horrible chest pains last night - so I came on here to find out why. I obviously ate too fast and not enough chewing. Boy oh boy - thought I was having a heart attack :cursing: - not that I know what that feels like :cursing:.

So - here is the good thing I have learnt a lesson and now I wont do that again. I had a Japanese Bento box - which I used to be able to inhale - yum yum, but yesterday could only do half - I thought that I no longer had any restriction so I would be able to do it. I am seeing my surgeon this afternoon and hopefully I will get a fill soon - haven't asked enough questions I have decided.

But thanks for your help. :cursing:

Satisfied full feels the same to me as it always did.

Overfull though - MUCH more uncomfortable, i even find it hard to breath and have an asthma like urge to cough - in that its not productive or mucousy but tight and irritated.