Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I totally get what you are going thru....I don't know if you are feeling it the same way I am but for me its about not having to think about everything I eat every time I eat it.....I crave that mindless eating, big portions (maybe) but not having to worry about if what I swallow is going to get stuck would be nice. I have only had one of those PB's and it really isn't that fun. I hope that this hits a spot with you or others because I just don't know if others are also craving the "Mindlessness of eating" as I do.

Its funny because I feel the exact opposite. Before I felt like so much of life was taken up with food...what to eat, when, where, who was going to get it, prepare it, clean up after, etc etc. Now it is just so darned EASY! Once you get the knack of chewing your small bites well, this is WAY more "mindless" than the old way, at least to me! No guilt, no "wow I should diet" or if dieting now "wow I should weigh this and count the calories" etc. I just go get some food, eat it, and am done. I LOVE it! I truly feel free, more free than I ever did pre-band. Hopefully you guys can get to this point because it is marvelous.

I totally get what you're saying... You know what I miss?? Big bites!!!

You know, the kind where you take in a so-big-you-have-to-open-wide bite, and your mouth just fills up with saliva and flavor? LOL. I miss those big bites. And I miss my food still being warm by the time I'm done. Sometimes, I just stop eating because my food got cold, since we have to eat so slow now.

I wouldn't trade the band in for a million bucks (ok, maybe I would for a million, but not for $10,000), but I do miss those things!

I feel like everyone goes through a mourning period, but now I feel more free. before my band I would beat myself up over everthing I put into my mouth.. it was terrible, i was sad all the time. and now I allow myself to eat anything in moderation... sometimes I feel that nagging guilt try to come back and I remind myself "amy this is NOT a diet". As long as I eat balanced meals.. i see no reason to deprive myself of a treat. and Honestly im one of the lucky ones (knock on wood) I can eat anything without getting sick or PBing. I just eat small portions and chew well. the only problem im having trouble getting used to is eating slowly... boy is that hard when u have a one year old flinging food at the dinner table lol!!

good luck and keep in mind why u started this journey in the first place. All will be well, it really will.

amy

I already miss soft, chewy bread. I don't have restriction yet (supposed to go on Wednesday the 20), but the other day I took a little bite of bread and it hurt. Even without restriction, some things just don't go down the way they used to. The doctor told me I could have toasted bread, so I have a couple of small pieces of melba toast at breakfast and that's fine. But still! I miss pide!

I can totally relate. I miss food as well. it takes 21 days to form an addiction, so you can imagine what happens when you suddenly stop a food addiction. I have to say it takes a lot of will power to try to control my urges to cheat. I am not even 3 weeks post op. It is very hard, but I must remember my goal.

Sending you to lapband love to boost your spirits!!

I totally understand how you feel. Like most have said, I wouldn't trade my band for anything. However, I do miss mindlessly eating and drinking cokes. Needless to say, I don't miss the thirty pounds I have lost!

All of you/us need to watch the MTV series, TRUE LIFE, "I hate my new body'...

The young guy on there who had the band for 3 years and lost over 100 lbs, decides that he wants to try life with out Fluid, so the Dr. takes out all his fluid. The first thing he does is goes to a restaurant and orders, get this: A turkey wrap with salad and vanilla shake, banana creme pie with a vanilla shake, lemon merengue pie with a vanilla shake AND a huge chocolate brownie with........ you guessed it a vanilla shake!!!

He went thru this binge and when all was said and done, the guilt came on big time. Living without a full band for an entire week, he realized that he wasn't strong enough to maintain his new life and that his old ways were coming back again!!!

He re-filled the next week.

It was a very interesting episode. I get my band in 6 days and getting very nervous about everything, especially giving up my meals.

But in the end, I'm sure it will all be worth it!!!

Cindie: I think missing your favorite foods is a common and legitimate concern among those who have been banded. You have been given some good advice by the previous posters. You do sound too tight and I'm sure you'll have that addressed by your doctor. Good luck.

Boy I can understand this. New post for me...I posted earlier. People have asked me "When you get down to your goal weight, you can have the band removed right?" I have to inform them no way will I do that. This is for life for me. I feel so good now. I can do so much more "stuff" and just crossing my legs is wonderful. A size 12 jeans is wonderful also. Having people now see me for me and not the weight. Being treated well now in stores and other places is great, sad but great. I treat everyone the same, I will never ever change. I go out of my way still to be nice to other overweight people. I have been there. It's not picnic for sure.

Everyone is different here, but we are all fellow bandsters going day to day. I don't look too far ahead.

Pati

I know what you are saying, because there are a lot of emotions that get stuffed down with the food.< /p>

Eating is a very satisfying endeavor.

I am always excited to eat- even if it's my Protein shake! Gee- my food addiction didn't dissapear after 21 days!

So, yes I can relate to the fantasies about going to town on certain foods.

We have to ask ourselves WHY. Probably because we get some sort of good feeling response in the brain. Like a drug addict or alcholic, it calms us, it's our "fix"

BUT- when I am reallllly restricted and not hungry at all things change: I do not care about food- I do not think about eating.

This is why I need my band. It is doing something right for me. It's like I am a dog on a short leash...yanking me away from making bad choices.

For example, pre band if some warm fresh baked bread was placed on the table at a restaurant- I would get so excited and would immediately be shoving it into my mouth in 2 seconds flat. All the while eyeing the other pieces and obsessing over which piece I would devour next. Each bite was heavenly. Then I would order my meal and practically lick the plate clean. Of course an hour or 2 later I would be hungry again.

Now, bread comes to the table and I don't even give it a second thought. It' an automatic "no".

I agree about the mourning period. Afterall, to most of us who are/were morbidly obese, food was/is a very dear friend. I've only been banded for nine days and I have moments when I feel I am definitely mourning a loss, even though I'm celebrating my new weight loss.

We all commit to this lifestyle change when we sign up for the band and "Yay Us!" But they can't suck out our old habits and vices like liposuction. It would be great if they could.

Kudos to Cindie for having the courage to be honest. You meet so many people who have changed their lifestyle and claim that it was so easy for them and, therefore, should be for everyone else.

I think it's totally okay to say, "Man, I miss gorging on some mac & cheese, " or "Gee, I'd love to stuff my whole mouth with a hot slice of pizza." It doesn't mean we should or ever will. It's just good to get your feelings out there and get some validation.

Edited by Chincotigger
Misspelled poster's name

Gee I eat most foods, some are bothersome so I avoid them, I eat some steak, just get a 4 oz. filet which is lean and tender, grill, and cut into very very small bites. Then enjoy eat it slowly savor every bite. I eat macaroni and cheese, I use whole wheat Pasta, and low fat chedder and some other low fat cheeses. Just eat small bowl.

I make a killer Pasta Sauce and I eat a cup of pasta with a cup of sauce. and it's wonderful.

I have been very concerned about the amount of "real" food one can eat post surgery. It sounds like your diet is one that you can live with and not feel deprived. I have heard that yhou can only eat about 2 ounces of food at a time - I don't know how you go through life like that? Your comments have encouraged me. I have my first appointment with my doctor this coming friday. Have to go through 6 months diet w/him to satisfy insurance so worry is rampant.

I understand about missing the binge. I miss it too. I just got my band on the 18th so am still on liquids, but there are times when I think oh I wish I didn't have the band yet so I can go have a mindless binge and all that taste. I know that binging is eating disordered and not healthy and I want to be healthy, but there is still that part of me that misses the binge.

Hello All,

I was going to make a similar post! I was banded on 23 Sept 2008 and after ten fills, I finally have restriction! But, after all this time, I've forgotten many of the 'basics'. I eat without thinking - just like the past - and now here comes the PBing and the pain. I love it and I hate it! I'm finally starting to lose weight. I went almost 5 months without losing a pound and now, since restriction is finally here, I'm eating sooooo much less! And I really miss those long, delicious meals out lingering over a botte of wine. I have no regrets but could someone please remind me of the basics? I know little bites, chew, chew, chew but how much? Seems like by the time I figure out my limit it's too late! Any sugggestions are welcome!