Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post-op: Shooting pain near port incision?

I am 4 days post-op and for the most part (other than hunger!) I feel pretty dang good. My stomach feels almost back to normal, the gas pain is gone, etc. I am still taking it easy, I'm not bending over, not lifting heavy things, etc.

Now. Having said that.

Last night I reached over kind of sideways to pick up something off of my night stand and I had this TERRIBLE shooting pain in my stomach, right near the large incision (port). Kind of below it, actually. I freaked out and sat down right away. It didn't come back.

Just a little bit ago, I did another half-way lean (in the other direction this time! I swear I didn't think it was going to hurt!) and OW OW OW it came BACK! I am so worried to have damaged something... Now it feels tender to the touch, which it hadn't before.

Has anyone else had this? Could I have messed anything up? Is this "normal" healing?

I am pretty worried. ;)

Thanks for any input!

The port is sewn onto a muscle and it takes a while for that area to heal up. It is normal and nothing really to worry over, but if it continues or gets worse then I would see the doc about it. Good luck to you!

Edited by kelliemurray

I had 13 stitches in my finger about a year ago - totally unrelated, I know. But anyway, my five-year-old once threw a ball at me, haphazardly. I wasn't even thinking, and put my hand up to block it from hitting me in the face. The pain was horrible!! And blood everywhere!! But after it was all cleaned up, I noticed the stitches were right where they were supposed to be. They ripped thru the skin like the tiniest minisculist (is that a word?) amount. The pain was worse than the actual damage, is what I'm very long-windedly saying.

So maybe that's what you're feeling. I hope.

Check with your doctor if you're still worried tomorrow, though - better safe than sorry. I know it does take several weeks for it to heal to where it's totally non-tender anymore. Of course, I'm no doctor - just a (hopefully) encouraging friend.

Yea that lasted for me around 5 days couldn't even wipe myself without the burn..sorry tmi.

I feel safe in saying this is all part of the healing process.....

I am almost 7wks post op and still occassionally have that TERRIBLE Stabbing pain at the port area. Depending on the kind of band you had your port was either sewn or claped (with metel "teeth") into your stomach muscles. It is going to take time for your body to adjust your port so yes in the mean time that is going to mean some pain.

I notice it most with either a twising movement or if I'm slouching on the couch and go to sit up, ouch ouch ouch....but the good news is it is getting better and I am having fewer instances of this pain.

If it gets worse or is long lasting or you are noticing any redness around the incission area call your Dr ASAP....otherwise just be patient it'll get better.

~Monica

Thanks guys! I decided that I'd call my surgeon today if it happened again, and so far it has not. I sort of figured it had to do with the muscles and the healing - but I wanted to just see if anyone else had it happen to them.

I go for my post-op this Thursday and I'll ask him then just to verify, but I think for now I have my answer.

Thanks again!! :frown: