Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone :)

So this post is for those of you who have gone to Tijuana for banding and/or fills and had to spend a few nights there.

As some of you may know I am seriously considering having some plastic surgery done in Mexico and I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row as it were. I think I'm pretty certain on the surgeon/facility and will be having a phone consult with him soon (tomorrow probably). Then it will be time to pick some definite dates and I am pretty certain of those as well.

So now we come to flights and hotels... I will be kept in the medical facility for probably 3 or 4 days and then released, however I am planning on staying there for an extra 10 days or so until the drains have been removed and I feel I will be comfortable enough to fly home. So for those of you who have stayed in Tijuana, which hotels did you use? Were you happy with the service/cleanliness/location/facilities? The clinic I will be using is within a block of Dr. Ortiz's clinic so that is the area I will be staying in.

So let me know what you all have experienced !!! Since I will be there a while I am interested in if the rooms have fridges or microwaves... Is there any kind of grocery shopping nearby? Oh heck, just tell me anything you feel is important !!!

Looking forward to some of your thoughts !!!

Patricia

Hi Patricia,

I would highly recommend that you post your question over at lapbandforum.com. The majority of posters there have been to Mexico, and many have stayed in a number of hotels in TJ. There is even a thread there just about the hotels.

I've only personally stayed at the Lucerna, which is where most of Dr. Ortiz's patients stay. The hotel is clean and safe. My only complaint is that it is not very big and there isn't a lot to do, so I was quite bored. However, if you're just looking for a place to rest, that's probably all you need. There are other hotels that others have used in TJ, including the Camino Real (which is a bit closer to Dr. Ortiz's clinic) and the Marriott (which by the pictures looks really nice). But I don't have any direct experience with those hotels. Again, recommended you pop on over to the other forum and check out the hotel reviews there.

I'd be interested to hear your experience with PS, once you have it. I too am thinking of getting PS once all this weight is gone, and may end up doing it in Mexico too.

-Vangirl

Hi Vangirl :crying:

I had never really checked out that site before but have been over there now and joined. I'll read thru it before I post my questions...I may very well find what I'm looking for.

1 of the places that I am looking at in Mexico (Emmanuel Medical Center) uses The City Express. cosmed is the 2nd place I'm looking into, they were recommended by Dr. Ortiz's office, and I'm not sure which hotel they suggest.

I've started pricing airfare and looking at my calendar for an overnight trip down to meet both Dr.'s and have consults.

Thanks for the suggestion to check that other website and hopefully I'll see you at the meeting next week.

Patricia

Had my surgery done may 21/09 in Tijuana at the Emmanuel Medical center. I have never had such good medical care!!! So far I am doing well. Sticking to the diet which right now is Clear Liquids but I have no problems. Good luck to you. I went with a coordinator and hotel was arranged and were very secure.

Patricia, I stayed at the El Camino when I had my band done, but I've since been down for dental work and my banded friend came down at the same time for her plastic surgery.

We stayed in the Best Western in San Ysidro, and much preferred that to staying in TJ. First, it was cheaper. They have special medical rates. It has a nice little outdoor pool and a convenience store and restaurant right there.

There are free shuttle vans that will take you to your clinic. (We always gave generous tips). It only takes a few minutes. You sign up the night before for the 7,9 or 11 am shuttle. When you're done the clinic calls them for you to be picked up. I believe almost all the dentists, surgeons and cancer clinics in TJ use the vans.

The main clincher for me, though, is that it's way cheaper to call home from the US than Mexico. I made one short call from there once and it cost $50 bucks.

PM me if you want more specific information.

Obese Solutions is the ObeseSurgery department of the hospital but they do cosmetic surgeries and they have their own recovery house with 24hr nurses and you have extra room for your family who travels with you at no extra charge, and they give you a vonage phone to call everywhere... many more thing you can check it out at obese solutions