Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Relize band vs allergen all banders

Realize is manufactured by Johnson & Johnson and has only been on the market for a couple of years. Lap Band AP by Allergan/Inamed is the original in the US and has been in use for (I think) 7 or 8 years. So your answer will be skewed because of that, if nothing else. They are very much the same as far as function as they have all have a port used to tighten the restriction by adding saline. The Realize band comes in 9cc and the Lap Band AP comes in 10cc and 14cc. It used to be manufactured in a 4cc size but that was discontinued about 2 years ago.

Having said all that, I have the Lap Band AP 10cc. My surgeon prefers the Lap Band AP and he chose the volume size of the band. I wouldn't have presumed to say I'd prefer one over the other....that's why I sought out a VERY experienced surgeon. I have no complaints or regrets regarding his choice.

I also have the 10cc Lap Band. My surgeon lets you choose but I could not get a feel for what the differences/benefits were so I asked him which one he defaults to and went with that. Like Cathy, I used a very experienced surgeon and decided to just go with what he defaults to. I've had no problems with it so far.

i have the realize band...i was asked literally 10 mins b4 surgery if i wanted the realize band....at that point i was tired...hungry....and anxious....i told my surgeon he could put a great white in my stomach 4 all i cared....lol....the realize band has the online tracking site...which i've never used...my surgeon preferred the realize band....but i dont think one is better than the other.....

I don't have either band yet but my surgeon said that he will likely use a Realize band on me. However, he said that he usually doesn't make the decision until he gets inside and sees everything, which is fine with me. Other than the patient-directed benefits (like the website), I don't know what the clinical implications of the different designs are. They both are supposed to be efficacious and safe. If your surgeon prefers one over the other I think that's fine.

ParrotheadCathy: The 4cc band by Allergan is not discontinued. It was put in me in Sept. 2008. In the process of trying to find out what band I actually had, I got the serial number and catalog reference number and I called Allergan and they told me it is not discontinued. My doctor's office told me I had the AP Standard 10 - which I do not - and my doctor aggressively filled me with 2cc's the first fill and 1cc the second fill when I developed a lot of problems. I don't know if he actually thought I had the 10cc band. Because of this (and other reasons) I have changed doctors.

My doc recommends and prefers the Allergan third generation, but will put in the others if requested. I thought the realize band felt "cushier" but I have yet to meet someone online or IRL who is banded and says they "feel" their band... so I'm not sure that even matters. :thumbup:

I got the Realize Band. My surgeon does both. He was willing to give me either but he likes the Realize band because of the lower profile port and its' construction. The Realize port is hard plastic so if he misses with the needle on a fill (which is common) the needle can't puncture the Realize port like it can the Lap Band port which is a soft material and potentially cause a leak. The way the Realize port attaches to your stomach is also different. It "clamps" on with these sharp little teeth versus being stitched on to the muscle. The stitches, I'm told can break more easily. I think you'll be fine with either, go with what the Doctor that you trust recommends.

Edited by REALIZEinCT
Added more.

I have the APS - 10 cc's. My doctor did not ask me which band I wanted (thank goodness) . I trust him and knew that he knew better than I did what would be best for me. No problems so far. Becky

I have the newest Realize Band 11 cc. I don't think it has been out very long. That is the only band my surgeon uses now. I've been very happy with it. My surgeon doesn't put any saline in the band during surgery, but I have had restriction. Now some of that, I realize, is from the swelling. But I am now 4 weeks post op and it still only takes a few bites to make me full...but I'm noticing that I'm getting hungrier sooner. I'm happy with mine so far!!!

I have the Realize band--my surgeon said that he's done roughly the same amount of surgery using both. He had no preference. I don't want you to think I did the surgery on a whim, I did ask a million questions before and after surgery but he didn't tell me anything that made me choose the Realize.

It would have been the same if I'd tossed a coin.

I have the realize band and was given the choice. I had no reason to choose this one over the Lapband, but I am happy with it. I have a friend who was banded with the Lapband and has had 5 fills and is not restricted and I have had 2 and so far very restricted since second fill 3 weeks ago. We use the same surgeon so she chose the opposite of what I did. I am happy with my choice and have had no problems.

I have the 10cc Lap Band, I let my Dr. make the choice once he got in there and decided which he thought would be best.