Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first fill & lots of PB's

I was banded 7 weeks ago. I had my first fill last week. Before my fill, I had no restriction at all & could eat anything - although I chose not to. I've lost 20 lbs so far.

I am having a hard time eating real food without PBing. I can't eat ANY bread, rice, biscuits, tortillas.......anything made with white flour. They cause very painful PB's even if I chew them to mush.

I can get chicken, cooked carrots, eggs & green Beans to go down, but it takes me forever to eat just a few bites. After only a small portion, (3-4 tiny bites) I start to feel pressure in my chest & stop. I know If I eat one more bit, I'll be in severe pain.

I ate a small portion of salad that went down yesterday. Today I tried salad again & I PB'd big time!!! I'm a little frustrated.

I am supposed to go to dinner with my sister tonight & I am afraid to eat anything publicly!! I don't want to have to live in the bathroom the whole night or be in pain & can't enjoy the night.

Is this normal after a fill? Will it eventually settle down & I can eat again or is really the way it's supposed to be?!?

I am having a hard time eating real food without PBing. I can't eat ANY bread, rice, biscuits, tortillas.......anything made with white flour. They cause very painful PB's even if I chew them to mush.

Most of us can't eat these items, they are famous for plugging us up. You need to eat hard items such as Protein. Sometimes people can't eat salads either. Start with Protein, then if you have room some veggies, then fruit or carbs.

Also remember that when you pb, you need to do liquids for 24-48 hours before adding food back again.

Betty stated

"Also remember that when you pb, you need to do liquids for 24-48 hours before adding food back again."

What do you mean? Could you get a little more graphic for me about "productive burping"? I thought that it is OK to continue eating once things pass through.

I am going in for my first fill in a couple weeks - and I currently feel just like Diane said before the fill - that I can basically eat anything. I know that the fill will be when the real adjustment for me begins!

I didnt have that problem with my first fill but my second fill did it to me. I dont eat too many carbs at all any more. I stick with the protien and the veggies. I find I have a much easier time of things and carbs are what got me here to begin with. You will find that protien is your best friend. Also - especially when out in public remember go SLOW, put your fork down. Chat a lot, then take another small bite. I have not had any problems in public but I really keep an eye on what I am doing when I am out and I really keep that slow pace.

I can't eat ANY bread, rice, biscuits, tortillas.......anything made with white flour.

Like Betty said, most of us can not eat those things with the proper restriction

I know for me my first few bites of food I feel pressure but I wait a minute or two then continue...One thing that works for me to take small bites is to eat from a small (Crab) fork, the tiny forks, it forces me to take smaller bites and it works well.

How much did you get on your first fill? Sometimes having as little as .2 of a cc removed can make a huge difference in being able to eat but yet still giving enough restriction to still lose weight. If you are Pbing more then once a week, I would let your Dr. know about it, this is one of the things my Dr. tells me. and he told me

Pbing often is not good for the longevity of your band and you could risk the band slipping especially if you are newly banded and the band has not had adequate time to set into place and scar tissue to form.

Again like Betty said is true too about doing liquids for atleast 24 hrs after a PB so any swelling in your esophagus will go down or you could start a vicious cycle, eat pb, eat pb. I know this real good, it happened to me and I got the worst case of esophagitis and it was very painful.

Also remember that when you pb, you need to do liquids for 24-48 hours before adding food back again.

Yes! This is very important. Your esophagus is inflamed which will lead to more PB's. It becomes a viscious cycle! Since you just got a fill last week you need to slooooow things down girl. Go mushies at least for a few days.

Also...eating with a fill is a WHOLE other experience. What worked before doesn't work now. Go slow, try new food. See what works and what doesn't.

Sounds to me like you have good restriction. Once you get those white flour refined carbs out of your diet you'll watch the pounds drop off!

Oh to not be able to eat processed carbs! They are my danger food, whoever said those are what got me here in the first place, I'm in total agreement! Its taken me a long time to get my head around possibly not being able to eat those things anymore! I hope I can still eat nutritious wholegrains though!

Perhaps though you just need more time and more settling in before you can really eat a wide variety of food?

i just wanna point out that its recommend you go straight liquids for the 3 days following a PB