Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 1st Banders...How did it go?

Bumping this back up to the top!

Do we have any updates yet? How did everything go, 1sters? Can't wait to hear from ya'll! :thumbdown:

Greetings everyone. My May 1st surgery went great. It seemed to be over in an instant. I remember going into the preop area and the nurses starting an IV, then being wheeled into the OR and taking a couple to deep breaths from a mask and then waking up in recovery. I arrived at 6:30 AM a half hour before my scheduled arrival time only to find out that my surgery time was moved up and that I was late....of course no one bothered to call me. The nurses ran around like crazy to get me prepped for surgery. I'm a nurse myself so I told them to cut out the small talk and get down to business and get me ready. Normally you need to be at the hospital 2 hours before the surgery, but they got me ready in 1/2 hour. I have not had to use any pain medications. I only have mild discomfort which seems more blotting and gas related rather than surgical incisions. It is getting better as time passes. Walking helps to move the gas out. I do have the typical left shoulder discomfort that I have read about which my surgeon said was normal do to all the gas they pump in you during surgery. I did have to have an extra dose of Zofran (anti-nausea medication) once I actually stood up for the first time. What a great drug...the nausea subsided instantly. I'm forcing myself to drink fluids but I have not had any appetite for 3 days which is a little odd because usually if I forget to eat Breakfast I am ready to chew my arm off by lunch. So far, so good. I will keep everyone posted. Good luck to everyone that is having surgery this month.

Great to hear from you, Doug. Glad it all went so well! :thumbdown: That's funny you told the nurses to stop their small talk and get down to business -- you really wanted that operation!

Your story puts my mind at ease about the pain afterward. Thanks for coming on the board so quickly and letting us know how it went. Hope it all continues to go just as well! ;)

Greetings everyone. My May 1st surgery went great. It seemed to be over in an instant. I remember going into the preop area and the nurses starting an IV, then being wheeled into the OR and taking a couple to deep breaths from a mask and then waking up in recovery. I arrived at 6:30 AM a half hour before my scheduled arrival time only to find out that my surgery time was moved up and that I was late....of course no one bothered to call me. The nurses ran around like crazy to get me prepped for surgery. I'm a nurse myself so I told them to cut out the small talk and get down to business and get me ready. Normally you need to be at the hospital 2 hours before the surgery, but they got me ready in 1/2 hour. I have not had to use any pain medications. I only have mild discomfort which seems more blotting and gas related rather than surgical incisions. It is getting better as time passes. Walking helps to move the gas out. I do have the typical left shoulder discomfort that I have read about which my surgeon said was normal do to all the gas they pump in you during surgery. I did have to have an extra dose of Zofran (anti-nausea medication) once I actually stood up for the first time. What a great drug...the nausea subsided instantly. I'm forcing myself to drink fluids but I have not had any appetite for 3 days which is a little odd because usually if I forget to eat breakfast I am ready to chew my arm off by lunch. So far, so good. I will keep everyone posted. Good luck to everyone that is having surgery this month.

Doug~Glad to hear everything went well for you. I'm having my surgery tomorrow and I'm alittle unsettled but I know it will be fine. Keep us posted!

Congrats Doug!!! Your story made me both nervous and even more excited. I am glad it went well. :smile:

Deb, you're next! Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes!

Doug - CONGRATS.......I'm glad all went well. Keep up the good progress.............:unsure:

My surgery was super fast as well. I left the house at 5:35 to get over to the surgery center by 6:15 am, and was back in the comfort of my own bed by 11:00 am. I have 5 incisions, and they are all very close together. I am allergic to adhesive, so I was stitched up instead of steri-stripped. My tummy is pretty purple and sore. I didn't feel hunger until this morning about 5:30 am. It woke me from a deep sleep, so I drank a Protein Shake and went back to bed. So far, so good.

I did have to use my pain meds, thank God for those. My stomach feels like I really overdid an ab workout, especially when I take a deep breath or laugh. I haven't had a poo yet, and imagine that might hurt from the soreness as well.Gas finally started moving Day 3.

The doc came out to talk to my mom after all was done, and said he recommended me moving to mushies on Day 4 or 5 if I needed to, instead of liquids for an entire week. Apparently the band isn't one size fits all when it is unfilled, so I've got quite a bit of room around it according to the pics. He said I was kind of on the "skinny side" once he got in there. I knew I was a skinny girl in a voluptuous body!

Post op appointment is May 14. My first fill is June 2nd.

My surgery was super fast as well. I left the house at 5:35 to get over to the surgery center by 6:15 am, and was back in the comfort of my own bed by 11:00 am. I have 5 incisions, and they are all very close together. I am allergic to adhesive, so I was stitched up instead of steri-stripped. My tummy is pretty purple and sore. I didn't feel hunger until this morning about 5:30 am. It woke me from a deep sleep, so I drank a Protein shake and went back to bed. So far, so good.

I did have to use my pain meds, thank God for those. My stomach feels like I really overdid an ab workout, especially when I take a deep breath or laugh. I haven't had a poo yet, and imagine that might hurt from the soreness as well.Gas finally started moving Day 3.

The doc came out to talk to my mom after all was done, and said he recommended me moving to mushies on Day 4 or 5 if I needed to, instead of liquids for an entire week. Apparently the band isn't one size fits all when it is unfilled, so I've got quite a bit of room around it according to the pics. He said I was kind of on the "skinny side" once he got in there. I knew I was a skinny girl in a voluptuous body!

Post op appointment is May 14. My first fill is June 2nd.

Congratulations, KLP, you skinny thing! :unsure: I'm jealous that you got to go home the same day. I have to stay overnight. Keep us updated on your progress!

Thank you for posting your stories!! I'm so happy everything went well for you! This is reassuring - mine is on the 13th!! I can't wait! Did pre-op today.

Day 6 of the 14 day liquid diet - I'm not even hungry. It's really strange but I'm thankful.

Please keep posting and let us know how things progress for you.

Congratulations!!

So glad to know that everyones Surgery went well.

Can't wait till mine May14th.

Good luck everyone :tt2::thumbup::thumbup:

thanks for the updates. I am happy that everyone has had successful surgeries. Makes me feel a little easier about mine coming up friday.

Had my surgery on Friday, May 1st and wasn't a bit nervous. Was all prepared by reading books (Kahlia Ali's was the best), reading Banster forums and just asking question at my clinic. I never felt so ready for anything in my life and I have to tell you that anyone I know or who I've read about on the net say it's the best thing they ever did!

I was Scheduled at the clinic (not hospital) for 12, but taken at 1:00. Taken in...had an IV...a little oxygen and out like a lite....woke up and only felt the pain in the left shoulder from the gas. I was given a Gasx strip to melt in my mouth. My Husband was waiting and went home at 4:30. Just zipped on Water until the morning when I had pain in the chest (which the doctor warned me) from him fixing my hiatal hernia. There was NO incision pain at all!. Got to walk around to release the gas. 2nd day I had apple juice in samll amounts, water, chicken Soup and watered down Protein Drink to make sure all goes throught the band. I was never one to pamper myself, but forced myself to stay home all weekend and relax. A little discomfort at night cause you have to sleep on propped up pillow and sleep on your back otherwise you feel a little discomfort between your chest. I did take children's tylenol liquid for my chest pain, but never had (thank GOODNES) no nausea.

Went out for dinner with my family and had chicken broth...you really don't care much about the food cause you've already put too much into the journey of the new you. Went home to rest have a shake and tomorrow is another day. Have lost 12 pounds on an 11 day preope and 3 pounds since surgery=15POUNDS....BEST THING I EVER DID! NEVER going to worry about gaining my weight back again.

good luck and don't worry!

So glad to know that everyones Surgery went well.

Can't wait till mine May14th.

Good luck everyone :blink::thumbdown::thumbup:

Hi NF,

Just wanted to say hi...you're surgery is the day before mine and we are the exact starting weight. I think it would be fun to follow eachother and see how we're doing..what do you think? Are you on the preop diet yet?? I started on May 1st and it's super hard.

Hope to talk soon

Rosa:smile2:

Sorry it took a bit....buy my May 1st banding went well. I had some pain but my problems werent until the next day when I started dry heaving and vomiting. My Md told me to come in, I went in they took 2.5cc out of my band and kept me in the hospital for 2 days!! I am back to work now a week later on restriction. I have lost about 10 llbs as of the am. The dry heaving and such has made me pretty sore... I hope nobody has to experience that !!! I now am still on liquids....go back to md on wednesday!! any questions just ask???:glare: